The Orville Props

Your Scanner/Comm. is looking good.

Here is a screen capture of the front - open.

orville 11a.jpg

I will have the Sapphire Blue Award medal finished by mid week. Have the medal and ribbon, waiting on a display box.

Done.
IMG_1197.JPG
J

thumb_iHeartHalston_HalstonSageNet_TheOrville1x02Screencaps_700.jpg

Last edited:
Your model is flawed man, don't take me wrong. What you have done looks good but the bottom of the scanner is much longer than your build i
MyCommScannerBuild.jpg
The bottom of the scanner is more like this....

I think Dragon88 is right about the ratio of the straight section to the angled section. (by comparing along the right hand edge of the comm. )

It looks great as is and it's hard to measure, but I think it's off by a bit if you're looking for perfection. :)

Anyone know who is making the props and costumes for the show?

ABC Props.

That's is what Scott told me. I also asked him, What is the official name of the gun, he said "gun".
Seriously, as of yet, according to Seth, there is no official name for the gun that will be heard on the show.
I had a visit to the set, but we did not get to see anything except KRILL props, which were amazing.

The fabrics are really nice. (I work on the show). I THINK Joseph sources the fabric from china. a bunch of the stuff is custom made fabric, so you might have to wing-it and find something close.

I'm working on the costumes. I found a pattern to use for the tops that won't take much modification at all. Kwik Sew 4032 is for a fleece jacket, but it already has the blocking in the pattern for the various colors of the uniform (gray collar and shoulders, main color front and back, and black sides). All you need to do is trim it in for a better fit, leave out the pockets, and add piping and the shoulder ranks. I'm planning on making the ranks from EVA and securing them with a thin, strong grip velcro. The bottoms appear to be a simple slacks pattern with thin piping matching the color block of the upper uniform.

I have tried contacting the costume designer through his agent to get information on what the mesh-like color pieces of the uniforms are made of, but while the agent responded quickly (and positively) and promised to forward my email, I have not yet heard back from Porro himself. Since it's been over a month, I'm not optimistic that I'll actually hear back from him.

So, if anyone can identify the textured mesh that the costumes are made of, I would LOVE to be able to get ahold of some. I've searched all the meshes I can find on the internet, but they don't have the right mix of horizontal lines and hole pattern.

Here's a real high res pic of one of the uniforms that really captures the odd mesh. https://scifanatic-wpengine.netdna-.../08/or-s1_07-peter-hallway_1110_R1_hires1.jpg

I started working with my 3D Modeling program and wanted to try my hand at the Orville Scanner/Comm prop.

orville scanner model 1.jpg orville scanner model front and back.jpg

There will be a front, back, top and two buttons. Still working the details.

Last edited:
As I was working on the 3D model of the OCS, I thought I would add the other details as well.
1. The mechanics for the pop up part.
2. A stand in cube rendering for glowing acrylic piece.
3. Battery compartment with rear door (to come).

I will be using a small solenoid for the pop up release and 2 extension springs for the action.
The push button will be where the black buttons are.

I am just learning to 3D model (as of 3 days ago) and though I would try doing this scanner as well as the scanner from 2049 Blade runner,
so please forgive the crudeness.

Of course I am just using pictures found on the net and eye balling it.

Here is a quick little video of my progress:

https://youtu.be/J2gM7W0bUE8

orville 1.JPG orville 2.JPG orville 3.JPG

orville 4.JPG orville 5.JPG orville 6.JPG

Thanks for looking
Happy New Year :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, it is a new year and I have made some improvement in my skill set.

Back around Christmas I started to learn to do 3D Rendering/Modeling and my first project is this Scanner/Comm.
prop.
After coming up with a reasonable facsimile, I bought a 3D printer and learning to use that as well.

I couldn't wait for having the prop created and become available, so I decided to try doing it myself.
Here is my first attempt at Modeling and Printing:

https://youtu.be/VStjqxhe5ac

Happy New Year :)

Looks good PropMaster. Here's the version I've been working on. I was able to take off work for the holidays and have been able to make quite a bit of progress.

Comparison.jpg

DrewSmith007 ,

It looks as though this is one prop that a lot of people want as well as one that many are looking to create (with there own flare :) ).

Since the inside and back view of the real one is still a mystery, I guess it is open for interpretation.

oville scanner sm.jpg
Do you have pictures of the back and inside of yours?
Are you using springs or rubber bands to lift the screen?
How are you handling the battery supply and are you going to make the buttons active for the LEDs and pop-up feature ?

Nice job.

oville scanner sm.jpg

Thanks.

I'm using rubber bands, couldn't find extension springs that were small enough when the screen is up, and able to extend far enough when closed.

20180101_181615.jpg20180101_181607.jpg

Battery is an A23. I like your rechargeable idea though.

This battery holder: https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/mpd-memory-protection-devices/BH23AW/BH23AW-ND/2439315

Will fit in the rectangular spot near the bottom.

View attachment 784028

The right button pushes backwards to release the screen to pop-up. The left button moves the same way, but it is intended to be used with a tactile button to cycle modes on an arduino, but that's a ways down the road. Here's a cross section to show the latch mechanism to release the screen:

Cross Section.png

It isn't screen accurate (you can see the top half of the back when they're scanning the bible in "The Krill") but it will be functional and not really visible.

That's funny about using rubber bands to activate a mechanical motion on props. It is the simplest means to accomplish the task and since a prop
is used for a few scenes, it can easily be replaced when ready for filming. Movie magic :)
As far as using a mechanical release, I had given that some thought as well, but I could see the "mechanism" that held the pop-up closed, so I
opted to go the electronic release route. I guess if the lower release was on the back, it would be harder to see from the front when open.
I will be using the small tactile push buttons to active my release.

Thanks for the pics. :)

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back