The Orville Props

Thanks.

I'm using rubber bands, couldn't find extension springs that were small enough when the screen is up, and able to extend far enough when closed.

View attachment 784030View attachment 784029

Battery is an A23. I like your rechargeable idea though.

This battery holder: https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/mpd-memory-protection-devices/BH23AW/BH23AW-ND/2439315

Will fit in the rectangular spot near the bottom.

View attachment 784028

The right button pushes backwards to release the screen to pop-up. The left button moves the same way, but it is intended to be used with a tactile button to cycle modes on an arduino, but that's a ways down the road. Here's a cross section to show the latch mechanism to release the screen:

View attachment 784031

It isn't screen accurate (you can see the top half of the back when they're scanning the bible in "The Krill") but it will be functional and not really visible.

You've done a nice job on modelling and factoring in lighting to your scanner.

As propmaster2000 said, a nice simple approach to the pop-up mechanism, using the elastic bands.

I would maybe be a tad concerned that the tension force on the body of the prop exerted by the stretch of the bands may cause the shell of the prop to warp over time.

Looking good, I like the way you attached the bands. Do you know what solenoid you're going to use? Will it be always on, and the button releases, or will it be off with the solenoid releasing some latch when triggered?

For now, my plan is to use a small latch with a spring. When the top is pushed in, it will latch automatically.
Then the solenoid (which is off) will be powered to move the latch and release the pop-up.
Not sure what solenoid to use yet, but it has to be powered with 6v.
May end up using a miniature gear motor instead of the solenoid (still in the design stage)...

I've modeled the badges and would be happy to supply the files if anyone wants them.
Command_Central_orville v5.pngengineering_orville v6.pngmedical_orville v5.pngsecurity_orville v4.png

Attachments

• Command_Central_orville v2.png
    Command_Central_orville v2.png
    158.9 KB · Views: 94
  • engineering_orville v4.png
    engineering_orville v4.png
    176.1 KB · Views: 95
  • medical_orville v4.png
    medical_orville v4.png
    172.7 KB · Views: 101
  • security_orville v3.png
    security_orville v3.png
    151.4 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:
Yes it was pretty much worthless. the PM-44 picture on it, was a concept. It is missing quite a bit of detail.
Im working on my own version with a very talented artist at the moment. Funny how many people are working on them!

The few I have seen available, are nice from the side..but too skinny. Everyone gets the thickness of the gun wrong. Or the buttons are off.
The ones on the show are SO tightly controlled, it is impossible to get access to them. The cast has to sign them out and in BLOOD practically!

- - - Updated - - -

Here is a teaser of mine. Need to adjust a few things in the grip.

Current.jpg

Gun2.png

Gun.jpg

Current.jpg

Last edited:
This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back