Subscribe
  1. RPF Premium Member
    2 Weeks Ago  Oct 8, 2017, 7:28 PM - Presenting my Meteroite Collection #1

Since most of us enjoy science fiction I figured some of you might be interested in another hobby of mine.

I discovered you could buy meteorites 2006 and have been steadily growing my collection but progress is slow because I only collect spheres

This makes my collection very unique because, as far as I know, I am the only collector that does this. I'm not saying that another person with deep pockets couldn't copy my collection but I was the first and so far the only person to focus on spheres

Most of the meteorite community thought I was crazy at first but then as my collection grew they warmed up to the premise

Others collect whole specimens, end cuts and or slices but I went with spheres because they give you a different perspective of a meteorite.

There are only a few readily available spheres and they are made from the most common material and the size is dependent on the whole specimen that it is made from.

Since my collection was only going to be comprised of spheres I decided to set the size of my spheres to 50mm. Had I selected a smaller size, I could have quickly obtained a large collection. If I went larger, I would still be looking for my first specimen.

However, finding 50mm Meteorite Spheres was more difficult than expected, so I learned how to make them. I developed a new less wasteful process which I use to make spheres for my collection & I found a very good sphere shop in Texas called The Rare Earth Trading Company which I use for materials that I cannot work.

So far I have collected 20 meteorite or meteorite related spheres and I just bought a Mesosiderite, which has been very difficult to locate at an affordable price

Here is my collection, the individual images are listed in the order they were obtained.

GIBEON

IAV / FINE OCTAHEDRITE IRON- 488 GRAMS

NWA 869

L3/6 CHONDRITE - 225 GRAMS

CAMPO

IAB-MG / COARSE IRON - 485 GRAMS

BRAHIN

PALLASITE - 335 GRAMS

SEYMCHAN

IIE / UNGROUPED IRON - 520 GRAMS

GUANG DONG

TEKTITE - 145 GRAMS

NWA 2828

EL3 CHONDRITE - 158 GRAMS

DRONINO

ATAXITE / UNGROUPED IRON- 536 GRAMS

GAO-GUENIE

H5 CHONDRITE - 227 GRAMS

URUACU

IAB-MG / COARSE IRON - 533 GRAMS

NININGER

MUSEUM WALL BRICK- 171 GRAMS

BLACK ONAPING

SUDBURY IMPACT MELT- 185 GRAMS

TOLUCA

IAB-sLL COARSE IRON- 528 GRAMS

CANYON DIABLO

GRAPHITE - 247 GRAMS

NWA 791

L6 CHONDRITE - 220 GRAMS

DHOFAR 1289

L4 CHONDRITE - 214 GRAMS

LIBYAN GLASS

IMPACT MELT GLASS - 147 GRAMS

ZAG

H3/6 CHONDRITE - 246 GRAMS

GHUBARA

L5 CHONDRITE - 230 GRAMS

DHOFAR 1724

H4 CHONDRITE - 222 GRAMS

Last edited by Boba Debt; 1 Week Ago at 7:47 PM.
    2 Weeks Ago  Oct 8, 2017, 9:03 PM - Re: Presenting my Meteroite Collection #2

Great to see your collection. I think that collecting the spheres is an excellent idea. For me the shape adds to the other worldly feel of the meteorite specimen.
    From
    Jamison, Pennsylvania
    1 Week Ago  Oct 9, 2017, 7:11 PM - Re: Presenting my Meteroite Collection #3

Very cool!
  4. Lord Commander RPF Premium Member Gordon Gekko's Avatar
    From
    Tejas
    1 Week Ago  Oct 10, 2017, 9:20 AM - Re: Presenting my Meteroite Collection #4

Dems some real nice rocks! Congrats. Any tips for getting into the hobby?
  5. RPF Premium Member
    1 Week Ago  Oct 10, 2017, 10:27 AM - Re: Presenting my Meteroite Collection #5

Gordon Gekko said: View Post
    Dems some real nice rocks! Congrats. Any tips for getting into the hobby?
    Get a second job

eBay is the best place to start looking for meteorites if you just want to buy, it has the largest selection available anywhere.

In addition to my sphere collection I also have a 4.2 pound Campo Iron Whole Specimen and 1.1 pound unclassified NWA Chondrite

From
    Miamisburg, OH (near Dayton)
    1 Week Ago  Oct 10, 2017, 8:02 PM - Re: Presenting my Meteroite Collection #6

You've got some balls...

Very cool!
    From
    Annapolis MD
    1 Week Ago  Oct 10, 2017, 8:51 PM - Re: Presenting my Meteroite Collection #7

Dammit, another hobby that I didn't know I needed to be involved with until I clicked on this thread!

Very cool.
    From
    Peoria, AZ, USA
    1 Week Ago  Oct 10, 2017, 9:22 PM - Re: Presenting my Meteroite Collection #8

Get thee behind me, additional hobby!
  9. Lord Commander RPF Premium Member Gordon Gekko's Avatar
    From
    Tejas
    1 Week Ago  Oct 10, 2017, 9:31 PM - Re: Presenting my Meteroite Collection #9

Yeah, thanks BD! I didn't know I needed round space rocks till I clicked your thread.
  10. RPF Premium Member
    1 Week Ago  Oct 11, 2017, 1:03 PM - Re: Presenting my Meteroite Collection #10

Sorry guys, but if you need to assuage your urge to buy a space rock I have a pile of them listed for 25 cents a gram in the Junkyard.
  11. RPF Premium Member
    1 Week Ago  Oct 12, 2017, 11:49 AM - Re: Presenting my Meteroite Collection #11

This is the core machine I used to make my first iron sphere from a 57 pound Campo Whole Specimen

It took 2 days and it resulted in a 7 1/2 core that was just over 2” in diameter

I had that core turned on a lathe into 2 separate spheres, one for m y collection and one for eBay. I also sold the remaining whole specimen on eBay for more then I paid for it.

Because it was so time consuming that was the only time I used it.

Now I have a machine shop that turns a 51mm x 51mm x 60mm rough into my 50mm sphere

This is the steel prototype

Once I polish it I remove the hexagonal stem, sand and polish that area and then I etch the entire sphere

I modified an MK-100 Brick and Paver saw so that I could cut stones and irons to make my sphere roughs

Instead of using a band saw with a kerf so wide that you get 25-30% cut I use a .030” abrasive blade that produces slices that are almost ready to etch with about 5-7% cut.

Here is an example of a freshly cut iron slice, it have not been sanded nor polished

I have processed meteorites for hunters on a profit sharing basis but I only do that if they have a material that I can use for a sphere in my collection.

I also buy whole specimens to make spheres and I always sell the left over end cuts, slices and “scraps” at very competative prices.

In the near future I will have some nice large Bondoc Mesosiderite end cuts and slices that I will list for sale but if you’re not an rabid meteorite collector and just want a space rock I have lots of little left overs from my previous sphere projects that I sell super cheap.
  12. RPF Premium Member
    1 Week Ago  Oct 13, 2017, 12:57 PM - Re: Presenting my Meteroite Collection #12

Bondoc Mesosiderite-B4 Meteorite – The Good & the Bad

I received my Bondoc whole specimen yesterday and I processed it into my sphere rough cube today.

The GOOD – Very easy to cut

The BAD – not a lot of visible metal

Here is a picture of the whole specimen

Here is a picture of it after cutting

Overall I will be happy to have a meso sphere in my collection, I just wish it had more metal in it.

I plan to sell the end cuts and slices but don’t really know what it’s worth so if you have an opinion on it value per gram please reply

I am soaking a small slice in phosphoric acid so we will see how that turns out
  13. Lord Commander RPF Premium Member Gordon Gekko's Avatar
    From
    Tejas
    1 Week Ago  Oct 13, 2017, 5:47 PM - Re: Presenting my Meteroite Collection #13

Well, I didn't get a sphere as my first meteorite purchase, but how was I going to resist a Campo del Cielo shaped like a tiny 49 gm Star Destroyer?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CampoSielo01.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	27.2 KB 
ID:	765971

If I go into debt doing this, you know who I'm blaming!
  14. RPF Premium Member D48thRonin's Avatar
    1 Week Ago  Oct 13, 2017, 6:49 PM - Re: Presenting my Meteroite Collection #14

Really impressive collection

I picked up a chunk of the Canyon Diablo (around 500 grams) back in the late 80's from Robert Haag (back when he was THE man to get stuff from). Probably around that same time period I also acquired a smaller chunk (about 170 grams) from Odessa, TX, if I remember correctly (also nickel-iron). Don't recall who I got that one from... I'm sure it was at a gem and mineral show.

The main appeal for me is being able to hold something in my hand that isn't indigenous to the Earth - that's pretty special.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CIMG1695.JPG 
Views:	10 
Size:	180.3 KB 
ID:	765972
  15. RPF Premium Member
    1 Week Ago  Oct 14, 2017, 12:00 AM - Re: Presenting my Meteroite Collection #15

Gordon Gekko said: View Post
    Well, I didn't get a sphere as my first meteorite purchase, but how was I going to resist a Campo del Cielo shaped like a tiny 49 gm Star Destroyer?

If I go into debt doing this, you know who I'm blaming!

You're WELCOME

D48thRonin said: View Post
    Really impressive collection

I picked up a chunk of the Canyon Diablo (around 500 grams) back in the late 80's from Robert Haag (back when he was THE man to get stuff from). Probably around that same time period I also acquired a smaller chunk (about 170 grams) from Odessa, TX, if I remember correctly (also nickel-iron). Don't recall who I got that one from... I'm sure it was at a gem and mineral show.

The main appeal for me is being able to hold something in my hand that isn't indigenous to the Earth - that's pretty special.

That's a nice looking CD

Yes just holding a space rock seems to be neat to everyone , except the doubters.
  16. RPF Premium Member
    1 Week Ago  Oct 14, 2017, 12:13 AM - Re: Presenting my Meteroite Collection #16

This is my first processed slice of the Bondoc B-4 Mesosiderite

It has an interesting look.

This piece is just over 1 3/4” wide and weighs 10 grams so at $3 per gram this would be $30

In a couple days I will list a small lot of slices and end cuts in the Junkyard, but if you want dibs on a piece send an email to bobadebt@ec.rr.com
  17. RPF Premium Member
    1 Week Ago  Oct 15, 2017, 1:30 AM - Re: Presenting my Meteroite Collection #17

My collection from June 2006

From
    Brussels
    1 Week Ago  Oct 15, 2017, 3:07 AM - Re: Presenting my Meteroite Collection #18

thanks again for sharing, I had no idea about that collecting and of course never saw a sphere collection that beautiful. Like the others, I was impressed when I saw the picture in the junkyard and now I think I want a sphere myself too. As D48thRonin said it, holding a piece that comes from space must be quite something.
    1 Week Ago  Oct 15, 2017, 3:32 AM - Re: Presenting my Meteroite Collection #19

Wow.....wonderful collection!!! Thanks for sharing.
  20. RPF Premium Member
    1 Week Ago  Oct 15, 2017, 9:28 AM - Re: Presenting my Meteroite Collection #20

If your want a sphere the most readily available materials are Gibeon Iron and NWA 869

They are going to cost you thought because a lot of material is sacrificed to make them
  21. RPF Premium Member
    1 Week Ago  Oct 15, 2017, 7:52 PM - Re: Presenting my Meteroite Collection #21

Today I re-etched my irons, normally I etch the Dronino (center iron) but it looked good polished so I left it

I also buil anew display board in anticipation of 3 new spheres I should be adding in the near future

22. RPF Premium Member
    1 Day Ago  Oct 22, 2017, 11:20 AM - Re: Presenting my Meteroite Collection #22

Fusion took advantage of an opportunity to buy a set of slices cut from a single end cut of the Bondoc Mesosiderite I have listed in the junkyard

He bought the slices in column B because he thought it was neat that they were cut from a single section

I set up this image for him to show the shape of the end cut

Here they are ready to be packed up for shipping

23. Member Since
    Oct 2017
    3 Hours Ago  Oct 23, 2017, 10:27 AM - Re: Presenting my Meteroite Collection #23

@Boba Debt This is the core machine I used to make my first iron sphere from a 57 pound Campo Whole Specimen

Thanks for sharing! That rig on the drill press is impressive.