Presenting my Meteroite Collection

Today I re-etched my irons, normally I etch the Dronino (center iron) but it looked good polished so I left it

I also built a new display board in anticipation of 3 new spheres I should be adding in the near future

Last edited:
Fusion took advantage of an opportunity to buy a set of slices cut from a single end cut of the Bondoc Mesosiderite I have listed in the junkyard

He bought the slices in column B because he thought it was neat that they were cut from a single section

I set up this image for him to show the shape of the end cut

Here they are ready to be packed up for shipping

Boba Debt This is the core machine I used to make my first iron sphere from a 57 pound Campo Whole Specimen

Thanks for sharing! That rig on the drill press is impressive.

Last edited by a moderator:
A three slice display I made when I used to make 50mm square slices to get a better understanding of what they would look like as a 50mm sphere and to figure out how to work them

Last edited:
I started to process a 2500 gram Sikhote Alin end cut

Here is a video of one of many cuts I made which yeilded a 443 gram end cut

This is what the 2 pieces looks like

SA%20cut%20oo1%20A_zpsgkn5hjor.jpg

Here is the 443 gram end cut. It's 3.5: wide by 2.25" tall

SA%20443%20gram%20End%20Cut%20006_zpsad1ouj3n.jpg

SA%20443%20gram%20End%20Cut%20005_zpsqo6proah.jpg

Thanks, I think it's cool too :)

The second cut produced a 163 gram 2-part end cut that is really cool

SA%20cut%20002%20A_zpsh4pvaqlk.jpg

SA%20163%20gram%20End%20Cut%20001_zpsfrqhral2.jpg

SA%20163%20gram%20End%20Cut%20002_zpszxoawja2.jpg

One corner separated along a crystal boundary but it stays together when displayed, here is quick video of it

The third cut produced a 359 gram end cut and a smaller 15 gram end cut / fragment that separated during the cutting process.

SA%20cut%20003%20A_zpstfhzdpvg.jpg

I hate to brag about my cutting process but this is a fresh cut and you can see the fragments reflection in the face of each part.

A .030" / 1mm blade kerf and virtually no sanding of the faces is why I have such low cut loss

Attachments

• SA%20cut%20002%20A_zpsh4pvaqlk.jpg
    SA%20cut%20002%20A_zpsh4pvaqlk.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 176
  • SA%20163%20gram%20End%20Cut%20001_zpsfrqhral2.jpg
    SA%20163%20gram%20End%20Cut%20001_zpsfrqhral2.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 153
  • SA%20cut%20003%20A_zpstfhzdpvg.jpg
    SA%20cut%20003%20A_zpstfhzdpvg.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 152
  • SA%20163%20gram%20End%20Cut%20002_zpszxoawja2.jpg
    SA%20163%20gram%20End%20Cut%20002_zpszxoawja2.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 173
Fourth and final cut

So the initial process to turn the 2504 gram end cut that a Met list member named Derek sent to me for processing is complete

With my current work schedule it took about 5 days making one cut per day.

Here are some pics of the processed material

We ended up with the following

A – 262 gram end cut with 5 cut faces

B – 358 gram end cut with 3 cut faces

C – 163 gram end cut with 3 cut faces

D – 443 gram true end cut, single cut face, this is the nicest end cut of the lot

E – 14 gram fragment consisting of what looks like 2 crystals

My sphere rough weighs 1126 grams and Dmitry is going to earn his money if he gets a 50mm sphere for this rough because it is tight.

We had an initial cut loss of 138 grams or right around 5% so that’s good

Last edited:
All 3 Sikhote Alin end cuts with their initial etch, the one in the center is 3.5" wide to give you an idea of the size of these

I have used both nitol and ferric chloride in the past to etch SA, but my FC won’t be here till Monday.

Once I have that I will heat these up and do a quick wash with the FC and follow that with a light nitol etch to make it sparkle.

SA%20End%20Cuts%20004_zpszlys8ssc.jpg

I received my 2.4 kilo NWA 8529 H-6 Chondrite yesterday and processed it into my sphere rough today.

The good, it was quite fragmented but I was able to find the most solid area to cut my rough from.

The bad, the cube does have some cracks and I hope Dmitry can stabilize it before he makes it into a sphere PLUS it’s BROWN and I’m kind of sick of brown spheres.

The 2.4 Kilo Whole Specimen

Here it is on the saw, which was just big enough to process this whole specimen

My 57mm (oversized) Sphere Rough

The remaining cuts, the top left end cut is the only piece that stayed together which is ironic because I thought it would fall to pieces due to all of the fragments

Very cool hobby! I assume you buy from established community members but you did mention Ebay as well. How does a buyer know it is an ACTUAL space rock before handling it in person?

You look at their feed back rating and their other auctions

If someone posts a single "Ultra Rare" meteorite for tens of thousands of dollars then you pretty much know they are full of it

You also have the IMCA (International Meteorite Collectors Assc) and it helps if they are a member.

I'm 9142

I decided to repair one of the 2 pentagon shaped slices that separated during the cutting process

I wasn’t to hard to repair and it looks fantastic with a polish.

I'm sending some material to Russia to get made into spheres so I replaced the Bondoc Sphere Rough with the Iron Sikhote Alin that I quickly etched

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back