1:1 scale imperial probe droid

Looking really tidy Geek1138 amazing. What's the finishing up on the printed pieces like? It looks like from the pics that there's minimal clean up

Really get a feel for the size of him/her now GEEK1138, awesome work.
I read somewhere that the 1:1 prop was actually 3/4 sized as it wouldn't matter perspective wise so is yours truly full scale or the same size as the prop?

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking really tidy Geek1138 amazing. What's the finishing up on the printed pieces like? It looks like from the pics that there's minimal clean up

Minimal clean up...I wish :cry No it's already eaten 2 big tins of Bondo just for the body parts. Still all the eyes and legs to finish

Really get a feel for the size of him/her now @GEEK1138, awesome work.
I read somewhere that the 1:1 prop was actually 3/4 sized as it wouldn't matter perspective wise so is yours truly full scale or the same size as the prop?

Er...not sure. Mine (him) is scaled 6 times the 1/6th scale Sideshow model. The top disc is just over a metre in diameter and he will stand about 7' in height, plus antenna. Feels plenty big enough. Reminds me of working on car body parts, with all the compound curves and flat surfaces. And this bad boy is gonna be heavy...

Really get a feel for the size of him/her now @GEEK1138, awesome work.

That's a nice and vague :) Well, they're on the deck near imperials when all decked out to great the Emperor in ROTJ. I posted a couple pix http://www.rebeldroids.net/forum/showthread.php?tid=414

Doesn't look much taller than a human in those photos.

- - - Updated - - -

Er...not sure. Mine (him) is scaled 6 times the 1/6th scale Sideshow model. The top disc is just over a metre in diameter and he will stand about 7' in height, plus antenna. Feels plenty big enough. Reminds me of working on car body parts, with all the compound curves and flat surfaces. And this bad boy is gonna be heavy...
To me 7' fits with the screenshot from the hanger.

There's this weird pic from the hanger too...although this looks different than the ESB prop in some minor details. And the red lenses?

yeb9i.jpg

And this well known one. So he's 6' plus but not taller than 7'

n701032562_2017705_601891.jpg

Then I guess the question is just how tall is 6x the sideshow model? Would that be 7 feet?

OK so 6 x the sideshow model is 6'3.5" (192cm) from tip of longest leg to top of dome on head plate...which could fit if the imperial dudes in the pic are around 5'8". And the droid is probably on some kind of base/plinth. So maybe he's not such a big boy after all. However, the more research I do, the more inaccurate the sideshow model becomes...certainly almost all of the underside features are just made up generic details. Very difficult getting close to the original without measurements or detailed reference pix

Build is really cool. I'm always curious how "good" things like the Sideshow models are. I mean, they're supposed to be good, but sometimes they have errors too, and without great references it can be hard to tell.

Thats great, 6'3" and it really needs to hover another 1' in the air really so 7'3" so pretty much the height we were saying just eyeballing the bts pics.

Even if the original design was supposed to be bigger, any bigger than you are making would just be weird really I think.

I wouldn't worry to much about underneath, the beauty is if you find better ref of what you can't see on the prop then you can just reprint that part :)

Yeah I have that pic too but I never noticed the chain drive before...looks like the armature is welded up thru the 3 longest legs and whole thing rotates from the sprocket under the base plate...thereby avoiding the 6th leg. So there's no way the legs could have moved on screen.
I reckon mine will be somewhere between 3/4 and full size ultimately but I really can't imagine having it any bigger!

It's a bit OT but isn't it funny how in these kinds of pics (group of people working) there's only every ONE GUY digging? This happens a lot across many different industries.

OK slowly making progress. Probably about half way thru finishing the head...got nearly all the 'eyes' on and some of the armoured skins.

20171115_153618.jpg 20171115_153640.jpg

Also had to re-think my prop leg. The original pole I used was ok but allowed for to much wobble when the whole droid is spun. So I constructed a scaffold cross joint with pipe clamps to handle the weight and make him really stable when in motion

20171115_154038.jpg

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back