1:1 scale imperial probe droid

Cheers guys. Quick update...finished printing the big parts.

20171023_183418.jpg 20171023_183704.jpg

Still all the legs and greeblies to model.

Anyone know the history of this droid. I know the studio scale model was made up of Plastruct pieces, found objects and loadsa kitbash parts. But what about the full size droid. Did they just scratch build and scale up all the details, and how accurate was it compared to the model. Obviously they didn't have 3D printing back then so what was the process?

Cheers guys. Quick update...finished printing the big parts.

View attachment 768663 View attachment 768664

Still all the legs and greeblies to model.

Anyone know the history of this droid. I know the studio scale model was made up of Plastruct pieces, found objects and loadsa kitbash parts. But what about the full size droid. Did they just scratch build and scale up all the details, and how accurate was it compared to the model. Obviously they didn't have 3D printing back then so what was the process?

Looking good, but is it just me or does the head look too small?

When the eyes are there it should be ok.

ghhj57.jpg

Both these are from the Lorne Peterson book, If you don't have it, you should look into...

IMG_4954.jpg

Not the info you wanted GEEK1138 but good all the same :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow thanks for the info Spacebob...i'll be sure to check out that book. And as you say, once all the eyes and stuff go on it should be about right

That's looking awesome to my eyes :) just fantastic.

How tall will it be all in all?

what program do you use to model in, I've bought a 3d printer but wasn't that impressed by sketch up.
Although I was able to make my first model, I haven't printed it yet.

Got the first wee leg printed with all it's greeblies. Leg 'A' I reckon. The joints are to be articulated so that the discs rotate around the central pivot point and are screwed thru the hub. The claw will also 'grab'. I was thinking of adding servo's to make the legs move but I don't think the screen droid's legs move and also, it would be a real mission getting cabling and servo's into all the joint dampers. I'm just testing out greenhouse gas struts that will expand and contract with changes in temperature

20171025_185740.jpg 20171025_185755.jpg

UPDATE...first part finished

20171103_202935.jpg 20171103_202913.jpg

Didn't print this part in the end, just the small detail parts...scratch built it from a washing machine door, which latches into the other half on the the top of the head. Gonna use electric car aerials for the antenna

OK another update then...Top disc finished , apart from the gun which I plan to have on a pan and tilt mechanism so it will move to fire with sound FX and red LED's

20171107_110123.jpg 20171107_110217.jpg

Also been playing around with the 'sixth leg' to hold the droid up

20171107_104347.jpg (dunno why it's posting the pix sideways?)

Attachments

• 20171107_104325.jpg
    20171107_104325.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 439
This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back