Best way to temporarily attach trim to clothing?

DRG

As part of my current build, I need to add a colored trim down the legs of my pants. However, I don't want to permanently attach the trim as I want to continue to wear these as regular pants afterwards. What is the best way to temporarily attach the trim (a fabric stripe which will be ribbon)?

Pinning it down is out, as I want the ribbon to lie flush with the fabric at all times.

I considered running a length of duct tape down and hot gluing the ribbon onto that, but will this leave a reside?

I also looked into the 2-sided fashion tape or wardrobe tape that is used to stick fabric to skin to prevent wardrobe malfunctions, but is this strong enough to hold something to clothing for periods of time?

I also saw adjustable hem tape... again, concerned about both residue and whether it will actually stay put.

So anyone with any experience in this?

I second sewing, I'd just use relatively loose stitches and, if possible, widely spaced stitches to that it's easier to remove.

The problem with sewing is 1) it's along a major seam already (the outside legs on a pair of pants) and 2) I just can't sew a straight line to save my life. My last attempt at sewing led to angrily throwing things, a lot of swearing, and my blood pressure being raised to unhealthy levels. I literally couldn't get two inches sewn without my threads coming loose and the machine jamming. I know I was doing *something* wrong, but what I have no idea. :)

not material minded but would iron on hem tape work ?

Not familiar with this, does it leave a residue?

I've had some success with toupee tape. (Fashion tape is the same thing, but in a pink box and a higher price tag.) It depends on how much stress you are going to put on the pants.

Iron on hem tape will leave residue as it is designed to be permanent.

The most secure would be a combination of toupee tape and hand sew the edges of the ribbon onto the pants. Trying to use a machine to sew the ribbon down on a pair of pants that are completely sewn is an exercise in frustration. You would need to rip the inseam to be able to machine sew ribbon on.

i think what ever you try will leave a residue of some kind, to be honest personally i would get another pair of pants and fix it permanently rather than run the risk of a temporary fix coming loose or falling of

I've had some success with toupee tape. (Fashion tape is the same thing, but in a pink box and a higher price tag.) It depends on how much stress you are going to put on the pants.

Hmm, I may have to look into that... where to they sell this? Is it something they would have at a Walmart or similar store?

- - - Updated - - -

i think what ever you try will leave a residue of some kind, to be honest personally i would get another pair of pants and fix it permanently rather than run the risk of a temporary fix coming loose or falling of

Yeah, the main issue is that it's a rare color and I had to buy more expensive pants than I normally would have bought for a costume, but with the rationale that I could use them as regular pants afterward. In the end I'd rather leave off the trim if I have to over messing up the pants, but I'm hopeful that something will pan out. I'm going to test some things out on old pair of jeans this weekend I think to see what happens.

that's cool, then I would hand sew it then pick the stiches off, least with hand sewing you can space out the stiches

I second the hand sewing idea. It doesn't take much to keep the material on.

I sewed a pair of ribbons down some pant legs (like a cop might have) and spaced each stitch a few inches apart. I've worn the pants a good many times over the years and the ribbon has yet to fail, however it's on there loose enough that I could rip them off easily if I wanted to, Mission Impossible style.

Hmm, I may have to look into that... where to they sell this? Is it something they would have at a Walmart or similar store?

- - - Updated - - -

You used to be able to get toupee tape from Sally Beauty Supply - but they have stopped carrying it. You can find toupee tape in a wig shop; they may call it wig tape there. You can also get it from Amazon. My preferred brand is Vapon Topstick. You are going to want the straight strips or the roll, not the curved ones.

Lynn

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back