Blade Runner 2049 Dr. Ana Stelline's Hologram Controller

mrcarkeys42

I saw 2049 opening night and loved it! Of all the amazing props in the film, this one stood out to me the most. Unfortunately I cant seem to find any pictures of it anywhere, does anybody have any info on it?

Me too! In my head I've been calling it a "memory organ" since she kind of plays it like a concertina. Can't wait for more reference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Other than the weapons, that was the prop that made me think "the RPF will be all over that one!". Looking forward to finding out more about it.

If I noticed correctly, it was branded ‘Vivitar’, which is a lens manufacturer. The black/white branded rings were used on Zeiss Jena lenses produced in the sixties. Such a beautifully designed object/interface!

Just saw it this afternoon, so now I know what you're referring to. It reminded me of a few things all at the same time:
$_86.JPG81f73dcfc5f7501981718e97eee66b41.jpgindex.jpg

I am wondering if it is actually made from camera lens parts or just inspired by them. It could be quite expensive to make from the real parts considering how expensive even broken/for parts lenses can be

Really hoping some more info/pics surface soon. i cant find anything either, i guess it wasn't shown off with other props at any conventions

Last edited by a moderator:
I was thinking the same thing. It might be my favorite prop from the movie. I've looked all over for images w/o any luck.

It looked like a bunch of apeture and focus dial collars and breach mount collars cobbled together with some specially milled aluminum parts at the ends and about five unique buttons. Three to four on the right side and two to three on the left. And the controller also collapses and pops back out like a telescope.
BR2049 Ref 2.jpgBR2049 Ref 3.jpgBR2049 Ref.jpg

The holo manipulator was a CGI construct.

Can you clarify how you know this? I have watched the film twice and if it’s cg then the animation/hand sync is very good.
Also, making a 3d printed and painted piece wouldn’t be prohibitively expensive if the designs were done in software rather than with pencil/paper.

The holo manipulator was a CGI construct.

Highly doubtful, especially in a movie that was so big on using physical props and environments. There's no reason for this unit to be CGI when they could easily construct it in real life. It looked to be a combo of camera gear and smaller space suit seals ala the Alien Covenant space suit seals that Adam Savage highlighted on Tested (and those were 3d printed.)

Last edited:
Can you clarify how you know this? I have watched the film twice and if it’s cg then the animation/hand sync is very good.
Also, making a 3d printed and painted piece wouldn’t be prohibitively expensive if the designs were done in software rather than with pencil/paper.

I have it on good authority, put it that way. It was an issue of time. Practical didn't have time to get to it so it was added later. I'm unsure if Carla Juri had to work with something physical for hand/movement reference purposes though.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back