Another hardware store lightsaber build! Finished!

propmainiac

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hi all
A couple of weeks ago I posted pics of my first lightsaber build. Well was feeling a little nostalgic and decided to do a hardware store build like I used to do long before I discovered the RPF. I would buy a pommel and emitter or just use my own.
So I started with a old pommel that I had laying around. It's threaded for a 3/8 rod. Then made an emitter out of aluminum tubing and a fender washer. The main body is 1 and 1/4 chrome sink tube. Here's a mock up so far just seeing how things fit and look. Enjoy! IMG_20171004_214101.jpgIMG_20171004_214057.jpg

Last edited:
Re: Another hardware store lightsaber build!

Nice work! I especially love bearings as windvanes.

Thanks! Have more to do and have to figure out how to tighten the whole thing up. It's built around a threaded rod but im limited on where I can hide the nuts. I hate just gluing things together and would rather be able to take it apart in the future. Also once it's together ill clean it up and give the aluminum a brushed finish. I haven't decided if im going to make a clamp like a graflex or if ill buy a clamp cover from Roy for it. I used to just make up a peice from square keystock and aluminum flashing to simulate the clamp area. Well will see....

Hi all I have some more progress on my hardware store lightsaber build ItsIMG_20171006_191006.jpgIMG_20171006_191003.jpgIMG_20171006_191039.jpgIMG_20171006_190957.jpg been a little while since I built one of these so I'm a little rusty at it I've been taking various sections of tubing that I've had in my garage and cutting them up into the appropriate size pieces I have a couple more pictures here at my work and it's getting more refined and more saber looking now I've got the mid-band fitted on it I will ask you put a couple screws into this so it doesn't slide. The body of the Sabers actually made from an inch and a quarter size Chrome sink tube. The pommel is something I've had around for quite a long time and I used to buy these off of eBay a long time ago but I haven't seen any of these pop-up and quite a while. Not sure who made these back in the day possibly a company called Galaxy trading I'm not sure. The emitter is actually made from different size aluminum tubing I was also able to get a bunch of different size tubing that if she fits together in side of each other to make it a little more sturdy at the bottom at the neck. I used a roller bearing to simulate a wind vane and a couple small pieces of aluminum tubing for the neck of the saber. Also underneath one of the small pieces of tubing under the wind vane there is a threaded Rod that runs through the whole length of the saber you can see it in the picture I also ground down a nut so that it just fits inside the tubing under the wind vane neck this way I can thread everything right on down and I don't have to worry about it coming loose and at the top of the emitter I used a I believe I call him shaft collars cuz it makes it look more or Return of the Jedi like. I plan to get about a dozen or so of the poly washers from my local plumbing store if you don't know what these look like they're around like a cone shaped there cut a tapered in the fit on the PVC plumbing they come in an inch and a half an inch and a quarter sizes I'm going to use the inch and a quarter size and this will make up my grip section. That's all for now enjoy the pictures and if anyone has any questions about what I used or how I did it just let me know thanks

Hi all. I've gotten more done tonight. Cut my sidebars and made a cone knob! Not sure where it's going yet. Also in the pics you can see the nut I ground down to fit under the aluminum tube. Hoping to get more done tomorrow.IMG_20171006_233202.jpgIMG_20171007_001025.jpgIMG_20171006_230834.jpgIMG_20171007_001003.jpgIMG_20171006_234101.jpgIMG_20171006_233204.jpg

Ok needed to fill out the bottom of the saber and this is what I came up withIMG_20171007_160611.jpgIMG_20171007_160605.jpg looking for opinions is it too obi wan? Starting to look that way to me. Thanks

Decided I didn't like the look of the black peices I had at the bottom of the saber so I took them off. I think ill move the cone knob to that spot then add a smaller knob in it's place. Any ideas?

Ok needed to fill out the bottom of the saber and this is what I came up withView attachment 764265View attachment 764266 looking for opinions is it too obi wan? Starting to look that way to me. Thanks
nice build so far so good, it is looking very Obi-wan, but it all depends on how you want it to look, emitter and grenade is very distinctive to the Obi-wan and Luke sabers, you could change the pommel and grips to have a slightly different look if your trying to steer away from the traditional look, but I think obi-wan will always be there, but still a great build.

Thank you! I do like it. Obis saber has bee my favorite next to Luke's Empire Saber. But since I had the pommel that's where this build went. I got rid of the black find at the bottom and placed a knurled knob there also built my clamp section up today . May make a lever to go with it might not. Here's pics.IMG_20171008_160815.jpgIMG_20171008_160750.jpgIMG_20171008_160719.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

It's held on with tape at the moment.

Hi all
Added my control box in an effort to make it look more like a clamp. Like how it's turning out.the card is from an old PC board. Also gave the aluminum parts more of a brushed finish. What do you think?IMG_20171008_224357.jpg

Im actually loving this. Nice card!

My thoughts - lightsaber design is tricky..in order to not make it look bottom or top heavy. The obi wan saber increases in size as you go down, but doesn't get bigger than the clamp area. I think your booster area could use another layer. the T track might have been a bit much, but it may look cool almost matching the clamp width.

Thanks! The card came from an ibm circuit board. Have another slightly different. Yeah wasn't trying to emulate obi wan but more of a obi custom? Didn't like the booster look. Not sour what to do with that area now...needs something.

Another hardware store lightsaber build!

Very nice! To answer your original question, I actually think the grips look great as they are (very different to other designs, and helps distinguish this lightsaber from Obi-Wan's.) Perhaps if you did some weathering with black/brown paints in the grooves between the rings?

Hi all
Still perfecting my design here... I decide the lower end of the saber needed more buildup. It looked too skinny just before the pommel. So I added some steel key material to this area. Wasn't crazy about it but I rounded off the end of the steel near the clamp and I thought wow what a difference! Liking the idea very much! Have 4 peices glued on and two more to go. What do you think?IMG_20171011_165746.jpgIMG_20171011_165725.jpgIMG_20171011_165808.jpgIMG_20171011_165701.jpg

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back