Blade Runner 2049 (Post-release)

You were not alone, when it was released it bombed and BOMBED big.

Hell it was out of the theatres in 2 weeks, but look what it was up against that summer,

Star Trek TWOK

ET

The Thing

Conan The Barbarian

Tron

Look when ET hit it was over that Movie steamrolled EVERY THING at the Box office for that summer

The Thing and Blade Runner came out the same weekend and quite frankly Blade Runner never had a chance.

Do we see some thought provoking Movie or a re-made classic that EVERBODY is raving about the incredible special effects

Right or wrong Blade Runner was relegated to the vhs rental dust bin where untill upon numerous viewings would people discover its Uniqueness and gamechanging Vision

It's not completely a generational problem.

When I first watched Blade Runner at the Bridge Theater in San Francisco I was blown away but most people I knew (and a lot of critics) thought the film was boring even back then. I thought everybody around me was completely nuts that they couldn't also see that Blade Runner was destined to be a classic.

I really hope we get a home release for the holiday season. I know that would be insanely soon, but they could potentially grab the market of people who don't care about going out to movies but still want to see this, as well as all the people who have already seen it 2+ times and are now itching to see it again from home. I'm sure it will be out early 2018 but I can dream

Yeah that's something else.

I've had the soundtrack cd on in my car constantly since the film came out.
It makes my journey to work down leafy Autumn lanes rather epic :)

My daughter used to have a real problem with on screen violence or tension. I've tended to keep some movies from her because those things really upset her. Fortunately at 8, she seems to be growing out of this phase. I think reading more advanced stories has helped, like Harry Potter and the Warriors. (While I haven't read the Warriors books, she makes it sound like GoT with feral cats) I'm looking forward to expanding her film repertoire with more PG/PG-13 stuff now. We just need to work around my 4 year old's schedule to make that happen.

Although, I'm still waiting for her to just be quiet and pay attention to the movie; instead of continually asking me what's happening on a 30 second lag time...

Oh yeah, the child's own perception is a huge factor as well. My best friend, who is 30, still can't handle physical violence or any psychological movie (like Interstellar).

As for enjoying Blade Runner/BR2049...The first time I saw the original film was in a class at college. I LOVED the movie, and out of about 40 students only 1 or 2 others liked it. Their ages ranged from 18 to probably around 30, myself being in the higher end of the age bracket. My friend in there (the above mentioned 30 year old's wife) HATED the movie because she didn't understand any of it. Many people agreed with her, and were totally confused with the unicorn ending. There were several interpretations of what that implied, and the two professors were dumb founded from the stupidity that was flowing from people's mouths. I had never seen someone literally drop their jaw before this. Finally, I raised my hand and said the unicorn indicated that Deckard could be a replicant. The two professors clapped and thanked me for explaining that, while the rest of the room murmured among themselves. So yeah....Maybe most people younger than 30 simply just don't "get it".

Last edited:
I can't remember how people interpreted it, but it wasn't that either. All I can remember is that their ideas were super out there and not story driven at all. I want to say the ideas ranged from "no one really exists" to "it was all a dream", and "maybe we're all *insert something cryptic here*."

I just edited my post as well, the may I worded that implication seemed too definite. Honestly, I like your idea just as much because I don't think he is a replicant.

See -- I still prefer the original implication that Gaff had left it as a message to Deckard about "chasing unicorns" by falling for Rachael. *shrug* I still feel making -- or even just implying -- Deckard's a Replicant undercuts the character and cheapens the story.

--Jonah

Me too,....to me it makes me think that Ridley doesn't understand the Gaff unicorn message,....

Why would Deckard dream of unicorns?....aren't replicants meant to have implanted memories......why would Deckard have memories of a mythological animal

When Deckard finds the Gaffs origami unicorn,...he remembers what Gaff said on the rooftop..."Too bad she wont live, but then again who does".....Deckard nods his head as he understands that Gaff had been there & spared her,...he knew she was there & that Deckard had fallen for her (matchstick man with hard-on),...& she was a unicorn amongst horses......BUT.... on the other hand in Ridleys new version..... Deckard realises that Gaff knows Deckard's Unicorn memories....why would he nod his head......why wouldn't he suddenly freak out as he realuses that he is a replicant all this time & everything he believed in was fake

A unicorn could be interpreted as being virginal also......

The original screen writers purposefully had questions in the script by Rachel to Deckard to make you think that there was a possibility that Deckard was a replicant,.....but were disappointed that Ridley by-passed that level of ambiguity by adding in the stupid unicorn dream sequence

Ford preferred the human falling for the synthetic human, because it brings more meaning to the film.....more human than human.....

In 2049 K falls in love with a holographic human

J

It's only supposed to be hinted at, barely, just enough to question ourselves as well as to what we are.
What we do defines us as well. He was nearly a machine with his cold blooded killing, Batty becoming truly human
when he saves Deckard. Batty is really the hero of the film. He saves Deckard in more ways than just his life.
Elegance. Deckard as replicant destroys this and requires awkward complex conspiracy.
Scott's hamhanded handling of this later was pure ego on his part.

This is what happened in my mind .

The movie starts shooting -Deckard is a human.

Ridly is not allowed to look through the camera while filming because of Union rules

In an interview Ridly says he likes working with European crews better because he can play with the cameras himself.- his crew gets pissed . it takes on a kind of hostile work environment from then on .

Ridly starts phoning it in an thinking about his next project Legend uses blade runner money to developed some unicorn footage .
Why ? Oh that's for a, uh,
a dream sequence yeah that's it .

Years roll by Scott can't leave Blade runner alone because he knows he did not give it the attention it needed at the time.
multiple years and cuts later he has retroactively made Deckard a replicant and inserted the Unicorn footage as an impossible memory or whatever .

In BR2049 the only three things that made me think he was supposed to be a Replicant Are

1 it seems blade runners are replicants ?
2 he just sat there cuffed in the car as it went down in the water . it was just weird, probably just me .
3 no one says Rachel had a half breed or hybrid human baby ,ever . implying by not implying it is 100% Replicant .

But hey who knows . the mystery is the best part

Last edited:
In BR2049 the only three things that made me think he was supposed to be a Replicant Are

1 it seems blade runners are replicants ?
2 he just sat there cuffed in the car as it went down in the water . it was just weird, probably just me .
3 no one says Rachel had a half breed or hybrid human baby ,ever . implying by not implying it is 100% Replicant .

But hey who knows . the mystery is the best part

If Deckard was a replicant in the first film,....why does he get the **** beat out of him all through the movie....there is a deliberate "More human than human" perception of the Replicants....they can punch their heads through walls,....do gymnastics like professional sportspeople....stick their hands in freezing liquids.....Decard jumps from one building to another & fails,...almost plummeting to his doom,...while a dying replicant makes the same jump effortlessly...even Rachel.....who seems like a lovely girl,....shoots Leon perfectly right in the forehead with the first shot of Deckards pistol.....all enhanced synthetic humans

If you were to create a Blade Runner to hunt down any rogue replicants,...would you engineer a being with such a severe handicap of being weaker,....have less stamina,....a worse shot with a pistol,....& programme it with memories of unicorns......

He is human in the first film,....the contrast of him, hunting the superior enhanced replicants is what make the saving of his life by Batty relevant,....he was beaten at the end of the film

In 2049,....K is a replicant,....he is enhanced,...just like the replicants he is out there to retire....he can bring down Dave Batista.......

Deckard is cuffed in the car,...he struggles with the restraints but cant break free, he isn't strong enough.....he is destined to drown,....K comes to his aid & effortlessly breaks the metal cuffs with his hands

Deckard is a human in the second film

The reproduction of a human/replicant hybrid is more of a breakthrough than a replicant & replicant child......but a replicant & human child is still not 100% normal

J

If Deckard was awas a replicant
replicant in the first film,....why does he get the **** beat out of him all through the movie....there is a deliberate "More human than human" perception of the Replicants....they can punch their heads through walls,....do gymnastics like professional sportspeople....stick their hands in freezing liquids.....Decard jumps from one building to another & fails,...almost plummeting to his doom,...while a dying replicant makes the same jump effortlessly...even Rachel.....who seems like a lovely girl,....shoots Leon perfectly right in the forehead with the first shot of Deckards pistol.....all enhanced synthetic humans

If you were to create a Blade Runner to hunt down any rogue replicants,...would you engineer a being with such a severe handicap of being weaker,....have less stamina,....a worse shot with a pistol,....& programme it with memories of unicorns......

He is human in the first film,....the contrast of him, hunting the superior enhanced replicants is what make the saving of his life by Batty relevant,....he was beaten at the end of the film

In 2049,....K is a replicant,....he is enhanced,...just like the replicants he is out there to retire....he can bring down Dave Batista.......

Deckard is cuffed in the car,...he struggles with the restraints but cant break free, he isn't strong enough.....he is destined to drown,....K comes to his aid & effortlessly breaks the metal cuffs with his hands

Deckard is a human in the second film

The reproduction of a human/replicant hybrid is more of a breakthrough than a replicant & replicant child......but a replicant & human child is still not 100% normal

J

Yup .

Like I said the only three things that indicated at all are above .

Ridley Scott DECIDED Deckard was a Replicant many years and cuts of the film later !

But devils advocate .
like 30 sec 2 mars kidd's him were you programmed to fall for Rachel ??????

So if, IF he was A Replicant in BD he was designed to impregnate Rachel not fight ?!?!
Is the logic I guess idk just trying to retro logic like Scott because like I said he WAS human to start !

Last edited:
I'm not convinced that Ridley Scott couldn't have decided that Deckard was a replicant during the shoot of the original.
There are scenes that were cut -- with alternate dialogue that asks the question whether Deckard is a replicant..

After Batty's death when Gaff shows up, he not only says "You did a man's job, sir", he continues:
"But are you sure you are a man? It's hard to tell who's who around here".

And later when Deckard is driving with Rachael in the country side. They speak and he is happy. Then she says:
"Do you know what else I think? You and I were made for each other".
And then he stares at her and gets a serious expression.

Yeah it was a tease from the start .
With him being human but with a flicker of doubt in my opinion.

But the driving scene was shot after the movie was released in Europe and they decided a " happy " ending would work better in the States .
And on a side note in the car drive ending everything but the interior of the car was unused footage from the shining .

So they ended up at the overlook that's where the baby comes from in BR2049 Damn ghost baby !?!

The true answer is Deckard a Replicant ?

It depends which cut you watch but I believe he is human in at least 3 versions maybe 4 .
So he's human in more versions of the film than he is Replicant !

human still wins lol .

Last edited:
I can't wait for the Bluray release of this movie. This may be the first film I could see myself watch regularly.

Most places say "around January", but Walmart.com has a listed date of March 30th.

I can't wait for the Bluray release of this movie. This may be the first film I could see myself watch regularly.

Most places say "around January", but Walmart.com has a listed date of March 30th.
I’d run with March - gotta hit Cable/Satellite first.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back