Blade Runner 2049 (Post-release)

I managed to catch this over the weekend, and wow.

While there were a couple things that I thought could have been a little different; overall, the movie was amazing.
The climactic fight, despite being such a simple set up, was so intense!

It was nice how the blackout storyline set up the visual and technological differences between the films.
Really, the only issues I have were that the street scenes seemed smaller & more set-looking, rather than the hustling streets on BR1. The soundtrack update for the city scenes didn't work as well for me. While I eventually got used to the "angry motorcycle" sound, it was a little too overwhelming. I just watched the "Nowhere to Run" short, and that felt more like BR Los Angeles to me, because it steeped you in the ambiance of the location.
Also, while I thought the scenes with Joi were good to build K's character, I think they could have been paired down a little bit.
Luv was awesome, though!

Supposed to rain here tommorow so I will help out the cause and see it again, it really is tanking at the box office now

I was gonna see it again this weekend and talked myself out of it. Just didn't want to give up three hours of my weekend. Lol! Guess I'll wait for Blu-ray.

At least they're covering their $160MM production cost, but still far from projections:

Total Lifetime Gross
US Domestic: $74,005,203 38.1%
+ Foreign: $120,100,000 61.9%
= Worldwide: $194,105,203

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=main&id=bladerunnersequel.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
The rule of thumb as they say, "they" know things I guess, is double production budget is usually the metric for a chance to spawn further films.

Oh it will make money just not what they were hoping for some are calling it a flop....

At least they're covering their $160MM production cost, but still far from projections:

Total Lifetime Gross
US Domestic: $74,005,203 38.1%
+ Foreign: $120,100,000 61.9%
= Worldwide: $194,105,203

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=main&id=bladerunnersequel.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
I finally got to see this last Tuesday after one of my students told me I look like Ryan Gosling, and I was blown away. I went in with no regard for what I expected...For me, Blade Runner 2049 is absolute cinematic perfection. An excellent balance of character development, cinematography, and music with an engaging plot...everything a movie should be.

One interesting thing was that there were only 7 people in the showing, with 2 of them talking the entire time, and 1 kid who moved around an unnatural amount. It would have been even better without those idiots in the theater.

Saw it again at a second run theater. Did not suffer from a second viewing. On a side note: a ticket, a small popcorn, and small soda cost less than a just single opening night ticket at a first run theater. Crazy, right?

Saw it again at a matinee showing this afternoon. It was the final screening at my favourite (read very old, single large screen 300 seat) cinema in the front row with only 4(!) other people. Fantastic.

I was worried about seeing this. I thought both my experience and the movie were spectacular and brilliant. My only criticism is I can see how feminists think it is sexist. I don't think it is, but I can ...you get it. I don't think feminism is the problem at the box office.
As I was watching this, utterly spellbound for 3 hours, I thought; people are going to hate this movie. Why? It doesn't appeal to the ADHD mindset most companies market to. No cars parachuting out of planes or 28 mile airplane/car chases.

I am excited to read all 11 pages of comments. I just wanted to add my opinion ASAP. See it in the theaters. The sound, like the first movie, is a huge part of the experience. As mentioned. I had no idea what to expect which made me enjoy the movie so much more but contributed to the box office slump.

I loved this movie. Best sequel ever.

Edit possible spoiler.
After watching this trailer for the movie, I would not have enjoyed it as much. The trailer in hindsight seems to give away the whole movie.

This trailer is a spoiler!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZOaI_Fn5o4

Last edited:
Yeah, that trailer is pretty much every key scene in the movie. Shows WAY too much.

Love the Barrett M82 .50 cal sound mix into the blasters. I remember feeling the thud of each shot in my chest when watching on IMAX in the theater. They had the sound cranked! Nice bass too it.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back