Blade Runner 2049 (Post-release)

I think most of your points are legitimate Riv, common movie plot- hole shortcuts leftover from already trimmed scenes, that sort of thing.
But they are the worst parts of a great movie, and that’s ok, still a movie after all (there’s more by the way but I’m not bringing them up).

But I need to check in with this..

K was given her memories as a decoy and put where he could easily be found.

His arc is the movie. Same as Batty’s was blade runner.

Do Androids Dream Of Electric Sheep.

That’s all we are talking about here.

Deckards fantastic side story is brought to the fore in 2049 by dragging him to where he didn’t want to be. Very emotional.

But K. that’s just magic He is so torn all of the time, Gosling is so good at that, Driver was amazing.

The scene where he finally thinks he is the kid. He explodes. So, so, good.
We are just sacks of protein that can do math, and here is a robot desperate for conformation of anything being real. He’s true A.I. who feels guilty for loving another complex A.I.

He finds a soul as real as mine and then loses it.

Last edited by a moderator:
webbrsheep.jpg

Got to be a sheeps :)

K thought he was the special kid because he actually found the horse from his memory. Why would the other replicants say they thought they were special just because they had the same memory?

Also why did Luv leave K when they took Deckard? It's like the classic villain blunder of leaving the good guy alive too long.

K thought he was the special kid because he actually found the horse from his memory. Why would the other replicants say they thought they were special just because they had the same memory?

Also why did Luv leave K when they took Deckard? It's like the classic villain blunder of leaving the good guy alive too long.

Because K's memory was real,...but from Decard's daughter,...all the memories, although from Decard's daughter, are made up

They left K because he was unimportant,....just a skin-job cop

J

Because K's memory was real,...but from Decard's daughter,...all the memories, although from Decard's daughter, are made up

They left K because he was unimportant,....just a skin-job cop

J

But the one-eyed leader lady said it's ok we all thought we were the one. Why would she say that? I first thought because a lot of them had the exact same 'real' memory of the horse. But then I started thinking, they don't know if it is a real memory or a made up one.

- - - Updated - - -

So did K's boss also believe he was the child? And thats why she let him go?

I thought she let him go because she had a thing for him. She sounded relieved when he said he killed the child. Why would she let him go if she thought he was the child?

Well he basically told her he thought it was himself, describing that they made im think he was a replicant and put him into the police force. I dont know how she couldnt have got what he was saying. And why would she think anyone would be coming for him if everything was done?

so when K is searching the genetics database for 6-10-21, he discovers two babies, one male and one female... twins.... it was reported that the female had died and thus he comes to beleive he is Rachel's surviving child.

later we learned that the girl baby survived... and this is interpreted as there wasnt ever a boy baby, as the records were falsified to hide her existence.

isnt it just as possible that there actually was a boy and a girl .... resulting in a difficult delivery requiring c section and mother dying in child birth....
K's memories of the orphanage could actually be his. ...meanwhile the girl was being raised by a "foster family"...then was placed into the bubble either for actual or fabricated heatlh concerns.

Now THAT's a very, very good review. Encapsulated beautifully a lot of what I've been feeling since I saw the film, in words much better than I could find. I'm SO pleased that the line about Deckard's dog is picked out as one of, if not the, most important lines in the film - exactly what I thought too.

Just as I did after the original in 1982 I came out of the more recent film drained and speechless, literally shaking with emotional reaction. I've been mulling it over ever since, finding new subtleties and nuances of plot and dialogue as I play back dialogue and scenes in my head. Just like the original, it's had a quite profound effect on me. And as happened with the original I think my understanding of, and emotional reaction to, the sequel will only grow to complete fruition with multiple viewings.

So few films are capable of evoking both awe at the spectacle and profound emotional engagement with the characters. The original Blade Runner is one. This, for me, was another. A masterpiece, and everything I'd hoped the sequel to my favourite film would be.

- - - Updated - - -

That is SO not a horse. It's SO a unicorn with its horn broken off. Isn't it?

But the one-eyed leader lady said it's ok we all thought we were the one. Why would she say that?

I took that as being meant more generally... that we all of us (human, replicant, AI) want to think we're 'special' that we're 'the one'. And part of the tragedy of life and existence for most of us is that we're not. We're not special. We're just ordinary. And by extension, therefore, that only we can create meaning in our own lives... which ultimately K does in sacrificing himself so that Deckard can meet his daughter.

In regards to the resistance all thinking they were "the one", if the child was a folk tale among Replicants then it would easily explain why so many had shared the desire. The child was supposedly hidden in a regular service job, something which they all do, and giving them a bit of hope for it

Great movie, a totally different beast from the original, but 2049 has legs to stand on its own. It would be pointless to tell what I liked, as a whole the movie just stroke a cord with me personally, not the same one as the original but it definitely did. So I'll just focus on what I didn't like. Joi. Can't really see the purpose for it being so central in K's story, but I guess a second vision will allow me to better undestand its weight, narratively speaking. The second thing is not something I dind't outright enjoy, just something that in time might be problematic. The whole Frysia (not sure if the spelling is correct) story put things in a much broader contest which I fear will shortly be exploited in all kinds of other media, such as comic books, novels, video games and even tv shows. I really don't want to see a procedural buddy cop tv show set in a LAPD station...

And finally: the final confrontation sequence. I though it was brilliant, the incessant crashing of the waves set up a sense of impending doom. Too bad I didn't enjoy it. And the fault is yours! All I could think about was what was going to happen to Deckard's blaster! I cared about it more than I cared about K and Deckard :) And I am even angrier because I didn't pay attention as to where it ended up. I believe K got disarmed after shooting and wounding Luv, and I guess the blaster fell into the water to not be seen again.

Can you confirm this? Did any other of you got distracted in that scene? I remember thinking: couldn't they just fight on the bloody ground instead of deep water? Just for the sake of the blaster!

Sorry if I autoquote myself, but has anyone more insight on the fate of Deckard's blaster?

But the one-eyed leader lady said it's ok we all thought we were the one. Why would she say that? I first thought because a lot of them had the exact same 'real' memory of the horse. But then I started thinking, they don't know if it is a real memory or a made up one.

The one eyed woman was there when the baby was delivered....she held Rachel when she died.....she said to K,....'You imagined it was you?..You did?....You did!...We all wished it were us, that's why we believe"

J

Thats the human condition right there, the over coming of fear for a greater good, the thought that you could be the one to fix all this....
K just had more reason to think so, he was lied too as well as everything else, misdirection to protect another life.

I think the soundtrack on the trailers was great, in the movie not so much, in the same way some have recut prequels to exclude Jar Jar, I wonder if somebody could in the future recut to make it a little quicker and add more soundtrack to make it a more watchable experience. The reason the girl never went back for the horse/unicorn was they put her in a bubble

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back