Blade Runner 2049 (Post-release)

Yeah, I agree. That was weird. I think it would have been more logical if the Nexus 8 never existed, that the Nexus 6 instead would have had succeeded in finding a way to disable the "kill switch".
But on the other hand, you can't expect a large corporation to act logically and reasonably if that could impair the bottom line ...

One explanation I can think of is that with Tyrell dead, a dissenting faction in Tyrell Corp's board would have got a majority - a faction that had been opposed to the 4-year life-span all along.
The switch must have been quick. Sapper Morton's incept date was in March 2019 - and he was a Nexus 8.

Thoughts...

I really, really wish David Bowie hadn't died, for many reasons -- but now because I know he was the original pick for the part that went to Jared Leto.

Let's hear it for the "bad guy's plan makes no sense" trope, with a dose of "bad guy acts at cross purposes to stated goal". If replicants can have children... Then those children will take years to mature, consume many resources in the process, etc. How is that an improvement over resources going to build replicants that will be ready to go to work right out of the gate? Then, on the heels of complaining about not being able to make enough to supply demand... he kills a newly-decanted replicant -- reducing his available stock. Brilliant.

I wanted more street scenes. I love the slice-of-life glimpses from both the original film and this one. In particular, Mariette reminds me a lot of Priss -- and yes I'm sure that was not an accident.

Love the sporadic Fallout vibes I got, especially in San Diego and Vegas. Makes me want, more than ever, someone to do a good live-action Fallout film or series.

So did anyone see this where the music/effects track didn't overwhelm everything? I also am in the category of those who too often couldn't tell if a sound was part of the score or happening in the scene.

--Jonah

Thoughts...

Let's hear it for the "bad guy's plan makes no sense" trope, with a dose of "bad guy acts at cross purposes to stated goal". If replicants can have children... Then those children will take years to mature, consume many resources in the process, etc. How is that an improvement over resources going to build replicants that will be ready to go to work right out of the gate? Then, on the heels of complaining about not being able to make enough to supply demand... he kills a newly-decanted replicant -- reducing his available stock. Brilliant.

--Jonah

Yeah, Come to think of it, the whole concept of manufacturing slaves doesn't make much sense. It would be cheaper to manufacture guns, hire an army, round up humans. Boom, instant cheap slave labor. I get that replicants are stronger ect. But that's nothing that more slaves couldn't handle.

When replicants are able to reproduce, we become extinct. We've seen shades of this in movies like A.I. and The Matrix.

It also means Wallis isnt in control of manufacturing anymore and cant make money off the children. Which is why it makes no sense that he wants them to be able to reproduce.

He complained about the limit to ability to expand... Maybe his plan was to send out ships with a few "breeder harems" of replicants (after all, a male can fertilize many females at a time, but we'd want more than one male for diversity) to build up populations on colony worlds in preparation for human arrival.

But here's the other question... Does he need fertile male replicants, too? Or just female? Is he looking for hybrids that are stronger than the parents? Or is the intimation that Deckard is, in fact, a replicant, too. But that leads down the rabbit-hole of "replicant of what?" -- they don't seem to be clones, or cyborgs... They also don't seem to have been grown in the original movie -- rather, assembled from biological components. Problem there is they'd have to be genetic matches (eyes with spleens with bones with skin, etc.), or the replicant's body would reject itself. There are so many things not laid out for how this whole thing works that weren't integral to the plot of the first film that need to be at least vaguely understood for the plot of this one.

If a replicant's genome is grafted and spliced in a lab to tweak for dense bones, tougher ligaments, override (at least partial) of the mental inhibitor that keeps us from overstraining our muscles (lift a car off your baby kind of stuff) on a daily basis to make them stronger, but that causes them to break down faster... If part of what made Rachael special was that Tyrell had dialed that inhibitor back up so she wasn't superstrong, but would not burn out as fast, cool. But what would her genome be? How would you make functioning gonads for that? Did it happen by accident? Or was it part of Tyrell's plan for what he wanted to do next that Roy unknowingly interrupted by killing him? But is that genome a human genome? Can it splice with human DNA, or was a similarly-functional replicant needed to be able to interbreed? What is the viability of any subsequent DNA? Does it provide an actual genetic lineage? Or is it analogous to replicative fading with cloning a clone of a clone?

'Cause if the plan was fertile female replicants to breed with human men to help colonize Off-World... I'm getting hints of Armitage, here. That was the whole basis for the story in that anime -- a new generation of indistinguishable-from-human biomechanical (living tissue over metal bones, biological and synthetic brains) "replicants" that could get pregnant to solve Mars' population problems so they could declare independence.

But my question is how many different types are there? Or are they all unique? Are Priss and Mariette variations on the same basic model? Would they be genetically sisters? Cousins? How much drift has there been, if any? I can't remember what the minimum is for a viable genetic base, but I do know the more the better. And if you had fifty Prisses as "breeding stock", that wouldn't be the right approach.

Also, how do we know Deckard and Rachael's daughter isn't a mule? A sterile hybrid?

All of this is why I do hope there's at least one sequel to explain even a little of why Wallis seems like such a contradictory moron, what his actual intention is, whether he just wants to play god, whether Ana is "fully functional", whether K actually died. I know it can be left here, that we can read whatever we want into the ambiguity of that ending. I know I can go on from here and believe Deckard is human, that Ana isn't a mule, that Wallis has delusions of grandeur and hasn't thought things through and is brought low by his own hubris a week later as news of this gets out where it needs to, since he doesn't have Luv around to be his Girl Friday (unless he duplicates her, too)... But I would prefer to see where they're planning to take the story, for all the reasons above, and because the replicant underground also seems to make no sense.

--Jonah

WOW....just hot back from seeing this. MIND BLOWN.

For whatever reason, the virtual girlfriend really stuck with me. Gonna be the next iPod when it becomes a reality!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Oh! Peter and the Wolf. Forgot to get into that. Peter, in the story, is the Soviet version of a Boy Scout, and his story is basically an allegory of Man conquering/taming Nature. Wallis using Peter's leitmotif for his corporate jingle -- plus his words and actions -- definitely indicate he sees himself in that role, and with that task.

--Jonah

Seeing it for the 3rd time tonight. Bringing the right potato chips...

FullSizeRender.jpg

WOW....just hot back from seeing this. MIND BLOWN.

For whatever reason, the virtual girlfriend really stuck with me. Gonna be the next iPod when it becomes a reality!

because she's the perfect woman, caring kind loyal and devoted to you, even if it isntreal it might feel so good, you might not care

Joi character can be equated as that of a pet. Always happy to see you whether you had a good/bad day at work, ready to please you and never argue with you. Yes, no difficulties/challenge "loving" that type of program or "being". Loving a human...now there's the complexity and work associated with that (that's why sex dolls are getting more and more popular with a growing segment of the population). We're good at anthropomorphism (animal, object, etc) and it's easy to see why K. has some kind of affection toward his holographic program. At the core of humans, we're essentially programmed as a social animal. We cannot live alone (look at Tom Hanks on his island) and experiments have been conducted, specially with the elderly, that it is possible to develop feelings toward machines that are close in looks as the real thing.

Was it ever revealed why Las Vegas was a radioactive wasteland? Maybe it doesn't matter and left ambiguous on purpose?

As far as Rachel getting pregnant. I really had a hard time grasping this idea, simply because I really wasn't sure that a Replicant was something purely biological. If it was 100% biological, then I can understand it. In the context of this movie, Tyrell's desire for perfection could have driven him to create a 100% synthetic human with a 100% engineered genome that was patented and created in a lab. Patenting this genome and DNA could have given them the rights to claim ownership of the entity, and therefore consider them a product and less of an entity. What gave the Tyrell corporation the right to create a fully biological self aware entity and make it property? The 4yr lifespan was a way to prevent them from developing empathatic abilities (and, therefore, immunity to the test) to see if they were actually human. Allowing them to live past a 4yr lifespan is what probably caused them to develop enough experiences that they started to exhibit emotional responses and start to actually question their own self worth and sense of individuality.

Creating a "self replicating" Replicant would be an amazing feat of engineering, and if Tyrell could do it, it would actually elevate him to a God like status. Certainly a lofty goal, something I could see him trying to achieve. It would enable him to create replicants without the need to engineer them and grow them in a factory. Imagine trying to build a facility off world, it would take a lot of resources, and that what Wallace was telling Deckard, he couldn't grow enough in his factories to meet demand. If the human race was colonizing planets, and there was a need for replicant slave labor, having self replicating replicant slaves would solve the problem, no need to build factories, the womb is now the factory.

This then raises another question, if they rely on the idea that their DNA and genome are a "product" and patented, and that makes them a product and therefore a slave, what happens to a child born of this union? Are they born with serial numbers, probably not, is their genome predetermined, probably not, it's left to a certain amount of chance unless its in vetro, and the genetic makeup is determined artificially. So, if a child is born that wasn't "patented" engineered in a lab, grown in a facility, has "parents" and has it's own unique genetic makeup , how does that child differ form a human? Can it be considered a "product" and subject to slavery? That could be a basis for a war. You have an entity or replicant that is in all intents and purposes indistinguishable from a human, able to reproduce and give birth to living offspring. What makes them different from a human? They were grown in a facility, but what about their children? Was this the deciding factor that differentiates them from actual humans and allows them to be considered property, that they were grown and not born? So if that is the deciding factor, that a Replicant is engineered and grown, and now they can reproduce, and their child is born, would the child be a product and subject to slavery, or would it be considered human and free. It seemed to me that Wallace was hinting to Deckard that "Off world" has different laws. Perhaps to gain access to an off world colony, you can enter into an endentured servitude to pay your way to a new world.

I think never really thought they Replicants weren't completely biological. They're pretty much like the Cylons of the rebooted Battlestar Galactica.
I kind of imagine Westworld going this direction as well depending on how many seasons it runs.

From the property aspect... I guess it mirrors Robocop and Ghost in the Shell... even thought the brain/mind in the body is an individual, their bodies are product.
Kind of a stupid concept in a way. That would be like saying the Veteran's Administration owns all of the veterans that they "repair" because their limbs, wheelchairs, etc. are "product". The original Robocop, consent was kind of sketchy. For the rbeoot consent was given by his wife... but I don't knwo that on either one did consent mean they would be slaves to the companies providing the experimental "prosthetics".

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll auto-quote myself as I think I posted that in the wrong thread a few days ago:

Hi, I've searched a bit and couldn't find a place where someone would mention it or a picture that proves it, but I'm pretty sure I caught a fun easter egg for us prop collectors that maybe you all saw, but maybe not:

I think that the serial number of the bones seen in the new zooming machine at the beginning of the movie contains 5223 in the middle. I thought that was really fun for us hardcore collectors and details crazy guys. kudos to the guy that had the idea to do that. :thumbsup
I only saw the movie once and cannot swear that I'm sure I remember exactly but it makes sense. ;)

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back