Blade Runner 2049 (Post-release)

Finished the Blu-ray extras in about an hour and a half... disappointingly short. A concept art gallery or something would have been nice. Not even a commentary.

Picked up the Walmart exclusive with the spinner kit.
Despite being of the building ilk, there is NO FREAKING WAY I'm going crosseyed trying to snip and bend all these tiny pieces!

Wish I'd saved the $5!

I was just happy the shorts were on there. The making doc is good though.

Is anyone really disappointed with the inner sleeve and disc art with most titles these days. It seems since the digital age that studios are lazy with artwork. Unless you wanna pay heaps for a stealbook they are just blank. I haven't seen a good disc print in as long as I remember.

Ben

Yesterday, I went to Target to make sure they didn't have an unrevealed exclusive...there was only one slot for the movie with only two copies sitting there. I thought that was a bit odd.

Next, I went to Walmart, where there was about 60 copies in electronics. Then there was also about 40 copies in a display at the front. I ended up getting the 4K version despite not owning a 4K tv. I don't know what I would have done with the little metal Spinner since I own the Neca one, and I'd prefer not to repurchase the movie once I do eventually upgrade. It was more of a just in case decision. :p

One interesting thing, I posted on FB about it being released and being my favorite movie. A few people messaged me and asked me what was good about it, or poster they didn't know "they made another one." So perhaps their marketing campaign didn't even bring much awareness.

I know last weekend when I was home I saw several commercial spots on Adult Swim for it. Based on those clips it seemed more like an fast paced action movie instead of what the film really is...

Scott said right from the start that Deckard was a replicant, he and Ford even had famous arguments about it on set.

In my best Tom Cruise impression from A few Good Men "So if Ridley Scott said from the start that Deckard was a replicant, why would he and Ford be arguing about it on set?" "We all know that when Scott gives orders. The orders are followed."

Mr Webber, did you order the Code Red? :devil

In my best Tom Cruise impression from A few Good Men "So if Ridley Scott said from the start that Deckard was a replicant, why would he and Ford be arguing about it on set?" "We all know that when Scott gives orders. The orders are followed."

Mr Webber, did you order the Code Red? :devil

You try giving Harrison Ford orders and see how far you get.:lol

He was the BIGGEST star in the world and SRS was still a minor player at the time is all I can think of.

Also, Scott would have been completely absorbed in the subject matter and Ford was bored throughout the whole thing.

Last edited:
Yes and George Lucas said that he always intended for Greedo to shoot first.:p

I said it was a retcon because I am under the impression that the whole "Deckard is a replicant" thing didn't come about until one of the later versions of the film. In my opinion, the basis for the movie is "Replicants go rogue and kill a Blade Runner, Deckard is brought out of retirement to track them down because he used to be really good at it." Why have this as the setup if it isn't true. If Tyrell wanted to trick Deckard into believing that he was human and introduce him to Rachel he could easily have done so without involving Gaff or Bryant. To me, they go too far in establishing that stuff for it not to pay off.

Compared to the Nexus 6 models we see, Deckard displays comparatively human frailty. Leon beats the snot out of him and would have killed him had Rachel not intervened. Pris beats hims up pretty good. Roy wipes the floor with him also. Roy easily made a jump that Deckard can't do.

When I originally saw the movie, I interpreted the unicorn to say "I know that you are helping Rachel instead of doing your job and killing her". The unicorn didn't have any significance until Scott added it later. And it was footage he reused from Legend, another movie he was working on.

You may see the same things and interpret it to mean that he is a replicant. I can't refute any thing in your post. Sure, all the statements that you made can be interpreted the way that you interpreted them. I guess I just interpreted them differently. As I stated in my earlier post, I'm not a big fan of this movie although I have grown to appreciate it more as I grow older. So, I'm probably no the best person to debate on the finer points. But I am in the Deckard is a human camp.

I am typing this while at work and I hope it is coherent. :wacko

Brilliant! You sold me on this concept. Well done.

I think the unicorn scene was proven not to be from Legend production?
But yeah, Deckard is not replicant, but the question is in the background, the elegance of BR is it allows the audience to discover that.
That's the payoff, to find those questions, and thus the nature and meaning of being if one chooses to follow that path as far as
they wish.

How do you come to that conclusion though?

Others make the points well enough what is observed in the film so I don't think I need to repeat those.
So I submit the source material and the people intimate with the films narrative.
He wasn't in the PKD novel. Deckard was becoming as good as a "machine" because
he was killing so much. It's a big point in the book made. A machine becoming a machine is a pointless narrative.
In fact he gets tested in the novel.
None of the screenplay writers ever supported it. Ford never did, admitted fouling up on his mark for the red eyes scene.
As one of the writers said I forget which right now, it's too complicated.
It would require a lot of conspiracy that just becomes silly.

Besides the massive beauty and elegance of Batty, a "machine" who saves Deckard with his very human act of
mercy. Poetry. Redemption. The moment is pure. The scene is indelible in this way for me.

I love how BR hero/villians are flip flopped. Deckard is really the bad guy, the human we are supposed to be pulling for, Batty the evil "machine" is
the good guy, you don't realize this until that moment above.
That again gets too complicated if you have them both replicants.

Batty would have known one of his own believe me.
Said to Deckard and Deckard alone......

"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe...."

The film and the book are so vastly different from each other they are almost completely different stories.
A machine hunting machines makes incredible sense.
He never gets tested in the movie, in fact Rachel makes a great point herself, "Did you ever take that test yourself Mr Deckard?"
Roy saving the life of the machine or "human" as they long to be recognised, trying to kill him as is as poignant and pure as it can get.
Actors and screen writers answer to the director. Even powerful ones such as Ford.
Theres no conspiracy. He was designed to be a Police Man and Bryant using him as such was nothing for him.
Batty did know what he was, "Arent you the Good Man?" Although speculated, we never saw Batty do any research or have any access to police records.

"You people" can be seen as any and all in the service of slavery, which Deckard was most certainly one.

And then we come to the unicorn...from dream to reality. How else can it be explained. Gaff knew. Bryant knew. Deckard didnt, but may have suspected. hence the acknowledgement in his expression.

The film upon release was not how Scott intended it, he was not given final cut and the chop job done by the Studio is fairly infamous.

Last edited:
Well that's one great thing about BR, different people can come away with different things.
Decades later the discussions continue.
But it should never be spelled out for you. You're supposed to discover things.
I think that is the sin of the sequel, it explains far too much.
Honestly I don't see the same impact of it on discussion forums that the first
still inspires.

Well that's one great thing about BR, different people can come away with different things.
Decades later the discussions continue.
But it should never be spelled out for you. You're supposed to discover things.
I think that is the sin of the sequel, it explains far too much.
Honestly I don't see the same impact of it on discussion forums that the first
still inspires.

I dont think it inspires much discussion as its pretty much a perfect film. People are generally drawn discuss things that they are unsure about.

Its more than clear Deckard is a replicant in it. It only has impact if a replicant can breed with another replicant.

Wallace tells him he is a replicant and Wallace is not one to play games, he is to his own detriment, overly blunt. The fact that he brings Rachel`s skull to his first meeting with Deckard expresses that perfectly for mine.

If Scott had the chance to release the film as he intended, there would have been none of this speculation about Deckard from the beginning. It only exists because the Studio had no idea what they had and either by choice or mishandling, muddied the waters.

I think that the analogy of using a Unicorn is that it represents the unreachable dream of being human (the walled garden... Stardust). The Reps know that it means they'll never be like us ! Now, they might try hard to be...they're machines non- the- less. Whatever they do/represent, society recognize them as less than human and, as such, will never be respected.

I think that the analogy of using a Unicorn is that it represents the unreachable dream of being human (the walled garden... Stardust). The Reps know that it means they'll never be like us ! Now, they might try hard to be...they're machines non- the- less. Whatever they do/represent, society recognize them as less than human and, as such, will never be respected.

So your agreeing with my long term theory that Gaff is a replicant as well?

I dont think it inspires much discussion as its pretty much a perfect film. People are generally drawn discuss things that they are unsure about.

Its more than clear Deckard is a replicant in it. It only has impact if a replicant can breed with another replicant.

Wallace tells him he is a replicant and Wallace is not one to play games, he is to his own detriment, overly blunt. The fact that he brings Rachel`s skull to his first meeting with Deckard expresses that perfectly for mine.

If Scott had the chance to release the film as he intended, there would have been none of this speculation about Deckard from the beginning. It only exists because the Studio had no idea what they had and either by choice or mishandling, muddied the waters.

Lucas didn't get the Star Wars he intended either.
Or must we accept that Greedo shot first? ;)

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back