Blade Runner 2049 (Post-release)

Even that dream sequence isn't proof of much other than people do dream of such things,
most especially in an animal obsessed collecting culture where so much has gone extinct.
I would not find it odd. People occasionally even claim to have
the "same" dreams or so they think. People very often speak of trying to find "unicorns' it's a
very common expression. But I prefer it cut out, the ham handed chop edit fits like a gorilla in a ballet shoe.

Why would Gaff make an origami unicorn and leave it at Deckards door? Why would Scott film a sequence about Deckard dreaming of a unicorn?

Coincidence? Scott repaired the error made by the studio but the damage remains to this day.

Addition. Ive never dreamed of unicorns.

Last edited:
Why would Gaff make an origami unicorn and leave it at Deckards door? Why would Scott film a sequence about Deckard dreaming of a unicorn?

Coincidence? Scott repaired the error made by the studio but the damage remains to this day.

Addition. Ive never dreamed of unicorns.

Sure he could have. He made a matchstick wiener man and gosh golly Deckard has a wiener. Coincidence! :p
I was here, I am cutting you some slack. Chase your unicorn Deckard, it won't last.

It's a common art depiction and meaning.
The coincidence is there yes, and it makes one think on it, but it's far from proof.

More like how Miller's "plate of shrimp" happens all the time. Surely happens to me all the time.

Doesn't mean they know my dreams.

Besides, would it not be implanted memories Gaff would know? Not dreams which are random and strange?

We don't remember most of our dreams. You can't say if you dreamed of unicorns before.

Last edited by a moderator:
Now your trying to tell me what I dream and dont dream.:lol

In fact, it was only a daydream, a wandering mind for Deckard so yeah, an implant makes absolute sense.

Gaff`s origami all had a specific meaning and purpose..ergo the unicorn was a message to Deckard...I know about you but hey, I got your back anyway. It gave meaning to an otherwise vanilla ending.

I will always go with the person who lived, slept and dreamt the movie they made over mumbo jumbo. See what I did there.

Last edited:
Now your trying to tell me what I dream and dont dream.:lol

In fact, it was only a daydream, a wandering mind for Deckard so yeah, an implant makes absolute sense.

Gaff`s origami all had a specific meaning and purpose..ergo the unicorn was a message to Deckard...I know about you but hey, I got your back anyway. It gave meaning to an otherwise vanilla ending.

I will always go with the person who lived, slept and dreamt the movie they made over mumbo jumbo. See what I did there.

But that's still not a memory. No one can have an actual memory of a living non-existent animal.
It's a spontaneous creation of the mind day or night dream. So either way, Gaff could not know since it can't be an implanted memory.
It's not the first unicorn Gaff made. He had to learn how to do it first. Look up that sucker, it's hard to make. I gave up and
bought one on ebay. LOL. Deckard could have seen them left behind by him before in the station too. Seeing
Gaff again and his little hobby made him think of unicorns.

But that's still not a memory. No one can have an actual memory of a living non-existent animal.
It's a spontaneous creation of the mind day or night dream. So either way, Gaff could not know since it can't be an implanted memory.
It's not the first unicorn Gaff made. He had to learn how to do it first. Look up that sucker, it's hard to make. I gave up and
bought one on ebay. LOL. Deckard could have seen them left behind by him before in the station too. Seeing
Gaff again and his little hobby made him think of unicorns.

Um, what? Now your really drawing a long bow.

Its getting just like that moment when Woody Allen pulls out Marshall Mcluhan from the crowd. Where is Ridley Scott when you need him.:lol

Last edited:
And the story Rachel clung too about the spider is all real as well.;) Let me have my dinner for Gods sake.:lol

And implanted memory from Tyrell's niece as was explained.

Bottom line, the unicorn scene is not proof of Deckard as replicant. Wouldn't hold up in court.

And implanted memory from Tyrell's niece as was explained.

Bottom line, the unicorn scene is not proof of Deckard as replicant. Wouldn't hold up in court.

And many of your points wouldnt hold up my shorts.;)

I cant be anymore clear and concise with my arguments without introducing any psycho babble into the equation but hey, I get you have put yourself in such a position that nothing short of Ridley Scott himself refuting you would have any impact. I dont care if you think Deckard is or isnt but if I have made some people think twice about it, I`m more than happy to leave it at that.

And many of your points wouldnt hold up my shorts.;)

I cant be anymore clear and concise with my arguments without introducing any psycho babble into the equation but hey, I get you have put yourself in such a position that nothing short of Ridley Scott himself refuting you would have any impact. I dont care if you think Deckard is or isnt but if I have made some people think twice about it, I`m more than happy to leave it at that.

I don't give Scott that much power over the art of so many. He brilliantly brought together
the musicians to create a grand sci fi noir symphony, but he didn't compose it, he conducted it.
So no his later declaration means little to me other than
a post production concept, a deleted story line, amusing to contemplate like the ending
where Deckard kills Rachael or Tyrell in a cryo-coffin. I think he got shot down so much on it his ego
drove him to blurt it out later recklessly many years later. His attitude of I gift you this revelation to the big question.
Well not so much for many fans. He should have thanked all those that saved
him from really short circuiting the narrative.
If BR had a true Deckard is a replicant reveal. The flick would never have endured
like it has. It struggled so much as it was at the box office. The mystery of questions unanswered
fueled it's endurance.

Its a false mystery perpetuated by the movie business itself and those who cant bring themselves to admit it. The sad part for you is that it did truely reveal Deckard was a replicant, but in the rich myriad of subtle ways I have more than reasonably explained in these ever increasing draining posts. The only enduring thing about it is that it wasnt served up on a plate for easy consumption.

Back to the thread topic...Its more than clear that a baby produced by two replicants carries a world more weight than a human interbred child. A Humicant if you will.

Its pointless to pursue such a thing. The line from the recent movie itself says it all " More human than humans". Not more human than half a human. Deckard was special like Rachel was special otherwise its just boils down to a forties cop movie with great effects.

A true soul is the result of two replicants having a child. irrefutable before the eyes of all and discounts any that would try and water it down and muddy the waters as to its purity and put it down as only the result of a mixed union. Even to God him/herself.

Wallace even tells us for goodness sake. Do some people need a screenshot of Deckards DNA results or a close up of his bones just to accept it?

I rest my case.

Last edited:
2049 is it's own deal, I personally never wanted or needed a sequel. In fact I was greatly against a direct sequel
and remain so.
For me personally it's not relevant to the first film's mysteries. I reject that Hicks and Newt are corpses
and think that Indy Jones never chased a crystal skull.
It's all art and we all can choose to interpret and enjoy it how we wish such that it enhances our lives.
Deckard as replicant answered strips away the value of the first film that has endured for me.
For me. Not everyone. Why does the Mona Lisa smile?

Films are about emotions. I bonded with the first film as a young teen after dealing with sudden loss of a parent
and not having answers. Sometimes nearly alone as the theater was often very sparse.
So even the narration is part of my experience. I can watch directors cut and
that hated narration is in my head just as it was then anyways. I don't hate it.
So if Deckard as replicant is rich and meaningful for some folks as BR is for me without that revelation,
and 2049 was the sequel very satisfying to them as well.
Please enjoy that. I can respect that, I just can't share it. Different people can love a film for totally
different reasons.

I get a nose bleed just thinking about how high the horse I would have to sit on to be able to say that I totally disregard the views of a films actual maker. To disagree with something say James Cameron says about The Terminator is unthinkable to me. Just an example.

CessnaDriver Regardless of our positions on the matter, I think it was a very interesting conversation to have that raised some issues not brought up before. Even worth making my dinner go cold having it.:cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
@CessnaDriver Regardless of our positions on the matter, I think it was a very interesting conversation to have that raised some issues not brought up before. Even worth making my dinner go cold having it.:cheers

As always my man! Dear gawd BR fans are attracted to Deck as rep or not rep like moths to the flame. LOL
It's a joy. :thumbsup

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back