Blade Runner 2049 (Post-release)

I'm going to watch the behind the scenes stuff tonight, and then probably re-watch the video short stories as well. I genuinely can't get enough of this world. It makes me feel like a kid watching Star Wars again.

So it just occurred to me. Did one-eyed lady have her eye removed so she could not be identified as a replicant?

Finally got to see the movie. Just spent an hour rereading this thread to try to get many questions answered. LOVED the film!!! This is one to ponder on for decades.

So it just occurred to me. Did one-eyed lady have her eye removed so she could not be identified as a replicant?
In the Blackout 2022 short, Iggy Cygnus (one of the Nexus 8 combat models who rebelled on Calantha alongside Sapper and Freysa) removes his own right eye after detonating the a fuel tanker 'bomb' that destroys Tyrell's server farm to avoid detection. Presumably Freysa did the same.

I never believed, for one minute, that Deckard was a Rep. I mean, he's finding his humanity and renewed moral compass by taking Rachael under his wing (therefore "saving" her, making him the knight in shinning armor and a teacher as well). Those redeeming "values" are making them survivors ( and, as we know, survivors have to take extreme measures to survive as showed in BR 2049).
As for the Unicorn and the impossible dream of becoming real humans in every sense of the way, it's simply an analogy...that, or the effects of PTSD experienced by the Rep Detects of the Blade Runner Unit...who knows at that point.:unsure

I mean, he's finding his humanity and renewed moral compass by taking Rachael under his wing (therefore "saving" her, making him the knight in shinning armor and a teacher as well).

I didnt get that feeling at all when he was forcing her up against the Venetian blinds but hey, why not. I`m not going to let my dinner and now breakfast get cold again over this discussion again.

ADDITION. I will add however that the scene in question drives home Wallaces point even further, they were compelled to mate.

Tyrell, what an evil genius *******.

Last edited:
Just watched it again and man it's the best thing. My projector has never been so happy.

Reading the last few bits on this thread brings me to the question, we know Ridley unconditionally has deckard being a replicant and a filmmaker will always change scripts compared to their counterpart literature.

The question is can Ridley change something so fundamental in a story that he even has a say?

There could be no Superman story were he wasn't an alien but human.
No LOTR where Smeagol wasn't a hobbit but I don't know a Orc or whatever they are.

I can't think of another script where it took such risks so well and to such great effect that we are still talking about it 36 years on :)

The question is can Ridley change something so fundamental in a story that he even has a say?

Because HE dragged what was a relatively obscure work into the world conscience, reimagined it, gave it a whole new audience and made it a pop culture icon for eternity. Good enough?

Would you rather watch a direct adaptation of Do androids dream of electric sheep or Blade Runner?

ADDITION : I guarantee Phillip K Dick`s family are eternally grateful to Sir Ridley Scott for his efforts.;)

Last edited:
Would you rather watch a direct adaptation of Do androids dream of electric sheep or Blade Runner?

add cricket noises.jpg

Just watched it again and man it's the best thing. My projector has never been so happy.

Reading the last few bits on this thread brings me to the question, we know Ridley unconditionally has deckard being a replicant and a filmmaker will always change scripts compared to their counterpart literature.

There could be no Superman story were he wasn't an alien but human.
No LOTR where Smeagol wasn't a hobbit but I don't know a Orc or whatever they are.

I can't think of another script where it took such risks so well and to such great effect that we are still talking about it 36 years on :)

Red Son pretty much did this and it's the only Superman story I actually own, or even know =(

I was implying that, he's the teacher even when shoving Rachael against the blind: she's a highly sophisticated AI with a computer that learns and adapts to context and different situations. Her implants/memory are from Tyrell's niece...how old was the niece? Young, or teenager or a full grown adult? Did she experience love, passion, did she had a boyfriend?
When Deckard tells her "Say I want you" it's simply to program her to say and think/feel what the words mean in that context. Don't forget in another screenplay, Deckard stops the car, so Rachael can see/feel, for the first time it seems, snow! It would, then, be logical that the memory implants she possess don't include a knowledge of intimacy and love with a mate.

Because HE dragged what was a relatively obscure work into the world conscience, reimagined it, gave it a whole new audience and made it a pop culture icon for eternity. Good enough?

ADDITION : I guarantee Phillip K Dick`s family are eternally grateful to Sir Ridley Scott for his efforts.;)

The process started long before Scott and many people were involved.......... nothing was dragged, it was developed with intent.

Interest in adapting Philip K. Dick's novel Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? developed shortly after its 1968 publication. Director Martin Scorsese was interested in filming the novel, but never optioned it.[40] Producer Herb Jaffe optioned it in the early 1970s, but Dick was unimpressed with the screenplay written by Herb's son Robert: "Jaffe's screenplay was so terribly done ... Robert flew down to Santa Ana to speak with me about the project. And the first thing I said to him when he got off the plane was, 'Shall I beat you up here at the airport, or shall I beat you up back at my apartment?'"[41]
The screenplay by Hampton Fancher was optioned in 1977.[42] Producer Michael Deeley became interested in Fancher's draft and convinced director Ridley Scott to film it. Scott had previously declined the project, but after leaving the slow production of Dune, wanted a faster-paced project to take his mind off his older brother's recent death.[43] He joined the project on February 21, 1980, and managed to push up the promised Filmways financing from US$13 million to $15 million. Fancher's script focused more on environmental issues and less on issues of humanity and religion, which are prominent in the novel and Scott wanted changes. Fancher found a cinema treatment by William S. Burroughs for Alan E. Nourse's novel The Bladerunner (1974), titled Blade Runner (a movie).[nb 2] Scott liked the name, so Deeley obtained the rights to the titles.[44] Eventually he hired David Peoples to rewrite the script and Fancher left the job over the issue on December 21, 1980, although he later returned to contribute additional rewrites.[45]
Having invested over $2.5 million in pre-production,[46] as the date of commencement of principal photography neared, Filmways withdrew financial backing. In ten days Deeley had secured $21.5 million in financing through a three-way deal between The Ladd Company (through Warner Bros.), the Hong Kong-based producer Sir Run Run Shaw and Tandem Productions.[47]
Dick became concerned that no one had informed him about the film's production, which added to his distrust of Hollywood.[48] After Dick criticized an early version of Fancher's script in an article written for the Los Angeles Select TV Guide, the studio sent Dick the Peoples rewrite.[49] Although Dick died shortly before the film's release, he was pleased with the rewritten script and with a 20-minute special effects test reel that was screened for him when he was invited to the studio. Despite his well-known skepticism of Hollywood in principle, Dick enthused to Scott that the world created for the film looked exactly as he had imagined it.[32] He said, "I saw a segment of Douglas Trumbull's special effects for Blade Runner on the KNBC-TV news. I recognized it immediately. It was my own interior world. They caught it perfectly." He also approved of the film's script, saying, "After I finished reading the screenplay, I got the novel out and looked through it. The two reinforce each other, so that someone who started with the novel would enjoy the movie and someone who started with the movie would enjoy the novel."[50] The motion picture was dedicated to Dick.[51] Principal photography of Blade Runner began on March 9, 1981, and ended four months later.[52]

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back