Blade Runner 2049 (Post-release)

Yeah it will be divisive, it should be. If it isn't, probably no-one cares. Personally I always keep my expectations as low and skeptical as possible, because I prefer to be pleasantly and unexpectedly surprised than let down, and I think it's important to remain critical. It's going to depend entirely on the script and the story. I trust in Fancher and Scott in their respective disciplines. On the other hand, I consider 2019 and 2049 to both have been massive, massive risks that hugely paid off (for the fans, otherwise not really) and sort of an anomaly in that regard. Lightning in a bottle and all that.

Personally speaking, my potential concerns are mostly that this could suffer for attempts to set up an ongoing cash cow with an emphasis on return rather than substance (I am very much over hearing the phrase "cinematic universe"). I'm struggling to think of a trilogy that didn't have a weak link or a commercially compromised element, though there probably is one.

If anything comes of this more than an article quote, I'll just stay away and learn as little as possible about it, and judge it on its own merits when it arrives. Worked out pretty well for me with 2049.

I'm a firm believer that every story requires a beginning, a middle, and an end. Personally, I think each film has played its proper role so far. If there is another film, I hope it will conclude the overall narrative.

As Augh mentioned above, I'm also not interested in any more franchise building exercises that are just perpetual film releases...I just hope Denis Villeneuve returns.

I know Scott says it was too long, but has he ever said anything story wise that he had a problem with, or is it things like establishing shots or traveling sequences?

I dont have that concern about a cash cow just yet Augh.

With or without Harrison`s Fords involvement I think there is enough of an untold story to wrap it up with a third movie. Revolution is probably going to be the main theme but I cant see it being turned into just an action packed shoot em up, especially if Scott and Fancher are involved. If there starts being talk of a TV series, Comic book series or in the extreme, a theme park element to it, then most people would simply be turned off the entire prospect.

ADDITION....It also presents another opportunity to visit another part of that universe I`ve always wanted explored...The Offworld Colonies.

Last edited by a moderator:
All fair and solid points.

I'm always going to be concerned just cause it's important to me, and I'm just a skeptic by nature. No real way around that and it's really my problem (and possibly my fault) rather than anything to do with the material.

I saw some stuff where the editor Joe Walker was discussing the production, it seems the script has been fairly stable from the start or close to it, and no major sequences were scripted and cut. Reading the final shooting script definitely backs that up in full. An establishing shot here, a line of dialogue there are the major differences. So I would guess that Ridley was thinking of things like transitional shots and so on in terms of how he might have cut down the movie.

I always liked how the offworld colonies are a total mystery and only alluded to and talked about, with the very subtle implication they may not be all that they are cracked up to be. If they can handle them tastefully, respectably and convincingly though, there is certainly a whole lot out there to play around in, show and think about.

Last edited:
All fair and solid points.

I'm always going to be concerned just cause it's important to me, and I'm just a skeptic by nature. No real way around that and it's really my problem (and possibly my fault) rather than anything to do with the material.

I saw some stuff where the editor Joe Walker was discussing the production, it seems the script has been fairly stable from the start or close to it, and no major sequences were scripted and cut. Reading the final shooting script definitely backs that up in full. An establishing shot here, a line of dialogue there are the major differences. So I would guess that Ridley was thinking of things like transitional shots and so on in terms of how he might have cut down the movie.

I always liked how the offworld colonies are a total mystery and only alluded to and talked about, with the very subtle implication they may not be all that they are cracked up to be. If they can handle them tastefully, respectably and convincingly though, there is certainly a whole lot out there to play around in, show and think about.

I posted about the Too Long statement elsewhere but can t find it....

Ive totally done my head in trying to figure out why BR 2049 was a box office failure, I cant come up with a rational explanation for it at all, especially when you consider the great success of movies released recently that on every level of quality of film production cant hold a candle to it.

When someone such as Ridley Scott, who has such a tremendous knowledge of how the business works and a great passion for the subject matter and absolutely would have wanted it to succeed, partly explains that failure on it being "Too ******* Long"., I have to accept his judgement on the matter. I would have gladly sat through a four hour version of BR 2049 but at the end of the day, I`m just a fan. Scott copped a lot of flack over that comment and was labelled arrogant by some narrow minded people. But none of those people can compete with him in terms of knowledge and experience in my opinion.

I don't think a single thing occurred which created the lack of success, but a combination of multiple things. Run time probably played into it, but I'm sure the huge gap between the production of each film and weaker than anticipated appeal to the masses were also elements of that.

Last semester I ended my classes with a lecture on the future of communication. Robots and the Voight Kampf test were a part of that lesson. I asked my students if anyone had seen either BR movie, and not a single one had. Actually, we watched GOTG, and only about 15 people had seen it, and when it came to Rogue One, only about 5 had seen that one.

That was super surprising to me. I always think people at least have a desire to see what I also like, but the majority of my students neither had the desire to see those movies, nor did they quite follow them that well when we watched them in class...

Last edited:
I`m reading that it didnt have the biggest promotion budget either. This could be a problem for the reasons you put forward in your post. If there is a large group of people that dont know much about the original, they aren`t exactly going to rush off to the theatres I guess.

I thought it was odd that the producers didn't bother with promoting the film at NYCC, especially considering the film was opening the same weekend as NYCC. Would it have taken much to set up a booth or a display to pique interest at a convention geared for these movies? It's like they poured all their money into SDCC's event and ran out for NYCC. But I guess in the grander scheme of things, only SDCC matters to Hollywood, and everything else is small beans.

I think they underestimated their need for marketing. Maybe because on paper, you have a massively successful & lauded director, Harrison Ford for the boomers, Ryan Gosling for the millennials, in a film with a high anticipation factor, with Scott's name kinda floating around the whole thing. I can see where they may have thought any of those factors would bring folks in. A gamble that unfortunately didn't pay off.

That said, I believe this movie will end up with a cult status on down the line, much like it's predecessor. It's just too good to be ignored.

I thought it was odd that the producers didn't bother with promoting the film at NYCC, especially considering the film was opening the same weekend as NYCC. Would it have taken much to set up a booth or a display to pique interest at a convention geared for these movies? It's like they poured all their money into SDCC's event and ran out for NYCC. But I guess in the grander scheme of things, only SDCC matters to Hollywood, and everything else is small beans.

For sure, I`m in a whole other country but still realise that you ignore the East Coast of the US at your peril, pity they didnt realise it.

DVD Jan 16, right ? I've avoided seeing this in the theatre (and this thread) because I just can't handle that running time compared with potential morons in the crowd. Really looking forward to relaxing in my living room, taking a nice half-way intermission and sipping a rye.

DVD Jan 16, right ? I've avoided seeing this in the theatre (and this thread) because I just can't handle that running time compared with potential morons in the crowd. Really looking forward to relaxing in my living room, taking a nice half-way intermission and sipping a rye.

Make sure you pump the sound/base up. The sound was a very important part of the experience for me.

Ben

Dont have a 4K set up yet but if anything is going to get me to make the jump, this movie is what will to be it.

This has only a very slight film review component and is more about the tech side.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had never once purchased a soundtrack from a movie, but this music was enough to prompt me to do so. I've listened to it every time I have been in the car since buying it. I simply can't applaud it as much as it deserves because it's darn good.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back