Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast
Subscribe
  1. Member Since
    Jun 2008
    From
    Northern England,UK
    Oct 6, 2017, 6:46 AM - Re: Blade Runner 2049 (Post-release) #26

Fawbish said: View Post
    I thought she actually said "Now I am the best one" which aligned with her clear desire to be favoured by Wallace.

That...was freaking brilliant. I don't think it will resonate immediately with some, but you can just tell its going to ripen so well with age.

Its packed full to the brim with feeling, and yet has times that feel so...empty. On purpose of course.

It's telling that the most human character in this film is the AI, Joi. I think, anyway.
    Thanks, I probably miss heard due to the ringing in my ears, it was pretty loud at that point.

I didn't think it was dog, it was an origami sheep ( a hint towards the old novel title of the original Bladerunner film, "Do Androids dream of electric sheep)

And yes, the inclusion of the dog really touched a cord with me, being a dog owner. Over the debate whether it was real or not I'd have really liked to see the "red eye" effect included as it walked out of the shadow. That would have really put the cat amongst the pigeons!!!
    From
    United Kingdom
    Oct 6, 2017, 7:11 AM - Re: Blade Runner 2049 (Post-release) #27

Did anyone think the spinners were off? Was thinking about it this morning but in the original they really didn't have much sound and had a great sound as they passed, but these felt like they come out of the last Tron.

Loved the film, get what people have said about the music but did enjoy it still (actually listening to soundtrack now). The scenery was amazing and the story was good, but for all that wish it had not been made I loved the way the original ended hanging like that, that is now gone!
    From
    Madison, WI
    Oct 6, 2017, 7:49 AM - Re: Blade Runner 2049 (Post-release) #28

I like that the answer Deckard have if the dog was real was “ask him”. Because to him, it didn’t friggn matter, just like it didn’t matter that Rachael was, that’s how I took it.

i also found it odd that Deckard had a police spinner and not his car. I suppose it made sense to swap cars somewhere but you’d think stealing a police vehicle would have tipped someone off.

Also, how awesome was it that they got to use that original opening idea for the first film with the farm, the soup, and the replicant.

And, called this accurately back when the trailer first came out. Still curious if the date is when she dies, or when she gave birth.

https://www.therpf.com/showthread.ph...=1#post4242978
    Last edited by Kylash; Oct 6, 2017 at 10:37 AM.
    From
    United Kingdom
    Oct 6, 2017, 11:00 AM - Re: Blade Runner 2049 (Post-release) #29

Did she die in childbirth?
    From
    Madison, WI
    Oct 6, 2017, 11:07 AM - Re: Blade Runner 2049 (Post-release) #30

Considering there was the photo of her in front of the tree holding the child.... dont think so.
  6. RPF Premium Member
    Oct 6, 2017, 11:26 AM - Re: Blade Runner 2049 (Post-release) #31

Kylash said: View Post
    Considering there was the photo of her in front of the tree holding the child.... dont think so.
    No, I believe she did did in childbirth. There was an emergency c-section to save the baby.

Wasn’t the woman holding the baby in the photo the resistance leader we meet later who has removed her right eye? She talks about being there, etc.

I could be wrong. It was a late night showing and I need to see it... a few more times. But I definitely got the clear impression Rachael died in childbirth.
    From
    United Kingdom
    Oct 6, 2017, 11:27 AM - Re: Blade Runner 2049 (Post-release) #32

Wasn't that the droid with the missing eye, picture didn't look like Rachel to me.
    From
    Madison, WI
    Oct 6, 2017, 11:30 AM - Re: Blade Runner 2049 (Post-release) #33

That could be, for some reason I assumed it was her, resembled her with straight hair.
  9. RPF Premium Member
    Oct 6, 2017, 11:31 AM - Re: Blade Runner 2049 (Post-release) #34

Marv said: View Post
    Wasn't that the droid with the missing eye, picture didn't look like Rachel to me.
    Bingo.

The real question is, within Villeneuve's diegesis (ignore what Ridley Scott has said for a moment), is Deckard a replicant?

Clearly Rachael was given a human reproductive system, but if Deckard is a replicant, Tyrell must have done the same for him. One thing we know for sure is that Deckard was not shooting blanks.

Was Wallace telling Deckard straight up he was designed to reproduce with Rachael, or was he taunting/manipulating him?

I need to get back in the theater...
    From
    Madison, WI
    Oct 6, 2017, 11:34 AM - Re: Blade Runner 2049 (Post-release) #35

He definitely was trying to mess with him, making another Rachael is proof of that, so I wouldnt believe anything he said, just as Deckard doesnt.

I think it was a way to just raise that question again without taking one side or the other. If he was designed to reproduce with her, why put him in such a dangerous line of work, there are several times where he almost didnt make it, and there goes the plan.
    From
    Annapolis MD
    Oct 6, 2017, 12:10 PM - Re: Blade Runner 2049 (Post-release) #36

I need to watch it a second time to really have an opinion but I honestly felt like I was back in the blade runner universe but at the same time, it didn't feel like the original Ridley Scott type of story telling or the type of story to tell in that universe, if that makes any sense. The parts I loved about the original was the dystopian grim relationships between the characters. Funny how Joi's relationship with K was so...human.

I was feeling a bit John Wick'ed during the attack on K, Deckard, and his dog. Thought the fella bought it in the explosion. Was instantly happy to see the dog was okay. Also, @Kylash...When K's drone was surveying the city, I saw many abandoned police cars. Deckard probably just appropriated a working one...like the many, many, many bottles of liquor.

I'm definitively going back to see this again this weekend.
  12. RPF Premium Member Darth Lars's Avatar
    From
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Oct 6, 2017, 12:25 PM - Re: Blade Runner 2049 (Post-release) #37

Joi's relationship with K was the result of clever programming. She was a software package, designed to be a dream girl for whichever Joe Q Loser that bought a copy.
    Designed to fall in love with him and to make him fall in love with her - and that required adapting to the customer. K was a non-human who was desperate for humanity, so that is what he got.

Jedisushi said: View Post
    The real question is, within Villeneuve's diegesis (ignore what Ridley Scott has said for a moment), is Deckard a replicant?
    All I've heard points to that Villeneuve would have chosen to leave that question open-ended for each audience member to decide for him/herself.

That, and that Villeneuve had asked reviewers not to spill spoilers makes Villeneuve an awesome person in my book.
  13. Member Since
    Nov 2006
    Oct 6, 2017, 12:32 PM - Re: Blade Runner 2049 (Post-release) #38

I got the impression that Rachael was specifically created to entice Deckard (or someone like him), not that he was a replicant, necessarily. Apparently Tyrell's experiment was more than just seeing if she could pass for human.

By the way, maybe it's just me but was seeing Rachael like R1 Leia all over again?
    From
    Madison, WI
    Oct 6, 2017, 1:03 PM - Re: Blade Runner 2049 (Post-release) #39

Yeah there was some weirdness in her facial movements. But they were smart and kept her face out of picture for most of her lines.
  15. Member Since
    Dec 2015
    Oct 6, 2017, 2:10 PM - Re: Blade Runner 2049 (Post-release) #40

I loved the answer to Is he or isn't he a replicant. Answer: Yes, No, Maybe. It doesn't matter. Ask the dog if it's real. It's alive and it wants to stay that way. Real or not.
    I saw the film last night and it's easily one of my favorite science fiction movies already. It was just that good. There's no way I'm making it through the weekend without seeing it again.
  16. RPF Premium Member Darth Lars's Avatar
    From
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Oct 6, 2017, 2:28 PM - Re: Blade Runner 2049 (Post-release) #41

Tan Djarka said: View Post
    By the way, maybe it's just me but was seeing Rachael like R1 Leia all over again?
    In my eyes, it was as perfect as it could have been. She wasn't supposed to be too human anyway.

I stayed for the credits. Sean Young was credited - both among the leads and in the list of cast. I believe it must have been performance capture of a 3D model of her own younger face. Loren Peta got the credit as her body double.
    From
    United Kingdom
    Oct 6, 2017, 2:51 PM - Re: Blade Runner 2049 (Post-release) #42

I don't think that Rachel had human organs, my thinking is that the whole point was that Tyrell made her as close to human as could be down to the point that her replicant organs functioned as human organs do.
  18. RPF Premium Member
    From
    Launch Bay Alpha
    Oct 6, 2017, 4:18 PM - Re: Blade Runner 2049 (Post-release) #43

Well, you can never go home again, now with that being said i felt like this film is guilty of not having what one of it's questions is and that is Soul.

After a second viewing of it though I realise it has a very painful and tortured one.

Was not impressed with the cityscape as it did not jibe with Ridleys original vision and the lack of Asian character let alone leads was not only an insult but clear evidence someone did NOT do their homework of Ridleys original vision of the City.

I also was not impressed with Deakins work it fell flat.

His use of water reflected on the walls in some scenes although a nice homage to Jordan and Ridleys "Busy backgrounds that don't have to make sense", there certainly was room for them to come up with their own innovations and it just was not there.

Loved ryans performance and what can you say about Harrison?

Nice to knowthat he can still bust out his old acting chops when the material moves him to do so.

Eddie James Gaff was absolutely horrible, the lack of voice and cityspeak lingo as well as his mannerisms just took me out of the movie that scene should have been left on the cutting room floor, but I blame Dennis for that one and not Eddie J

All in all I thought it was a worthy sequel, but what scares me is that they are planning 3 to 4 sequels to this.

If that happens there will not be enough rain or snow to cleanse oneself from that travesty.
    Last edited by Apollo; Oct 6, 2017 at 4:24 PM.
    From
    Switzerland
    Oct 6, 2017, 4:58 PM - Re: Blade Runner 2049 (Post-release) #44

One scene in this movie encapsulates the whole: a 45 second shot of the back of Ryan Gosling's head.

If you like this movie you probably didn't really understand the original.
    From
    United Kingdom
    Oct 6, 2017, 4:59 PM - Re: Blade Runner 2049 (Post-release) #45

Could it simply be that the area the first was set was like China town, so this time its simply set in another part of the metropolis?
    Yeah thought Gaff wasn't needed, and to add how did he know Deckard was being transported to the airport - that was an odd jump for me.
  21. RPF Premium Member CessnaDriver's Avatar
    Oct 6, 2017, 5:05 PM - Re: Blade Runner 2049 (Post-release) #46

Well, my decision to never view it is justified, the critical spoilers I read are certainly verified in full by comments here.
    There is no way I can allow this in my head as canon without greatly diminishing the first film's value to me.
    I'm sure it's a great film on it's own, but it's smashing under it's boot the first film for me and I will protect those memories
    over further exposition on characters that in my belief was a no go zone to begin with.

I am as alone as a man on the moon right now on this I know. Odd feeling.
  22. RPF Premium Member
    From
    Launch Bay Alpha
    Oct 6, 2017, 5:37 PM - Re: Blade Runner 2049 (Post-release) #47

No, Scott postulated that the Asian population would be the Majority by that time

Marv said: View Post
    Could it simply be that the area the first was set was like China town, .
  23. RPF Premium Member
    From
    Launch Bay Alpha
    Oct 6, 2017, 5:42 PM - Re: Blade Runner 2049 (Post-release) #48

You are not alone, I know how you feel, one of my friends feels the same way, but I have talked him into seeing it.

Is it as good as the first , hell no, but it is worth a viewing imo

CessnaDriver said: View Post
    I am as alone as a man on the moon right now on this I know. Odd feeling.
  24. RPF Premium Member Mr Webber's Avatar
    From
    Terra Australis
    Oct 6, 2017, 5:50 PM - Re: Blade Runner 2049 (Post-release) #49

wannabe said: View Post
    One scene in this movie encapsulates the whole: a 45 second shot of the back of Ryan Gosling's head.

If you like this movie you probably didn't really understand the original.
    Got nothing at all that wouldnt get me banned if I replied to that, just wanted to make sure it sticks.
    From
    Madison, WI
    Oct 6, 2017, 5:55 PM - Re: Blade Runner 2049 (Post-release) #50

I was so amazed by that opening scene flying to LAPD when i thought we were looking at flat barren land, when it was actually the tops of the city that was so smashed together, then you start seeing the lights from the ground level... just so amazing.

Overall, the best thing was that they didnt forget that it was a noir movie.