Blade Runner 2049 (Post-release)

... I just found out this is being released on December 26!!! I’m sooo happy!... I’ll buy it in digital and blu-ray for sure! After the meh-fest that was TLJ, this will brighten my spirits! .... Is it a bad thing that my Favorite Sci-Fi of the year was NOT SW???

Absolutely not, my first though after seeing TLJ was how much more superior BR 2049 was in every aspect of the art of film making.

Absolutely not, my first though after seeing TLJ was how much more superior BR 2049 was in every aspect of the art of film making.
Totally agree.

Yet TLJ,will make a bazillion and generate more sequals, LOL. I did enjoy TLJ for what it was.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Had the same thought coming out of TLJ.

Wanted to add one thing not seen in this thread - what was the real point of having Deckard in this movie? To me, his presence and arc just felt forced. Don't get me wrong - love Ford and thrilled that he was in this movie, I just didn't see the point. Now, if K went to him and Deckard gave him more than he actually did (the secrets to how the child was born, what made Rachel special, I don't know - something more than "in order to love someone, you have to be a stranger"), then I'd be fine.

Plus, I really don't understand why the replicant revolutionary people wanted Deckard dead. Wouldn't they want him to question him themselves? How does killing Deckard help them in any way if they, too, want to reproduce? If anything they should have tasked K to get Deckard and bring him to them versus ordering him to kill Deckard.

Had the same thought coming out of TLJ.

Wanted to add one thing not seen in this thread - what was the real point of having Deckard in this movie? To me, his presence and arc just felt forced. Don't get me wrong - love Ford and thrilled that he was in this movie, I just didn't see the point. Now, if K went to him and Deckard gave him more than he actually did (the secrets to how the child was born, what made Rachel special, I don't know - something more than "in order to love someone, you have to be a stranger"), then I'd be fine.
To put it simply, and outside of any story implications, the film wouldn't have got greenlit without Ford's involvement. There had been a few attempts over the years to get a sequel off the ground but without Ford's involvement they didn't get anywhere. Deckard wasn't a genetic engineer, so I doubt he would know the details of Rachel's 'specialness' It's implied that Tyrell showed him her incept file after the VK test in the original film which was how he knew about the implanted memory of the spider, but I doubt it mentioned he had a functioning reproductive system otherwise he wouldn't have been surprised when she became pregnant.
Plus, I really don't understand why the replicant revolutionary people wanted Deckard dead. Wouldn't they want him to question him themselves? How does killing Deckard help them in any way if they, too, want to reproduce? If anything they should have tasked K to get Deckard and bring him to them versus ordering him to kill Deckard.
The replicant resistance didn't need to question Deckard - they already knew everything he knew, They had contact with him before the baby was born and Rachel died, and together theyworked out the details of the plan to hide the baby. He says that showed them how to scramble the DNA records, and after the birth his part in the plan was to disappear. As long as Deckard is alive, there is the possibility that he could be tortured to reveal the names of the replicant resistance leaders who took part in the plan to hide the baby, which then would lead Wallace to Ana. Having him dead removes that possibility.

If they have Ana, the replicants don't need Deckard to help them begin to reproduce - Ana's DNA is all they need, and she would become the 'Eve' of a new subspecies of replicant humans with the ability to reproduce.

On a more scientific level, although a child's nuclear DNA (the sequence of chromosomes that defines the characteristics of the organism) consists of half of the mother and father's nuclear DNA, the mitochondrial DNA (the sequence that controls the chemical conversion processes inside each cell) is only inherited from the mother. It may be that Tyrell's reproductive secret was in Rachel's mitochondrial DNA and they need the child to get it. It's also very difficult to extract complete mitochondrial DNA sequences from bones, hair or teeth as it degrades post-mortem a lot quicker than nuclear DNA (it only exists in the mitochondria of cells in living tissue). This may also be why they had removed the flesh from Rachel's bones (which is mentioned by Wood Harris' character during the path lab scene) before burying them.

Last edited:
Already ordered the blu ray but still can't wait for the 26th.
For me this has been a long wait.
Easily best film of the year imho.
buzby you should know better than to bring up the mitochondrians in a SW thread....
Oh hang on...:)

Last edited by a moderator:
To put it simply, and outside of any story implications, the film wouldn't have got greenlit without Ford's involvement. There had been a few attempts over the years to get a sequel off the ground but without Ford's involvement they didn't get anywhere. Deckard wasn't a genetic engineer, so I doubt he would know the details of Rachel's 'specialness' It's implied that Tyrell showed him her incept file after the VK test in the original film which was how he knew about the implanted memory of the spider, but I doubt it mentioned he had a functioning reproductive system otherwise he wouldn't have been surprised when she became pregnant.

The replicant resistance didn't need to question Deckard - they already knew everything he knew, They had contact with him before the baby was born and Rachel died, and together theyworked out the details of the plan to hide the baby. He says that showed them how to scramble the DNA records, and after the birth his part in the plan was to disappear. As long as Deckard is alive, there is the possibility that he could be tortured to reveal the names of the replicant resistance leaders who took part in the plan to hide the baby, which then would lead Wallace to Ana. Having him dead removes that possibility.

If they have Ana, the replicants don't need Deckard to help them begin to reproduce - Ana's DNA is all they need, and she would become the 'Eve' of a new subspecies of replicant humans with the ability to reproduce.

On a more scientific level, although a child's nuclear DNA (the sequence of chromosomes that defines the characteristics of the organism) consists of half of the mother and father's nuclear DNA, the mitochondrial DNA (the sequence that controls the chemical conversion processes inside each cell) is only inherited from the mother. It may be that Tyrell's reproductive secret was in Rachel's mitochondrial DNA and they need the child to get it. It's also very difficult to extract complete mitochondrial DNA sequences from bones, hair or teeth as it degrades post-mortem a lot quicker than nuclear DNA (it only exists in the mitochondria of cells in living tissue). This may also be why they had removed the flesh from Rachel's bones (which is mentioned by Wood Harris' character during the path lab scene) before burying them.

Interesting perspective and insight. This all assumes that a replicant's DNA behaves the same way as a human's, but we aren't given anything to believe that it wouldn't.

I hear what you are saying about Deckard and the resistance fighters, but if he worked with them in the past to hide Ana and protect Rachel's secret - it seems extreme (and in the film, forced in order to set up a showdown between K and Love) for what he would actually be able to pass on.

So I've never purchased a digital copy before. Am I right that I can buy it on ITunes, put it on a flash drive, and then play it through the port on my Bluray player?

I don't know if that will impact its picture quality, etc though...

So I've never purchased a digital copy before. Am I right that I can buy it on ITunes, put it on a flash drive, and then play it through the port on my Bluray player?

I don't know if that will impact its picture quality, etc though...
Not exactly as Apple doesn't play ball that way. You have to play it off your iTunes account (can be multiple registered Apple devices).

My solution for watching movies in my home theater is just to buy Apples HDMI adapter to my ipad. I'm watching a movie via that right now.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

If you’re in the US Best Buy has the Steelbook for pre-order and Walmart has a disc + spinner toy set for pre-order. I’m not impresssd with the toy so I’m ordering the Steelbook. Why does the rest of the world have all the cool limited sets? Here’s hoping something really cool is in the works.

If you have a Smart TV you can also download the 'Movies Anywhere' app which syncs various media accounts (Google Play, Netflix, Amazon etc) into one central place. It includes iTunes libraries.

Not available outside the US of course.... so I still have to use an HDMI adaptor.

Ridley Scott: BLADE RUNNER 2049 Was ‘Way Too Long’ | Birth.Movies.Death.

I had no idea that Ridley Scott contributed so much to the story and script. The following is from his recent interview with Vulture.

" What did you make of the way Blade Runner 2049 was received?
[Whispers] I have to be careful what I say. I have to be careful what I say. It was ****ing way too long. **** me! And most of that script’s mine.

Really?
Yes!

The story, or the script?
I sit with writers for an inordinate amount of time and I will not take credit, because it means I’ve got to sit there with a tape recorder while we talk. I can’t do that to a good writer. But I have to, because to prove I’m part of the actual process, I have to then have an endless amount [of proof], and I can’t be bothered.

[Editor’s note: Spoilers for Blade Runner 2049 follow in the next paragraph.]

But the big idea comes from Blade Runner. Tyrell is a trillionaire, maybe 5 to 10 percent of his business is AI. Like God, he has created perfect beings that, for all intents and purposes, there is no telling the difference from humans. Then he says, “You know what? I’m going to create an AI. I’ll have a male and female, they will not know that they’re both AIs, I’ll have them meet each other, they will fall in love, they will consummate, and they will have a child.” That’s the first film. The second film is, what happens to the baby? You’ve got to have the baby, you can’t have the mother, so the mother has to inexplicably die four months after she breastfeeds. The bones are found in the box at the foot of the tree — that’s all me. And the digital girlfriend is me. I wanted an evolution from Pris, who is inordinately sexy in the original, right?

I would say iconically so.
I shouldn’t talk. I’m being a bitch. "

Not really sure Ridley has any room to call this movie "****ing way too long" after the drawn-out disaster that was Alien: Covenant. I suppose you could argue BR: 2049 could have been cut down a bit, but I was so thrilled to be back in the Blade Runner universe, and so amazed by the beautiful cinematography, impressive set designs, and super cool costumes, I was absolutely relishing every single second.

That movie could have been five hours long and I still would have wanted more.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back