Blade Runner 2049 (Post-release)

There is a third option which on repeated viewings of the films I would like to believe is true, its only my theory but its a strong fit with the overall mythology.

WARNING!!!!!! Once you see it like this you won't be able to unthink it about the films though (or at least I can't now).

There is this huge emphasis on personal and collective memories in both the films which is striking powerful .

What is real , what is false what is implanted and how all determine self identity, both in a human or a replicant.

Now try watching them with this in mind :

Given that replicants are almost exactly like humans (given a few editted gene sequences) so much so that you can "implant" a human memory into a replicant, then it MUST follow the same technique CAN be used on a human being.

Now watch the original "Blade Runner".

Deckard HAD quit his job and yet suddenly finds himself drummed back into the department and the interview with Rachel. In 2049 there is more than a hint that the whole of the Deckard/ Rachel relationship is a deliberate experiment set up by Tyrell.
Photographs in both Deckards and Leons apartments are featured prominently and certainly act as strong triggers in Deckard memories (that photo of Rachel and her mother that moves, all the others scattered around the apartment, including one that looks very old but strangely like Rachel, even down to her period hair style)
In her statement to Deckard after she wakes him she says that she can remember playing the piano, (and what are the odds that Deckard just happens to have a piano in his apartment for her to use) but she isn't sure if its hers or Tyrells niece.
So its true that they can take human memories at this point and implant them into the more advanced replicants. Tyrell says so, they act as a "cushions" for them in the speech he gives Deckard (the famous "How can it not know what it is").

So its stand to reason they have probably managed to do the same (and the reverse) on normal human beings, but Tyrell would keep that absolutely dead quiet. If you think about the implications of memory transfer , if a human moved all his memories into a replicant body without a retirement date, you are talking immortality of a sort. Or you can use false memories that can be implanted to mislead and manipulate a subject.

Anyway, if Deckard has had implanted memories as the unicorn dream sequence suggests, that would allow Deckard to be human . And it removes nearly every other single problem in the two films whilst allowing the ambiguities to exist. Gaff discovered this ,we know that with the origami unicorn message and later ,in 2049, perhaps the sheep hint( and sorry what I have done here, I've just Bladerunnered/ Incepted you)

And hey Eagle. Nice to see that you back again!

Last edited:
Ha! yeah. Someone had the audacity to post on Twitter about something called a "Tomenosuke" blaster and now I'm hooked again, having being cured of chronic collectoritis all those years ago. :D Cheers.

As to Deckard; IMO, he's human - he absolutely has to be. For me it's the whole premise of the movie and without him being human it all falls apart and becomes a pointless exercise.

This is what I love about the original film. The ambiguity and different interpretations has kept us all arguing the truth for the past 30 years; which I think was the actual point of the film. It’s supposed to be ambiguous. I guess the right answer is the one you believe to be true. In my opinion Deckard is a replicant. I love the irony in all he says to Rachel at the start of the film, not realising he himself is a replicant.
“Memory’s. implants.”
“I’m sorry, you’re not a replicant, bad joke”
“How can it not know what it is?”

To me the fact that they are using a replicant who doesn’t know he’s a replicant to hunt down his own kind has a twisted deliciousness to it which makes the plot all that much thicker.

If we’re talking final cut, there is no ambiguity IMO as Scott has clearly said in his version deckard is replicant; the dreaming of a unicorn, gaffs origami at the end etc.

Also 2049 as I think mentioned already bolsters this view yet still leaves it a little open ended, which again IMO was masterfully done.

So great that we’re all still talking about this stuff though [emoji23][emoji1303]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

There is a third option which on repeated viewings of the films
I would like to believe is true, but its only my theory but its a strong fit with the overall mythology.
WARNING!!!!!! Once you see it like this you won't be able to unthink it about the films though.

The huge emphasis on all collective memory in both the films is striking powerful .

What is real and what is false and how both determine self identity, either in a human or a replicant.

Now try watching them with this option in mind :

Given that replicants are almost exactly like humans (given a few editted gene sequences) if you can "implant" a human memory into a replicant, then it MUST follow the same technique CAN be used on a human being.

Now watch the original "Blade Runner".

Deckard HAD quit his job and yet suddenly finds himself drummed back into the department and the interview with Rachel. With 2049 there is more than a hint the whole of the Deckard/ Rachel relationship is a deliberate experiment by Tyrell.
Photographs in both Deckards and Leons apartments feature prominently and certainly act as strong triggers in Deckard memories (that photo of Rachel and her mother that moves,all the other scattered in the apartment, including one that looks very old but strangely like Rachel, even down to her period hair style)
In her statement to Deckard after she wakes him she says that she can remember playing the piano, (and what are the odds that Deckard just happens to have a piano in his apartment for her to use) but she isn't sure if its her or Tyrells niece.
So it must be true that they can take human memories at this point and implant them into the more advanced replicants. Tyrell says so, they act as a "cushion".
So its stand to reason they have probably managed to do the same or the reverse on normal human beings, but Tyrell would keep that absolutely dead quiet. If you think about the implications , if a human moved all his memories into a replicant body you are talking immortality of a sort.
Anyway, that would allow Deckard to be human but also have implanted false memories. And it removes nearly every other single problem in the two films whilst allowing the ambiguities to exist( and sorry what I have done here, I've Bladerunnered/ Incepted you)

Man get out of my head , I just started speculating today OK what if it WAS an experiment by Tyrell ?

Him being retired and called back fits why he has no desk , locker what not. They pay off the chief to act like an old friend and kick off the experiment , then there is gaff he could be the REAL blade runner also he just seem to just follow Deckard around and watch him .
someone said earlier why would Deckard be human strength if he was built to fight , what if he is not but like Leto said built to to fall for Rachel .

Time line
Deckard gets the job he goes to Tyrrell and meets Rachel , leaves started investigation leading him to the dance club and the first replicant he has to kill .

What does he do ?

Call Rachel and asks her to join him, she declines, he then kills the replicant !

What if Rachel said O.K. I'm on the way ????????

Would he have just met her and never went after his first target after taking the trouble of tracking her down ?

After he kills the first replicant Leon shows up .
He just happen to be there , bad luck , then of course good luck that Rachel showed to save Deckard . lol

But looking from the company point of view .
He almost took the bait withwith Rachel before ever coming into contact with even the first replicant .
Who was only a pleasure model and not a trained fighter like Batty, and I suppose Leon ?!?
So even if he does confront her he has a gun she will most likely run. so from the company point of view Deckard would be relatively safe ..
Then boom he and Rachel went at it Deckards part of the experiment is complete , he is expendable after that point .

BUT Tyrrell is killed .
So the orders kind of stop on the experiment .

Gaff's like whatever I'm not getting paid to drop him . let's him go .

IDK there could be a case for it lol!

Damn corporations !!!

Of course in the book he is human so that will forever taint my view even though if you filmed the book word for word most people would not recognize it as blade runner its that different .

Last edited:
I got a screener copy this week and I thought I’d put I on while cleaning my office... ended up just sitting down and watching it again. A lot of the plot gaps I had trouble with before seemed smoother. Either way, I really like this movie and never thought a sequel could work. Maybe the screener didn’t have the best audio mix, but the sound design really benefited from being in a theater.

Deckard is not a replicant.
I always thought that because the funny eye effect accidentally showed on Ford in one scene that Ridley kind of thought it was interesting, and then said the things he did, then re-edited just to get people talking, and here we are talking still.
something like that.

Here's the special features:

- Designing The World of Blade Runner 2049
- To Be Human: Casting Blade Runner 2049
- PROLOGUES: 2022: Black Out
- PROLOGUES: 2036: Nexus Dawn
- PROLOGUES: 2048: Nowhere to Run
- Blade Runner 101: Blade Runners
- Blade Runner 101: The Replicant Evolution
- Blade Runner 101: The Rise of Wallace Corp
- Blade Runner 101: Welcome to 2049
- Blade Runner 101: Within the Skies: Spinners, Pilotfish and Barracudas
Includes UltraViolet so you can enjoy the film on many different compatible devices. MUST ENTER REDEMPTION CODE BY 2019-03-31 TO REDEEM ULTRAVIOLET OFFER. DOES NOT INCLUDE iTUNES FILE

Last edited:
None that were successful, this flopped at the Box Office, hence the already early Dec 26 digital release.

I was hoping they would release it even earlier to try and make that xtra x-mas cash that it needs

I would have loved that but honestly when had a movie of this scale been released that early. It's unrealistic.

Ben

All these steelbook and limited editions available for preorder in EU but nothing for the US yet?

I've also been looking around for some sort of special or collectors edition and haven't found anything. I will still pick up the standard edition from Amazon release day, but should some sort of special edition from later down the road, I will still pick that up as well. My soundtrack did arrive already though. I haven't listened to it yet but it's sitting nicely with my other collected Blade Runner soundtracks.

... I just found out this is being released on December 26!!! I’m sooo happy!... I’ll buy it in digital and blu-ray for sure! After the meh-fest that was TLJ, this will brighten my spirits! .... Is it a bad thing that my Favorite Sci-Fi of the year was NOT SW???

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back