RIP Tom Petty

I was really bummed to hear about his passing. I got to see them play a few times, and they were on point every single time. They always put on a very entertaining show, and played some great long sets! We'll miss you Tom, thank you for all of the great music!

Well just to make things worse Autopsy results in and he died as a result of an overdose.

He had all sorts of painkillers and drugs in his system which were prescribed to him due to his health problems.

His family states that it was his fractured hip which after he insisted on a 53 date tour got worse and was actually broken in the end which put him in so much pain he may have over medicated.

Effing totally heartbroken over this news :(

I saw him at the Hollywood Bowl not long before he passed. You'd never know he had any sort of injury. Really sad he had to go like this. I wish he had taken better care of himself. Also I wish doctor's wouldn't over prescribe that crap.

This is all too familiar. My sister's fiance died 10 years ago because he accidentally overdosed on hydrocodone. They had a car accident and he ran out of pain meds so he had a friend who also had a work injury that had pain medication. For some dumb reason he figured he could take the same dose of his friend's hydrocodone as whatever he was prescribed. He took it and died in his sleep. So my niece never got to see her dad.

"His family said Petty suffered from "many serious ailments" including emphysema, knee problems and a fractured hip.

"Despite this painful injury he insisted on keeping his commitment to his fans and he toured for 53 dates with a fractured hip and, as he did, it worsened to a more serious injury," their post says. The family said the fracture upgraded to a full-on break and they believe the pain "was simply unbearable" and the cause of his "overuse of medication."

"As a family we recognize this report may spark a further discussion on the opioid crisis and we feel that it is a healthy and necessary discussion and we hope in some way this report can save lives. Many people who overdose begin with a legitimate injury or simply do not understand the potency and deadly nature of these medications," the post reads. "

Pain will make you do anything to make it stop sometimes. Sounds like that tour really was too much.

Thats what makes it so sad, Tom gave his life for his fans.

He was a true showman.

Anybody who thinks touring is fun and glamorous has never done it.

It is a grueling never ending hell but you do it to keep the fans happy and make the money

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back