Last Starfighter cabinet build

Wish I had your wood working skills and tools. I (like so many others) have wanted my own Starfighter cabinet ever since Rogue Synapse made the actual game. I did some searching around, and have not found anyone that could actually make such a cabinet for me for sale. If you ever decide to create a kit and/or sell some of the harder cut wood pieces, I am sure there are a lot of people (such as myself) who would buy them.

That would definitely be easy enough, but shipping would be a lot I'd imagine. You're looking at 250 pounds worth of wood.

I don't have much of an update right now. I'm waiting on the joysticks and buttons to come in, and I don't want to get too much further along before have those so I can cut the rest of the holes.

I have been going through and hitting holes and stuff with Bondo, so it is forward progress at least.

Gregg

Keep it going, don't let this project go.

Don't worry. I won't.

Actually, after I posted a bit ago, I decided to go outside to the shop and mount the coin door. On the next one I'll definitely cut out the hole before hand.....providing I have the door already.

22447636_10103211462725024_1405202561_n.jpg22537857_10103211462744984_1916292971_n.jpg

That would definitely be easy enough, but shipping would be a lot I'd imagine. You're looking at 250 pounds worth of wood.

I don't have much of an update right now. I'm waiting on the joysticks and buttons to come in, and I don't want to get too much further along before have those so I can cut the rest of the holes.

I have been going through and hitting holes and stuff with Bondo, so it is forward progress at least.

Gregg

I am willing to pay for such. If you are ever willing to, let me know.

I bet you all thought I forgot about this, didn'tcha?

Well the wife is having me remodel the bathroom, so I haven't had much of an opportunity to get outside and play with this much, but some parts came in the other day, so I spent some time last night installing them.

For the switches I laser cut a plate that I will epoxy to the cabinet and blend in with some bondo, and decided to add real arcade speakers to the marque area, so I cut holes for those too.

Not a tremendous amount of work, but it's something. I still need to cut slots for the t-track and figure out how I am going to install the joysticks once those come in. After that I'll take it someplace warm and paint it.

20171025_203231.jpg20171025_202255.jpg20171025_203156.jpg20171025_203220.jpg

I bet you all thought I forgot about this, didn'tcha?

Well the wife is having me remodel the bathroom, so I haven't had much of an opportunity to get outside and play with this much, but some parts came in the other day, so I spent some time last night installing them.

For the switches I laser cut a plate that I will epoxy to the cabinet and blend in with some bondo, and decided to add real arcade speakers to the marque area, so I cut holes for those too.

Not a tremendous amount of work, but it's something. I still need to cut slots for the t-track and figure out how I am going to install the joysticks once those come in. After that I'll take it someplace warm and paint it.

View attachment 769042View attachment 769043View attachment 769044View attachment 769045

Is the right most switch supposed to be reversed?

Alright....I can finally move forward a bit more. My joysticks came in. Now I can figure out the hole placement for them and finish the clean up on this. I also got bored last night and drew up a joystick that is as close as I can get to what Philip has. I don't expect this to be permanent, but it will be a nice placeholder until I get a more accurate one.
22861579_10103247185985324_3619572753291154509_o.jpg

Just checking in. This is turning out beautifully!
Thanks Eaviii. The game plays beautifully. I just have to wait for it to warm up so I can paint the cabinet and get everything put together.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I was asked how much I have into the build so far, and here is where I'm at:

Laptop: $150
Monitor $130
Joysticks $ 40
Joystick Controller $20
Wood $100
T-track $6
Switches - $4
Speakers $35
Coin door $50
CNC work - $100
Misc - $100

So about $750 total. I probably have another $400-500 to put into it once I get it stuff machined, paint, decals, lights and stuff done. Who knows...maybe more.

It's a thing of beauty already! Awesome work on this. I've dreamed of making (re: having the room for) a mame cabinet made to look like this. Love love love!

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back