Half Life 3 - The Freeman Returns

Matchbox

Afternoon all, not been on here for a while so I'll start with more of what you're (well some of ya) are used to.

So, as an avid Dr Freeman Cosplayer (one of the very few I've seen anyways). I have decided to get another build on the go, after throwing out the MKI a few years ago, rushing out a MKII last comicon - I am now onto the MKIII, and things are getting a little bit real.

so this is the torso from May's comicon in the UK - standard foam/fiberglass build:

IMG_20171002_164730.jpg

you can probably see from my previous HEV suit builds that this one was.. basically crap :)
So the next venture is to build a stable - re-usable, actually practical version of the suit to a film prop level of quality (as I have a team to make a short film I hope).

(you know what this part is right XD)

IMG_20171002_164758.jpg

(This here is a shoulder pad/armour/mini-pauldron)
IMG_20171002_164956.jpg

layout.jpg

I've enlisted the help of my robot sidekick... well 3D printer :) and will be building the parts you see in the layout screen cap, the actual suit will be a combination of 3D printed components, EVA foam and the standard fibreglass.

Hope you guys enjoy!

/M

Ha well - the trusty robot sidekick died... soooo gonna have to knock this one out without the aid of science XD - easy enough right?

So instead of costuming I've been working on some of the smaller props I'd like to use in the film - here is a modded machine gun from the ol' half life XD

IMG_20171010_175552.jpgIMG_20171010_175557.jpgIMG_20171010_175604.jpg

Enjoi

i will mod the motor a bit more so it's less motor-y because yeah it's obvious that a stepper motor is useless in a gun XD, maybe laser scope type deal or something :) it's all still a WiP.

Not much progress - just keeping the ball rolling.

Fibreglassed and now getting the smoothing down - pretty much done here - will post again when some more work is done :)

IMG_20171105_182111.jpg

A little more sanding and a little more filling - not worth a new post... Need to tidy up some wonkey bits - might need to cheat it.

IMG_20171112_142153.jpg

Last edited:
Finished painting the majority of the torso - just needs some strap adjustments and a little bit of tidying up and I think we're rolling!

20171216_135720.png20171216_135731.png

Just the legs to build and arms to paint! getting there!

Thanks for watching :)

Forearm - Bicep completed construction - Thigh armour in progress

IMG_20180114_152348.jpg

Straightening up that dodgy front panel so the symmetry is better - & repainted logo.

IMG_20180114_152358.jpg

'tis all for now - new year drive ey :)

Love it! I was just thinking about starting an HEV. Do you have any good links to share for reference photos?

Check out some of my other threads - I've built like 3 of these HEV suits XD otherwise as above I went for the action figure as reference and other cosplays so it's not exactly game accurate just the base and a few personal twists - though this is a beautiful take on the HEV suit I've been looking at with my one - https://hsholderiii.deviantart.com/art/Custom-HEV-Design-288602484

Might just be the camera, but is the HEV suit not a little more orange?

Yeah HL1 is super orange - I actually prefer the yellowy mix for weathering, orange ends up looking a bit bright/clean - argument 2 colours fade over time and Freeman has been out of work for a solid 10 plus years :)

Cheers for the feedback x

So another amount of time with no posting - probab;y 'cause I've not taken many photos just busy painting and stuff :)

here we go with all parts built at least just painting and detailing left!

IMG_20180211_185536.jpgIMG_20180211_191045.jpgIMG_20180211_191051.jpgIMG_20180211_191057.jpg

Need to properly check my test fit as currently I can't get the buckles to do up by myself and they feel a bit tight so yeah.

And a random take on the beginnings of some combine outfit or a Barney... or a rebel fighter... or a bad ass scientist if I add one of my lab coats to the get-up

IMG_20180211_191204.jpgIMG_20180211_191208.jpg

(or something from destiny which I haven't actually palyed - I just thought of it and noticed a halo-esque resemblence)

Enjoy

/M

Say, if you tackle HL2 Barney, that would mean an HL2 Metrocop. Now that's a project I'd be very interested in!

indeed it would - and indeed it does - Barney is one of our characters too disguised again as.... A METROCOP (or maybe even Freeman meets him in this dimension as soldier but I wanna make it :) so yeah I'll at the very minimum - be putting together a metrocop mask, not sure about the full armour as we can make it a "stylised" type thing artistic licence and what not - so long as it's recognisable.

As far as the test fit - this thing literally fits like a glove - so much so that I need to adjust it/loosen it up to be able to breath in.

After reviewing the combine soldiers and the Civil Protection I've only just now realized the helmets are the same, only the soldiers have a sort of shield around the bottom filter for their masks. I just decompiled a pretty nice model with a very valuable texture if you're interested. Model looks like it was made by "mb814" on GameBanana. I'd like to tackle a Metro Cop too, and I think the texture file would serve as a fantastic sewing pattern guide! Lots of work to do, it's a project no one has finished to a high degree of quality.

Let's change that

The texture/model would definitely be worth a look over. I know it's going to be a bitch - I've only seen either a hella good combine helmet then the build stops for the armour or a reasonable armour with a dodgy helmet XD

Will probably pepakura most of the helmet and retro-fit with gas mask parts.

I've now completed the armour paint job and custom detailing - Will probably put a few short pc screws into specific points to make it look a little more legit but not urgent :)
Also replaced the straps and made them adjustable so the next test fit will be a little more successful/easy.

Next job is the lacquer coat and the rest of the props/costumes etc.

IMG_20180225_182510.jpgIMG_20180225_183110.jpgIMG_20180225_183120.jpgIMG_20180225_183123.jpgIMG_20180225_194507.jpg

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back