Star Trek phaser collection (work in progress)

wayouteast

Sr Member
I'm currently working on some new internal electronics for an old Playmates ST:TMP era phaser as a preliminary to making it slightly more accurate to the original prop. This involves adding additional LEDs along with two new circuit boards to give both the alternating white lights and sequencing coloured lights seen on the original. When the electronics are done it'll get a clean up, filling of screw holes and more accurate paint job.

IMG_1562.JPG

I've been inspired by the modification of the Elfin Knights Blade Runner blaster water pistol to finally get around to something else I've wanted for ages, which is having a complete run of original cast ST phasers. I seem to be working backwards though!

Currently complete are the STV / VI heavy assault phaser and the ST III / ST IV phaser (both very old resin kits acquired 25 years or so ago which have been sitting in a cupboard all that time waiting for the right time to complete! Both have been modified to add basic lighting effects - quite an undertaking as both are solid resin. They're shown here with the BR blaster.

IMG_1560.JPG

As you can see, particularly in the case of the ST III / IV phaser it's quite a challenge to fit the electronics into the phaser itself - this one has and array of steady and blinking red LEDs and a colour-changing status display in the 'fire button' (the original prop had 8 yellow and red LEDs that sequenced slowly through various colour combinations of solid yellow, red and orange. I couldn't quite replicate that so mine has 4 slow changing rainbow LEDs under the little square display that each sequence through a full range of colours; when they get out of sequence with each other you get a really nice complex range of shifting colours. The whole thing runs off a single 3v CR2032 cell. The phaser needed quite a lot of modification to get it even slightly accurate to the original prop as you can see from all the added plasticard! The small slide switch on the right of the phaser is the actual switch for the LEDs.

IMG_1537.JPGIMG_1538.JPG

The assault phaser has a green illuminating push button on the top - which operates the lighting - as well as a red 'operational' LED on the side (which is inaccurate to the original props but which I liked!), run from a PP3 9v battery in the handle.

IMG_1541.JPGIMG_1548.JPGIMG_1551.JPGIMG_1554.JPG

As mentioned the earlier Motion Picture / Wrath of Khan phaser is in progress, based on the old Playmates toy, and when that's done, I'll be moving on to the TOS phaser, as I managed to acquire one of the old 23rd-century pistol kits on eBay a few months back (I have a very old resin version of this phaser but it's very innaccurate both in size and shape).

IMG_1561.JPG

I'd quite like to complete the range with one of the really early 'laser guns' from the 'The Cage' too but haven't yet tracked down a kit for this as a starting point. Perhaps a scratch-build might be the only way of getting this. I think I'll probably also extend the range into the future with at least one ST:TNG phaser too - I have an old Playmates 'cobra-head' that in my stash!

IMG_1537.JPG

IMG_1538.JPG

IMG_1562.JPG

IMG_1560.JPG

IMG_1541.JPG

IMG_1548.JPG

IMG_1551.JPG

IMG_1554.JPG

IMG_1561.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
A quick update to show the completed phaser collection.

IMG_1780.JPG

From left to right phasers from:

TOS
Star Trek: the Motion Picture / Wrath of Khan
Search for Spock / The Voyage Home
The Final Frontier / The Undiscovered Country

The original series phaser is the '23rd Century Pistol' kit - built pretty much out of the box, except for a working clear acrylic sight / aspirator grille, a scratch-built aspirator grille with a more accurate pattern, and a metal 10-turn top dial. This brings my total of TOS phasers to three! This one, the Wand Company phaser and an old resin 'Technical Manual' version I built years ago.

IMG_1781.JPG fullsizeoutput_1bf2.jpeg

The Motion Picture / Wrath of Khan phaser is the Playmates toy, heavily modified, with upgraded lighting (including flashing phaser emitter, sequential white and coloured mode / power level LEDs and an illuminated dilithium crystal housing). It's also had all the screw holes / seams filled, a join added where the phaser 1 attaches to the main phaser 2, and a complete repaint, including chromatic tape on the side grooves.

IMG_1782.JPG

The Search for Spock / Voyage Home phaser is an old solid resin kit I've had for decades. The phaser 1 has been hollowed out to take accurate lighting - power level LEDs and a dilithium power display in the main 'switch' that cycles through colour changes while the phaser is active.

IMG_1783.JPG

The Final Frontier / Undiscovered Country phaser is solid resin, again, but has had a (non screen accurate) red indicator LED added to one side as well as the main square switch / power indicator on the back of the phaser illuminating green. A few of the details of the phaser have also been updated slightly.

IMG_1784.JPG

All the phasers are painted with a combination of AK Interactive Xtreme Metals (mainly gunmetal, steel and polished aluminium) and Vallejo Air paints.

Maybe I'm wrong but I was under the impression that the assault phaser was solid black as opposed to your gunmetal. Don't get me wrong, I MUCH prefer your paint scheme, it's much more interesting and realistic, but is it accurate?

I believe the original props were almost black with a slight metallic sheen, but there are pictures on the web which show a distinct difference between the base colour and the black grip. Some of these may later replicas, some made by Ed Miarecki. So there is some scope for ‘metallising’ the phaser body... and, like you, I really like the gunmetal finish. So... a bit of artistic licence maybe! :)

I hadn't even noticed your assault phaser was gunmetal and not black. I just thought it looked great and now that it was mentioned think the gunmetal looks much better.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back