Horror Movie Marathon

I've been rediscovering old Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee films.

One of the screen's great teams. Lee is a freakin' beast as the apex predator Dracula, and Cushing brings tremendous energy to those old Hammer films. They're a blast to watch.

Add The Island of Lost Souls to my list. It's an early take on Wells's The Island of Dr. Moreau, with Charles Laughton as the bad doctor and Lugosi as Sayer of the Law. Enjoyed it. These old films have remarkable thrift--beginning, middle, and end in 75 minutes. No nonsense, right to it. Modern directors could learn a lot from those old guys.

Yes, The Birds, a classic! I rewatched that a couple of years ago and thought it held up really well. My favorite part is the first 40-50 minutes that slowly build up the weirdness of what's actually going on.

Not really a horror movie, but we sometimes watch Cronenberg's The Dead Zone around Halloween.

Also try Videodrome from David Cronenberg. James Woods is typically slimey.

I'm going to check out the Bad Blood movie tonight. Amphibious transformation is good in my book!

And then The Babysitter for some good 70's slasher vibes...at least thats how the artwork looks

Also try Videodrome from David Cronenberg. James Woods is typically slimey.

Videodrome is a good suggestion. I've only seen it once but that was a long time ago.

My girlfriend tells a funny story from when she was a kid in 1979. Her Mom took her and her brother, both around 10 years old, to see a movie but accidentally walked into a theater playing The Brood. I'm not sure how much of it they saw but it was enough that she's never wanted to watch the movie as an adult.

All this Cronenberg talk reminds me that it might be time to revisit The Fly.

The Creature from the Black Lagoon. STARZ Encore ran it early this morning. I put on the tube to watch the news, and, miraculously, the Creature was about to start. Couldn't believe my luck (usually nothing's on that early). Got the percolator going and enjoyed.

Fun film, and the monster suit is fantastic!

I'm going to check out the Bad Blood movie tonight. Amphibious transformation is good in my book!

And then The Babysitter for some good 70's slasher vibes...at least thats how the artwork looks

I watched The Babysitter the other night. Nothing special, but it was entertaining enough. Did you watch it?

While sitting at your desk trying to work, do you ever get the feeling you're being watched:

Costello_wolfman_1.jpg

As long as I get to at least watch Pumkinhead I'm good as that's my favorite Halloween movie. Cabin in the Woods is my new(er) favorite, but also like so many of the others already listed.

Has anyone seen Mortal Remains? It just got distribution on the 13th but has been on some fests circuits since last year. I’ve heard good things about it and just ordered the DVD

My viewing so far...I try to go for a broad mix, and include plenty I haven't seen:
Bone Tomahawk
The Dark Half
Santa Sangre
Society
I Eat Your Skin
Pumpkinhead
Nekromantik
Aliens
Nudist Colony of the Dead
Pet Sematary
Kingdom of the Spiders
Pan's Labyrinth
Shivers
Chopping Mall
Slumber Party Massacre
Alien Covenant
Cult of Chucky
Rock n' Roll Nightmare
I Spit On Your Grave (1978)
Monster Madness: The Golden Age of Horror
Friday the13th VI
Nightmare on Elm Street IV
Halloween (2007)
Halloween 2 (2009)

Ok, numbers 25-29:
Trilogy of Terror
The Blood Spattered Bride
Microwave Massacre
Friday the 13 V (Just met "Jason" actor Tom Morga this weekend, had to watch it!)
Tusk (Shut up, I LOVE this movie lol)

Brides of Dracula. Solid Cushing as always, but Lee sorely is lacking--the guy playing the vampire is wimpy. The female vampire was good; nice balance of seductive and threatening. Still fun enough.

Watched The Babadook a few months ago (it's currently on Netflix). It doesn't exactly cover new ground but I thought it was pretty intense and well done. Gets the creepy "what's really going on here" vibe just right.

Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978). Just re-watched this a couple of years ago and it still packs a punch.

Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1956). It's been years since I've seen the original, feels like a good time to revisit it.

And because I've been feeling nostalgic lately, this weekend I'll be streaming Ray Harryhausen: Special Effects Titan, a documentary about the man who created some of the most memorable scary monster images of all time. It's on Amazon Prime but you can also stream it for like four bucks.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back