Ironman 3D Print Build...help a newbie!

mcdavies

Hi all...new to the site and blown away with what people are doing! Hoping you can help me...

I'm totally new to this and have decided to tackle an Ironman Mk46 Build using 3D printing. I have the files and all is going pretty good but have what I hope is a simple question. The hand is in two parts...pic attached. I know it sounds simple, but I'm having a heck of a time figuring out how to put them together so they can open and close when putting it on. I've tried straps, magnets, hinges...I can get it kinda working but I get the feeling I'm missing something. So...rather than reinvent the wheel...

i spent a couple hours going thru threads to try and find an answer. A few posts stating things like "use a magnet"...unfortunately, I need a bit more direction than that!

Can anyone suggest a solution? If you can post pics to show me, that would be awesome!

Thanks in advance and, again, this site is awesome!

Mark

IMG_0809.JPG

Hey pal,

For my first 3d printed Iron Man suit (mk43), I cut a very small section out to clear a small hinge on the outside of the hand and used rectangle earth magnets on the other side to keep it closed. Works just fine for me. Hope this helps. Best of luck on your build

-Tony

hand3.jpg

Thanks Tony...will give that a shot. I tried a prototype kinda like that but with smaller magnets...it wasn't staying closed. Seeing your suggestion, I think that will solve my problem!

You can try to use some elastic, but might now last in the long run. Also how did you scale the hand armor when you printed it?

I played around with elastic straps too. It works, but not a very elegant solution...I suppose I could just "get 'er done" but wasn't sure I'd be happy with that in the long run.

I just printed the hands using the existing scale. They are a pretty good fit once I have the glove on. To be truthful, I'm struggling a bit with the fingers...I can get them to fit pretty easily (had to reprint a few to make them a bit bigger) but bending them is awkward with the joint extensions (if you know what I mean). Considering cutting the extensions off to see what it looks like...

On my resin gloves, used a butt hinge on one side and then a small piece of plastic painted the same colour as the gloves with velcro to hold them together

I used the hinge and magnet technique on my own gloves. Try sourcing neodymium magnets with a decent contact patch and at least a couple of kilos of pull.

I found that using elastic along the inside of the two halves ended up being my resolve. I did do the hinge and neodymium magnet setup and it would pop open whenever I made a fist :(. Got tired of it; after last year I decided to give up a bit of cosmetic accuracy for a suit you can wear without worry of pieces popping off lol. The whole glove slips on; the halves stretch over then pull back together. There IS a visible seam on the side of the palm but hey...when your handing candy to a 5 year-old in an Iron Man suit trust me they don't care one bit lol. If someone has a more secure way to mount the magnet I'm all ears....and yes this place is awesome. Tons of good people and knowledge. I normally lurk but with such a good community I feel compelled to give back a bit. If it helps someone, awesome. Here's the glove:
1012170945.jpg1012170945a.jpg
The fingertips were rubber-cement bonded over latex Harbor Freight gloves. I forgot how strong the bond with rubber cement can be on the right materials. Hope that helps.

I found that using elastic along the inside of the two halves ended up being my resolve. I did do the hinge and neodymium magnet setup and it would pop open whenever I made a fist :(. Got tired of it; after last year I decided to give up a bit of cosmetic accuracy for a suit you can wear without worry of pieces popping off lol. The whole glove slips on; the halves stretch over then pull back together. There IS a visible seam on the side of the palm but hey...when your handing candy to a 5 year-old in an Iron Man suit trust me they don't care one bit lol. If someone has a more secure way to mount the magnet I'm all ears....and yes this place is awesome. Tons of good people and knowledge. I normally lurk but with such a good community I feel compelled to give back a bit. If it helps someone, awesome. Here's the glove:
View attachment 765477View attachment 765478
The fingertips were rubber-cement bonded over latex Harbor Freight gloves. I forgot how strong the bond with rubber cement can be on the right materials. Hope that helps.
Great looking mk46 gloves. Can you show details of the elastic closure please?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Have some miles on them. Nothing fancy...wide strap hot glued in place on both sides. Having given this some thought I may bond a new palm to a new glove and magnetize the top piece. Have the new hands printed just not the time.
1016172223a.jpg

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back