Darth Vader One Month Build (2018 Revision)

GoldenAvenger

Hello all!

I thought I'd share my current Darth Vader build I'm working on in time for Halloween this year. I did Chewie last year and it was a big hit, and while the Rubies suit is fairly impressive I wanted to step up my game and try and make my own Vader. I'm a student on a little bit of a budget - so sadly I can't get the ANOVOS Darth Vader, but I'm gonna try and come close.

My ultimate goal is to have a speaker in the helmet with lights for the control boxes, but that might have to be done after Halloween.

Project Plan:

-Helmet/Shoulders/Shins/Cod: I found some pepakura files to use. I've previously worked on Iron Man and some other parts so I felt comfortable with it. At the time I'm writing this I have the helmet completely assembled in paper, and will work on the shoulder, shins, and Cod pieces next. The Silhouette definitely helps speeding this up between the auto perforate and speed of cutting

-Capes, 60" bought from Amazon. I bought two for under $20 for both the inner tabard and outer cape.

-Leather bodysuit. I have a local seamstress helping me make this part. We put together a plan to use pleather and then some flannel like material to stuff it with to get the texture effect

-Boots, I wear size 15 so either the existing boots I have found are too small or they're insanely nice leather ones that cost several hundred. I found a $25 pair of steel toe rubber boots to wear. They're very plain but considering the shin armor fits over it, it's not much of a concern.

-Control & Belt boxes: For both the central box and the three on the belt I was originally going to try pepakura but the small detail won't be something I can accomplish. I found some 3D stl files for all three parts. I manually resized them a bit to be closer to the rough dimensions that have been semi-confirmed. I was able to get all four parts for $40 total and have some printed transparently to add lights. These files were great because it has an open back to easily add electronics.

-Gloves: found these on Amazon too. I have really large hands but found black leather gauntlets for about $15 that I think will work.

-Lightsaber: I already have the Back Series Vader lightsaber on hand, but I may pick up a cheap one at target to clip on the belt when I don't want the blade showing.

Outstanding items:

-I need to devise a strapping system for the center chest board. The 3D file already has slits built in so I think I'll use straps and buckles that I'll pick up
-I need to figure out lenses to use for the helmet. I'm sure there are threads here with solutions
-Lastly is finding a wide leather belt for the three boxes on the belt.

Helmet Photos
1.JPG2.JPG3.JPG4.JPG5.JPG
I will post more photos once parts start rolling in

Last edited:
Re: Darth Vader One Month Build

I'm excited to see how this turns out. I'll always have a soft spot for budget scratch builds. Best of luck!

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk

Honestly the Anovos is nice for a licensed piece but It still lacks a ton.

I wont even talk about the Rubies suit. Its total garbage.

If you want to look really nice, the best reference would be the fan made suits. That is the quality you should aim for if you want to steal the show.

Take a look at mine.

https://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=280927&highlight=darth+vader+costume

Although a months time is not enough to build a costume of that stature, but It still is better reference then the other 2 costumes for quality and accuracy. I have been building mine for 7 years as I want to get as close as I can to the ROTJ suit. Others people such as Jake Sloan(On YouTube) Studio 49 and Fett263(If I have the numbers right)...Etc...have super nice Vader's that rock. That should be your reference guide.

I understand that you are on a limited budget. Not everyone has the money to invest in a super nice vader. I would love to see what you come up with on your Vader with your time and budget. I always love to see another Vader build! I wish you good luck on your endeavor and make sure to post Halloween photos! I'm rocking my Vader this year at a Halloween party at the place I work at.

I'm excited to see how this turns out. I'll always have a soft spot for budget scratch builds. Best of luck!

I'll keep the updates rolling!

If you want to look really nice, the best reference would be the fan made suits. That is the quality you should aim for if you want to steal the show. Take a look at mine.

Yours is looking pretty killer, I've been lurking the forums to learn tips and tricks on how to best create the ensemble.

-I need to figure out lenses to use for the helmet. I'm sure there are threads here with solutions

Might be worth taking the helmet down to a CVS/gas station/Walmart, and seeing if any of the cheapy sunglasses they sell have lenses that are the level of tint you want, that will look good popped out of their frames (or cut down, in the case of "sports shades"), and glued to the backside of the eyes holes. I wouldn't use this plan for a long term build, but for a month long one where you'll either wear it a few times and then scrap it, or upgrade parts from year to year, it could do the trick nicely.

Small update:

I was trying to figure out how to get a sound system installed. I toyed with the idea of a voice modulator but I think that the original voice by James Earl Jones is pretty unbeatable. Amazon sells very small speakers (AmazonBasics miniature speaker) for $20 that are smaller than a hockey puck. It looks like they're getting ready to discontinue them because the only color available is red and there's 3 of them left. My plan is to velcro the speaker into the helmet and use a soundtrack to play sounds.

Another obstacle I'm having are lenses. My idea is to inflate a small balloon and press it up against the eye slot from the inside. The tutorial video showed using Play-Doh to protect the outer edges of the mask and use a product called "plastine". It appears to be a clay of sorts that hardens. After it hardens you remove the Play-Doh, and place a different type of baking clay against the "plastine" from inside the helmet. Bake it to harden, and then use an acrylic sheet to mold a lens from the mold. Finally, spray it with spray-tint I found at my local AutoZone. These are the theoretical instructions so I'll post my methodology when I do it.

- - - Updated - - -

Might be worth taking the helmet down to a CVS/gas station/Walmart, and seeing if any of the cheapy sunglasses they sell have lenses that are the level of tint you want, that will look good popped out of their frames (or cut down, in the case of "sports shades"), and glued to the backside of the eyes holes. I wouldn't use this plan for a long term build, but for a month long one where you'll either wear it a few times and then scrap it, or upgrade parts from year to year, it could do the trick nicely.

I think I'm definitely going to try that first. Might be a little tricky finding ones that follow the same general curvature and size but it's way easier than molding!

There are helmet makers and a few on ebay who offer Lenses. But since you're trying to tackle this in so little time it might be cost effective to make them. Although you still have to pay for the material. Im not sure which is cheaper. LOL

It would not be wise to stick any speakers inside the helmet. I would not want the breathing to be that close to my ears for hours at a time. I usually have them in the back of my belt. I want them under my chest box but I can not find any speakers that small.

I did think about the volume inside the helmet. I think if I surround the speaker in some light fabric I can dampen the noise and focus it outward.

I did think about the volume inside the helmet. I think if I surround the speaker in some light fabric I can dampen the noise and focus it outward.

That would not work. It would muffle the sound. It needs to be loud to give the presence of Vader entering the scene so everyone can hear it.

make a template of the lens holes on your pep helmet and go around optical shops for cheap pairs of sunglasses that would be the approximate size shape and color. that's what i did, hahaha, fortunately knock-off sunglassess here (Philippines) are everywhere and are dirt cheap. went thru about a dozen or so to get the one that fits ok.

and yep, speakers in your helmet aren't practical, you wont here the ambient sounds around you and i'm pretty sure speakers in proximity to your ears will bug the crap out of you after a while.

i feel you on the budget concerns, have a budget diy going on myself. haha

Amazon delivered today (thank you Prime). I'm pretty pleased with the boots and gloves. I know they don't exactly match the pieces on screen, but I think they come close.

IMG_2530.JPGIMG_2531.JPGIMG_2532.JPGIMG_2533.JPG

That would not work. It would muffle the sound. It needs to be loud to give the presence of Vader entering the scene so everyone can hear it.

and yep, speakers in your helmet aren't practical, you wont here the ambient sounds around you and i'm pretty sure speakers in proximity to your ears will bug the crap out of you after a while.

That's been a few of my concerns. I'm trying to think of a good place for the speaker to be. Ideally it should be up high so it gives the illusion of coming from the mask.

IMG_2535.JPG

It's something I'll play around with once I get the pep's done and resined.

Sorry about the rotated photos as well. They seem to prefer laying down

Attachments

• IMG_2534.jpg
    IMG_2534.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 129

I also finished the Cod piece last night, the ends are very mobile so I'll have to set them in place while hardening.

IMG_2536.jpg

if you could place the speakers underneath your armour without being too noticeable it will make the sound appear to be coming from the mouth/mask, i'd suggest to ditch the pepakura cod and just follow available diy foam cod tutorials, are those rubber rain boots? would have recommended rubber riding/equestrian boots instead.;)

I also finished the Cod piece last night, the ends are very mobile so I'll have to set them in place while hardening.

View attachment 763279

How much room is under there? Think the speaker would fit?

As far as I know, most folks cram speakers into the light bright on vader's chest, or in one of the various greeblies on his belt, and it still gives the same proper vader feel.

are those rubber rain boots? would have recommended rubber riding/equestrian boots instead.;)

They are! All I could find in a size 15, I’m guessing Bigfoot never rode horses.

How much room is under there? Think the speaker would fit?

As far as I know, most folks cram speakers into the light bright on vader's chest, or in one of the various greeblies on his belt, and it still gives the same proper vader feel.

Limited room under the cod, and I did like the chest box idea but my 3D print has little depth. The belt box may work so that’s a great idea

Shins are complete! Pl3laton3 and I used the same pep file and I had the same result as him. The shins are a tad uneven and wobbly, but I think it's easily correctable with tape and some paper stabilizers.

IMG_2540.JPG

3D parts also arrived today. I think they turned out excellent. Some parts may require a little bondo to smooth out but for the price and time saved it was definitely worth it.

IMG_2541.JPGIMG_2542.JPGIMG_2543.JPGIMG_2544.JPGIMG_2545.JPGIMG_2546.JPG

3D parts also arrived today. I think they turned out excellent. Some parts may require a little bondo to smooth out but for the price and time saved it was definitely worth it.

You
View attachment 763616View attachment 763617View attachment 763618View attachment 763619View attachment 763620View attachment 763621

Which version of Vader are you going for? The chest box is ANH based but the Buckle and belt boxes are wrong altogether for any version. But they will work for your limited build. Good luck.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back