Nice-N Gold Leader to Gold 3 (MOM) Y-Wing Conversion

Sorry Darth I wasn't trying to insinuate that you were wrong. I was just saying that the current version of the part has minut differences from the original. Not enough for me to care though. Thanks for the ID

No problem, but there are definately very slight differences in the parts, for example some block at each gun´s side right after where the thin gun barrels end. I always assumed the ILM guys had added some small part there but the instructions photo of the Tamiya 1/12 Honda VF750F does show this small block, so this is definately a better match than the CBR400F.

Oh, beautiful progress by the way! :)

I've begun painting and for the life of me cannot figure out the base color for these nacelle rings. Are they grey with brown weathering? Or are the brown? Depending on which nacelle I look at and at which angle I change my mind. Any ideas?
P1010082.JPGP6130327_JPG.jpg

Last edited:
Mike,
This is looking FANTASTIC! Great attention to detail, very impressive what you are doing with it!! Keep up the excellent work!

It looks kind of like the right one has yellow mixed in with (or under) the gray to make it appear brown.

While the left one looks gray. You’re right it’s confusing.

Thanks @darth_daniel! That was definitely the goal with this build. I did the best I could with the reference that I have. Big thank you and shout out to all involved on the Neisen team for creating a truly special model. I was amazed by it's accuracy. Since I didn't use much of the included Gold Leader kit parts, I ended up using Gold 3 specific parts along the side walls and where necessary and couldn't believe how well they fit, which says a lot to this birds accuracy. Thanks to all that contributed to making this a fairly accurate representation of Gold 3 and all that contacted me personally to help me along. Hopefully someone can use some of these photos as reference if they decide to recreate this special bird.
3X1A1110.jpg3X1A1125.jpg3X1A1144.jpg3X1A1148.jpg3X1A1164.jpg3X1A1139.jpg3X1A1154.jpg3X1A1131.jpg3X1A1126.jpg3X1A1135.jpg3X1A1113.jpg3X1A1169.jpg

3X1A1110.jpg

3X1A1125.jpg

3X1A1144.jpg

3X1A1148.jpg

3X1A1164.jpg

3X1A1126.jpg

3X1A1131.jpg

3X1A1139.jpg

3X1A1154.jpg

3X1A1113.jpg

3X1A1135.jpg

3X1A1169.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Man, did you nail that - and so darn fast too.

What colour did you end up using for the brownish grey bands on the engines? It looks spot-on perfect.

Man, did you nail that - and so darn fast too.

What colour did you end up using for the brownish grey bands on the engines? It looks spot-on perfect.
Thanks Keiko! The build was pretty simple. I pretty much had all the pieces between the kit and sourced kit parts from my previous Y. So the time consuming portion of this build was mainly research and gathering information. Once I figured out the configuration of the parts were very similar to the Ladd Y, I then had nice hi-res photos to use. However there are subtle differences.

As far as the nacelle bands I'm still not sure which was painted first on the model, the grays or browns. I went with the gray first on mine and after doing some test sprays actually ended up going with a rusty brown color I mixed on top of the gray. As you can see in this photo, it wasn't applied evenly on the original, just kind of randomly.
Nacelle Bands.jpg

Wow, this looks great! What a beauty!
Is it still possible to buy a Nicen Y-Wing and how much does it cost? Many thanks and best regards, Mark

Wow, this looks great! What a beauty!
Is it still possible to buy a Nicen Y-Wing and how much does it cost? Many thanks and best regards, Mark
Thanks! I don't know if it's still available or not. You can try contacting Steve on his Nice-N Facebook page or contacting Mike Salzo.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back