Blade Runner and Officer K's Blaster Project

Quills

Hello! I have been lurking on The RPF and been meaning to join the community for years. The new Blade Runner film has provided a good opportunity. I originally saw Blade Runner when it was released in 1982. I was a kid at the time. As I got older I developed a deeper appreciation of the depth of the film and it became one of my favorite movies. Over the last 30 years I would say I flirted with obsession on and off. I enjoyed Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep but for me it was one of those unusual situations where I liked the film more than its source material. I appreciate all the versions of the film for what they are from the theatrical release to the Final Cut version. Like the rest of us, I have been obsessed with props from many films including this one. At various times I have been focused on the spinners, the viewer in Deckard's apartment, the Voight Kampff device and, of course, Deckard's blaster. I would watch the film every year or two, make some sketches and move on. Eventually I came across Adam Savage's Tested videos describing his obsession with the Blade Runner blaster as well as Bill Doran's space gun projects. This resulted in a two year odyssey which saw me research and build my own version of the PKD blaster. I was attracted to the idea of trying to recreate a prop as one would, before the Age of The Interwebs, with limited information and poor-quality VHS screen shots. While it is not the same thing, I did see the opportunity of a similar experience present itself with the new Blade Runner movie and the new blasters. I have been working on Officer K's blaster in Fusion 360 and considering 3D printing it. I have also been looking at the Blade Runner influenced gun from the Death Note film as a future project.

BLADE RUNNER 2049 v13.png2049 PARTS v3.png

It looks ... awesome !!! [emoji6]
First I was not very convinced of the new blaster design , but seeing those great renderings... I WANT IT ![emoji51]

I've been busy working on K's blaster. Blade Runner 2049 comes out tomorrow and I wanted to have at least one version done before the movie release.

I printed out the first version to test dimensions and overall feel. The silver on the back is testing the Molotow Liquid Chrome which is actually fairly amazing. Unlike Alclad metalizing lacquers it does not fall off the piece in a slight breeze or if you look at it for too long.
View attachment 763960
Beyond the little bit of chrome and sticking together the various pieces no post-processing work has been done. I was not too happy with the grip so I remodeled that piece. I also made the next version 2% larger. As of yet, I don't know the dimensions of the actual prop.
View attachment 763961 View attachment 763962
I wish I had gotten more pictures during the finishing process. I have not quite decided how to get the carbon fiber pattern on the grip. I have some carbon fiber pattern vinyl which may work. Other options I thought about include making a sort of rubber stamp of the pattern or just painting each little square individually. If anyone has any other suggestions I'd love to hear it. If we get better images of the prop I'll modify the model, possibly make some working internals.

That looks really nice! I've been working no mine too! :) Quite a challenge with limited resources and references.

Last edited:
Saw the movie over the weekend. I thought it was great. It's too bad it didn't get better box office returns in its opening weeks. I did notice the gun props for the original PDK and K's gun had some good shots in the film. I was barely able to catch a view of Luv's blaster. I've been trying to figure out a carbon fiber solution for the grip. Carbon fiber patterned vinyl and a heat gun has showed some promise. I'll post a picture if it works out. Hydro dipping would work but I don't have access to materials. I have also been working on a 3D model of Luv's gun. There does not seem to be many images of it. Is anyone else working on one?

LUVs GUN v20.png

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back