Customized Revell TLJ A-Wing FINISHED

Dobber

This is my Revell TLJ A-Wing. I'm painting it in the spirit of the McQuarrie concept art A-Wing. I decided to leave the lights in as I think they look good. Still need to give it a good weathering. Mods I made are:

1) removed and covered the landing gear
2) filled in the voids on the underside of the blasters
3) drilled out the blaster tips
4) added styrene to the middle tubes to giv them a nice rounded inner surface
5) full repaint

I think it is a nice kit, with some good detailing, that will fit pretty well with other 1/48 subjects. Though, it is a shame that Revell didn't just make it 1/48 instead of the ridiculous 1/44. I plane on picking up the Red version when it is released. I think I actually like the more slender look to the new A-Wing to the earlier chunky RotJ and Rebels A-Wing variants.

Chris

euCpnGw.jpg

ldSVrj4.jpg

HnYuvcF.jpg

6lcqryT.jpg

Wgabc0L.jpg

1kIr59X.jpg

usdKZWF.jpg

36aefx3.jpg

Last edited:
Re: Customized Revell TLJ A-Wing WIP

Looks good--I agree, this is a nice little kit and the lighting effect is quite nice. I'd like to do a version with chunkier engines but otherwise it's a keeper.

It sure is a decent kit.

Shame on Revell though for having voids on the bottom of pieces like the gun, but overall it's pretty good. It's definitely on my wish list

You did a nice job fixing some of the major flaws and I like the McQuarrie scheme on it. Looking forward to seeing it with some weathering

"Convert" it to 1/48 scale & make it a two seater 'bomber' version... heh-heh!
Regards, Robert

Nice work Dobber. The thing holding me back from getting the kit is the width of the panel lines. I'd have to fill, sand, and re-scribe or use a mechanical pencil -- and I'm not sure I want to put the effort into it if Bandai might put out a more accurate kit. If by this time next year Bandai still hasn't done it, then I'm in.

Dude,
This looks fantastic! I have this one too, its a really nice model. might I suggest giving the canopy glass a coat or two of Future? I did it on mine, and it really cleared upe glass, and makes it easier to see the cockpit. I think I'm gonna use yours as a guide to the paint scheme, much better than the pattern currently on it! Thanks for sharing:)

Thanks guys! Good tip on the Future for the canopy. I've used it for my aircraft kits, don't know why I didn't think about here. :)

I wish I could update the thread title to take out the WIP.

Chris

Very nice work on the paint! I have been pondering doing something similar, although I plan to do a bit of cutting to re-position certain elements to more closely match the RM concept.

As for the scale, yes it is oddball, but it does make for a the perfect wingman to go with the old MPC 1/43 X-Wing kit.

I took the pilot out and checked to see if it would fit in the REVELL Level 2 T-70 from TFA and the pilot was WAY too big. It really looks to be almost 1/32. Just a little smaller...maybe 1/38ish? If I had an old X-wing kit I'd check for you but unfortunately I don't. :(

Chris

Turned out really good.
As for re-editing the title, click "edit" on the first post, then scroll down and hit edit again and it should come up to changed the title. I've never actually done it, but I've clicked it twice and it does come up to retype it.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back