Iron Man Mark 43 3D Print Project

MaxPower

Hi, first i have to say sorry if my english is not good enough, I'm from Chile, so my main language is Spanish. I've been following this forum since 4-5 years ago and i fell in love with all the awesome work the people do here, so in some way this project (one of my dreams that i have since i was 12 years old) is thanks to all of you.

As i mentioned before, i've been following this forum long time ago, i've seen so many techniques that i tried to start this project. My first attempt was with Pepakura, but i could't been able to do it, i finished the helmet, but in that time i wasn't able to use/find the other materials to harden the helmet and detailed it, no one in my family knew something that could help me.

Then i tried with EVA Foam, but finding that material in my country was a sort of a hell, but finally i found it in Camping Mat, so i started working on the Mark 42/43 chest, but i wasnt happy with the result (i'm very demanding with the finish and realism of the suit, maybe because seeing all of your projects that inspire me to do it), so finally i deduce that my only chance to make my project come to reality was 3D Printing, but in that time (a year ago) i didn't have the money to pay a 3D printer.

Finally this year (like a month ago) i was able to buy a 3d Printer, and since then i started working on the suit. I bought an Anet A8 (A replica of a Prusa i3), with a build volume of 220 x 220 x 240 mm., but i didn't notice that to find the 3D Files for the suits i wanted is too hard to find, i was thinking in building the Mark 43 or the Mark 46, so i started searching and i found more information about the mark 42/43 than the 46, so i decided that i will make the 43.

I started searching the palm STL files, it wasn't easy, but finally i found a file that i loved (I don't remember whose STL files are these, but as soon as posible i remember i'll give credits) and then i saw the Abb eliten's thread of his Mark 42 build and i was amazed with the results he is achieving (sorry, i don'd know how to mention other people :c), so i started printing his fingers files (so, all credits are to him). Obviously i had to scale the models, i've to say something important, and that is that my height is 1,57 meters, i'm pretty short, so i know that i have to scale the entire suit to fit me but make it look proportional (that's another reason why i'm going to the gym, 4-5 days a week). And i also printed an arc reactor that is on Thingiverse and reprint the palm because it was too small. Here some pics:

IMG-20170826-WA0004.jpgIMG-20170901-WA0005.jpegIMG-20170830-WA0009.jpg

After that i saw that Abb eliten used filler, primer and sand paper to achieve that so smooth look, but i wasn't able to find filler here in my country (there is always something that isn't in my country :c), so i had to find another way, and basically the process i use was:

-Sanding with a hard sand paper (150)
-Fill holes and details with automotive plastic putty.
-Sanding with a medium sand paper (280)
-Sanding with a soft sand paper (500 or 800)
-Aplly Automotive Primer (2 coats, and wait until the next day)
-Sanding some imperfections.
-Paint.
-Apply automotive varnish.(and finally wait until the next day)

IMG-20170906-WA0004.jpgIMG-20170906-WA0002.jpgIMG-20170911-WA0001.jpgIMG-20170911-WA0000.jpgIMG-20170907-WA0025.jpgnueva.png

Then i'm planning to polish it and then add the electronics, but actually i'm in panting process of the forearm.
I forgot to mention that i printed the faceplate in 2 parts and put it together with some class of metal grating that i heated with a blowtorch and put it between the 2 parts.

The color that i choose to paint the suit are the colors that the Sideshow Mark 43 Legendary Scale have, i bought the paint in an automotive painting shop, they made the colors.

Again sorry for the bad english and ask you if you know some way to find the STL files, or if you recomend me some 3d modeling software that i can use (i don't know 3d modeling, but i want to learn). I remember that i saw a thread were someone used the Mark 42 pepakura files and transformed it into an obj file, modified it to remove the unwanted edges and faces and then transform it into stl, but is pretty hard to turn it into a smooth model, so i prefer to model it than to modify the pepakura file.

So i'll put some pics of what i have now (the other parts are drying), and then i'll post any update of my suit, but after i finished printing the helmet and the arms i'll be stuck until i learn how to 3d modeling.
20170915_184145.jpg20170920_184858.jpg20170920_184855.jpg20170922_004445.jpg20170922_004339.jpg20170922_004127.jpg
Pleas let me know what you think about what i've got for now, thanks to all, and greetings from Chile.

Awesome progress so far! I'm hoping to start getting into 3D printing armor pieces soon myself.
Thanks, i've got to say that starting 3d printing is practicing and learning from the mistakes, but at the point that you know how your printer works all the rest turn easier [emoji6]

Enviado desde mi LG-K430 mediante Tapatalk

Looks fantastic! I think you can find files for Mark 43 on do3d.com. Great and ambitious project! Good luck!
Thanks for the recommendation elilay, but I have 2 problems about Do3d, first is that at least as I know is too expensive, and second is that I saw the model and I didn't like it, so i'm looking for some other options

I am also in the process of 3D printing a set of Mark 43 armor. I have looked high and low and have not found suitable printing models of anything except the arms and helmet. There is one set of files on Thingiverse for the chest and back. They are ok but that is about it for printable free models. If you find any let me know, and good luck!

Yeah that's true I mean price of whole armors might be big, You can also open some pepacura files in some 3d modeling program and make them smooth and printable. It's good way to improve your 3d modeling skills
Thanks for the recommendation elilay, but I have 2 problems about Do3d, first is that at least as I know is too expensive, and second is that I saw the model and I didn't like it, so i'm looking for some other options

Yes, the files on Thingiverse are the files that @bluedynno edited from pepakura, but if you look, it still have that "low poly look", so i decided that as i spent too much time trying to find files for my suit, if i make decent files, or if you request for my files (made by me) i'll post my files without problems.
chest.png
In fact, it would be awesome if all the interested in making the mark 42/43 3d printed would team up so we can work on the suit. I'll try to ask @Abb eliten for help in which 3d modeling software i can use, but i readed that he used Maya and 3ds Max.

Last edited:
Great work so far!
Thanks for the compliments and happy to hear my pieces came in useful :)

I did have the shoulder bell made once, but they got lost somehow when I got my new computer.
Still have some old harddrives lying around which might have them but I haven't had the time to really look :/

The software I use is a combination of Autodesk Alias which is a surface modeling software and Catia/Solidworks
As these are commercial licenses from my work I can't really recommend them for a "hobbyist" user since they are preetty expensive

One alternative if you don't want to go the polygon modeling route is the Fusion 360 from Autodesk
From what I understand it's a slimmed down version of surface and solid modeling software that is free to use as long as you're a hobby user.
I haven't used the software myself but it looks really nice.
One benefit of going with CAD/Surface modeling is you get the smoothing for "free" as there isn't any faceting in the surfaces that needs subdividing.

Abb eliten is here, OH MY GOOOD :O
Really thanks for the advice, I want to say thank you for all your amazing work with the files and your thread. Do you plan continue modeling the other pieces of the suit? 'Cause I have to start from nothing, but I'll make my best try to make it myself.

Last edited by a moderator:
No problem
I don't have any plans on continuing on this in the forseeable future
I'm having trouble finfishing my current project so I don't see this getting any work before that, sadly

But if I have time I might be able to help you out on some minor stuff, wont promise anything though

@Abb eliten is here, OH MY GOOOD :O
Really thanks for the advice, I want to say thank you for all your amazing work with the files and your thread. Do you plan continue modeling the other pieces of the suit? 'Cause I have to start from nothing, but I'll make my best try to make it myself.

Last edited:
I love your work so much! I'm printing the arm piece for Halloween and am very excited to show it off. There is only one problem...the files I found online are missing the elbow piece. I decided that the only place I could find this file is the creator so I came here. The file for the elbow piece that you posted on this forum is no longer available and I was wondering if there is any way that you can the file to me. This will be the highlight of my year! Thank you so much!

-Jack

I love your work so much! I'm printing the arm piece for Halloween and am very excited to show it off. There is only one problem...the files I found online are missing the elbow piece. I decided that the only place I could find this file is the creator so I came here. The file for the elbow piece that you posted on this forum is no longer available and I was wondering if there is any way that you can the file to me. This will be the highlight of my year! Thank you so much!

-Jack
The original creator has not been on since May and has said that he is not revisiting any of his Iron Man work. I had to go to DO3D.com to get the rest of the Mark 42/43 suit. Good luck!

The original creator has not been on since May and has said that he is not revisiting any of his Iron Man work. I had to go to DO3D.com to get the rest of the Mark 42/43 suit. Good luck!
Does anybody have the original elbow piece for the arm? I don't expect him to come back to the iron man project I was just wondering if he could post the models. Thanks!

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back