Mel Brooks warns about the death of comedy

Mel's right. Seinfeld and other big stand-up comedians have completely given up doing the college campuses, because of the rampant hyper-sensitive PC liberal booing and hissing and silence they get from the students.

Btw, I was on a first date with a girl the other day, and in the course of conversation I mentioned my favorite restaurant, and asked her, "Do ya know it?". With no hesitation, she answered, "I dunno, can you hum a few bars?". I was momentarily stunned, and said, "Hey! I know that line. That's from...". She said, "A Mel Brooks movie. Blazing Saddles, I think.". I immediately fell in love with her. Lol Not really, but I thought it was damn cool for this PYT to deliver a classic quote like that so perfectly. But hey, the reason I brought it up, is because I'm wondering who said it? It's been so long since I've seen Blazing Saddles, but it sounds like something Hedley Lamarr would say. I could be wrong. And it's possible she's wrong, and it's from another one of Mel's films. Does anyone know?

The Wook

That joke or variations of it has been in a lot of movies, old Vaudeville, Borsch-belt joke,

I will look for it next time I watch it

Great she has seen Blazing though now get her to watch his other classics and report back here Monday please! ;)

Mel's right. Seinfeld and other big stand-up comedians have completely given up doing the college campuses, because of the rampant hyper-sensitive PC liberal booing and hissing and silence they get from the students.

Btw, I was on a first date with a girl the other day, and in the course of conversation I mentioned my favorite restaurant, and asked her, "Do ya know it?". With no hesitation, she answered, "I dunno, can you hum a few bars?". I was momentarily stunned, and said, "Hey! I know that line. That's from...". She said, "A Mel Brooks movie. Blazing Saddles, I think.". I immediately fell in love with her. Lol Not really, but I thought it was damn cool for this PYT to deliver a classic quote like that so perfectly. But hey, the reason I brought it up, is because I'm wondering who said it? It's been so long since I've seen Blazing Saddles, but it sounds like something Hedley Lamarr would say. I could be wrong. And it's possible she's wrong, and it's from another one of Mel's films. Does anyone know?

The Wook

Man you would have been home free if she quoted that line Slim Pickens gave to Headley when he was in the bath tub! :lol

The sad thing is, people pounce on anything at all with an accusation of some wrong-doing without even considering whether someone has actually done something wrong.

Case in point:

You can't even say that a Chinese kid is a Chinese kid anymore!

Last edited by a moderator:
Sooo...this isn't "political?"

giphy.gif

The Wook

She's probably right about it being in a Brooks movie but my first thought was Hawkeye in MASH. Turns out it was Henry Blake (episode, Abyssina, Henry):

Radar: Colonel, do you know what I found in the morning's mail?

Henry: Now, that's a tough one. Hum a few bars, won't you, Radar?

Sooo...this isn't "political?"
Only in the kind of utterly damaged society in which politics are inescapably woven into the day to day fabric of every minute social interaction, dictating every nuance of our interpersonal relations.

- - - Updated - - -

Neither could 'Married With Children'.
One "fat woman walked into the shoe store" joke and all heck would break loose :lol

God I miss the 80s.

Only in the kind of utterly damaged society in which politics are inescapably woven into the day to day fabric of every minute social interaction, dictating every nuance of our interpersonal relations.

You are so dead-on with this sentence. I'm exhausted from the world being created now. So tired of it. You've written it about as succinctly as I've seen it done.

Louis CK, Bill Burr, Joe Rogan, and Doug Stanhope all have audiences, so I don't think we need to sound the death knell yet. I think certain venues and audiences are no longer receptive to comedy, but there are still plenty of outlets for subversive or irreverent humor.

Comedy is definitely not as EASY as it may have been back in the day for Mel Brooks but plenty of comics are doing fine and not getting blasted. People that complain about "Politics in daily lives/comedy/media" typically have just not to deal with it like minorities and etc have.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back