Mel Brooks warns about the death of comedy

Brooks has been killing his own comedy for a long time. Spaceballs was certainly no Blazing Saddles nor was Men In Tights any Young Frankenstein....
I'd go even further, Blazing Saddles is no Producers, and Young Frankenstein...Can't be touched. It's a level of writing, acting and timing in comedy I've never seen before or since.
Gene Wilder had quite a bit to do with the lasting quality of both films.

that's why he thinks Men In Tights is funny...but then a Seth Macfarlane Spaceballs isn't genuinely funny either...in my opinion of course. apparently we need more early seventies Gene Wilders. Yukka yukka, take my wife...please! just flew in. boy, are my arms tired!

Last edited:
Don't worry. Everything moves in circles. Comedy - real comedy - will come back We are just in the prude phase. We've seen those before... and we'll see them again in the future.

oh there's plenty of politically incorrect "comedy" out there. it's just not that well done a lot of the time i think. too far "shock jock" style gets a bit taxing after awhile and merely inserting pop culture references instead of actual gags turned me into a humorless stick in the mud because i was too fatigued to guffaw at something i found only mildly amusing at best.

I hate the world these days. Mel is completely right.

- - - Updated - - -

oh there's plenty of politically incorrect "comedy" out there. it's just not that well done a lot of the time i think. too far "shock jock" style gets a bit taxing after awhile and merely inserting pop culture references instead of actual gags turned me into a humorless stick in the mud because i was too fatigued to guffaw at something i found only mildly amusing at best.

Yeah, all the "Politically incorrect" comedy is the crap "shock comedy", ie, no wit or actual comedy to it and is purely trying to be offensive. It really is the death of comedy.

Try watching an amy schumer show, just plain aweful.

ezgif-4-d9f4387d29.gif

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back