Spacebobs Marvels

spacebob

Sr Member
Edit, fixed the pics 2019
Hi there... first thread in Marvel land (yay)
I'm normally to be found in a Star Wars bubble with 1:1 Droids really being my main thing, but these Iron Man helmets are too good not to get into :)
@itsgreg posted a thread with a quick paint up of his Legends series lid and I thought it was awesome and right up my weathering alley, so here goes mine...

Ironweb-_4.jpg

Ironweb16.jpg

These are so great for the money, insane.

Ironweb-_1214.jpg

Ironweb-_137.jpg

Ironweb-_224.jpg

really easy to weather as its already pained.. crazy.

Ironweb-_77.jpg

I love it :)

Last edited:
Hi there... first thread in Marvel land (yay)
I'm normally to be found in a Star Wars bubble with 1:1 Droids really being my main thing, but these Iron Man helmets are too good not to get into :)
@itsgreg posted a thread with a quick paint up of his Legends series lid and I thought it was awsome and right up my weathering alley, so here goe mine...

https://s19.postimg.org/vvawv74xv/Ironweb-_4.jpg

https://s19.postimg.org/fj0v5gqmb/Ironweb16.jpg

These are so great for the money, insane.

https://s19.postimg.org/nv17kgddv/Ironweb-_114.jpg

https://s19.postimg.org/tgnmoie2r/Ironweb-_137.jpg

https://s19.postimg.org/thxkhxfwj/Ironweb-_224.jpg

really easy to weather as its already pained.. crazy.

https://s19.postimg.org/z3jzlzglf/Ironweb-_77.jpg

I love it :)
Looks great!

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks guys, I love to scratch build and some of my projects can take months or years so when it only takes a few hours it's a gift really.

I'd post how it was achieved but itsgreg covered it so well in his thread theres no need, both how this was done and exactly how I would have done it if painting from an unprimed state. Check it out :)
The only difference is that I drilled in the extra bolt head on the jaw and the level of weathering, I didn't go so battle damaged as his.
The front of the faceplate unscrews from its housing making painting it a lot easier especially the "mascara" around the eyes.
Although I did have to grind down an old screwdriver to a triangle to remove the special screws.

If you are on the fence about buying one of these, if you have a few quid around just buy it, you won't be disappointed. I just keep pulling the faceplate of to hear the sounds and putting it back on so the eyes light up again. They then stay on for about 5 mins so the battery is going to last ages.

I got my GF to order another for me for Christmas so in January there will be a more customised (read inaccurate) take on war machine coming your way....

Thanks guys, I love to scratch build and some of my projects can take months or years so when it only takes a few hours it's a gift really.

I'd post how it was achieved but @itsgreg covered it so well in his thread theres no need, both how this was done and exactly how I would have done it if painting from an unprimed state. Check it out :)
The only difference is that I drilled in the extra bolt head on the jaw and the level of weathering, I didn't go so battle damaged as his.
The front of the faceplate unscrews from its housing making painting it a lot easier especially the "mascara" around the eyes.
Although I did have to grind down an old screwdriver to a triangle to remove the special screws.

If you are on the fence about buying one of these, if you have a few quid around just buy it, you won't be disappointed. I just keep pulling the faceplate of to hear the sounds and putting it back on so the eyes light up again. They then stay on for about 5 mins so the battery is going to last ages.

I got my GF to order another for me for Christmas so in January there will be a more customised (read inaccurate) take on war machine coming your way....
I was wondering about that bolt!
I nearly painted mine like war machine, still might do one.
Totally agree on how good these things are & I'm looking forward to what hasbro brings out next!

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

There's a reveal Vader helmet coming out next I think, looks interesting :) I'm praying for a biker scout after that....... Biker scout, biker scout, biker scout.

Has anyone seen any comparison photos regarding scale on this lid? it seems big on me and I'm pretty much 6 foot.
Not that it really matters, I'll never have a whole suit and will prob never wear it for any other reason than showing someone that it is wearable, just curious.

I cant find anything in google?

Great job!..

Mine seems big on me too.. (and not 6' tall!) LOL

I still havent had much time (or motivation) to look at making it motorized.

Anyone give that a go yet? (I felt the magnets would be the first thing to tackle.. get rid of)

Happy New Year peoples :)

I got another of these fantastic lids for christmas and as promised it's got war machine Iron patriot business in its future.

But before I get started here's just a couple of very quick comp pics to show the difference tween untouched, and weathered masks.

webim25.jpg

It's actually a shame I won't even have a clean one but hey ho that's not really my thing.

webim20.jpg

Not sure when I'm actually going to get started, I've got a couple of other things on the go as well.

It won't be true to any one screen used helmet, more of a mashup of war machines first lid and iron patriot colours, mainly because I prefer the round "ears" on the earlier mask but the colours on the later.

Last edited:
Ok, I do have a few days pics to post...
I keep forgetting

webwm65.jpg

Here is the pre filler former for the more defined cheek on the iron patriot design.

webwm64.jpg

And the comp with the unmodified (albeit weathered) faceplate.

I filled out the bit between the eyes and cut either side of the eyes too...

webwm82.jpg

and with a couple more bits just sat in place.
The piece for the crown was heated and formed over the back of the helmet and left to cool before cutting.

It will be cut quite a bit more though before i'm done :)

Last edited:
webwm91.jpg

Just a couple of progress pics...

webwm93.jpg

Loving the primer stage. Now onto the sides of the helmet which will be based on the first war machine helmet :)

Last edited:
Couple more pics

webwm05.jpg

Dry fitting the next bits...

webwm10.jpg

As I'm sticking this on with the car filler I'm overdoing the keying in the base helmet :)

Last edited:
Had a good weekend on this :)
which is always good because the makers/modifiers of you out there will know when you think something will take an hour it actually takes three...

webwm21.jpg

pic with the sides stuck and filled and now..........

A huge turning point as this goes from being just another one of my projects, to something I will finish soon.

webwm33.jpg

I think it's going to work well as a mix of war machines first and second helmets so this is the mark 1.5 i guess, and all the electrics should still work.
Still lots of little changes to make as I'm just making it up and things evolve :) I'm pleased so far.

Last edited:
Ok meant to update yesterday but nevermind.

webwm636.jpg

Couple more bits done here.

webwm354.jpg

the last of them before painting starts :)

Last edited:
Now I did mean to take pics of the masking but been too busy dodging raindrops and painting.

webwm75.jpg

and the first round of underpainting is sweet as is, misting grey over blue over grey... and true red over primer red over true red,,,

webwm768.jpg

Now the War Machine lives :)

Last edited:
Ok finished this last weekend but just didn't have the weather to take pics...

webwm6311.jpg

webwm470.jpg

webwm299.jpg

webwm321.jpg

It's hard to take decent pics when there is metallic silver or gold involved, direct sunlight doesn't really help at all...
webwm305.jpg

Still not sure if I should add the lines on the face but that would make it too like the mk 2 maybe?

I love it and the electrics still work :)

Last edited:
This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back