Silicone mold question

secunda

Hi,

I'm about to make silicone a mold from my sculpt. However I have troubles in making silicone mold (Rebound 25) from my sculpture (Chavant NSP) and I basically can't proceed any further at the moment.

IMG_5213.JPG

Silicone works like a charm, no issues with that. The problem is the hair/braids, see picture below.

IMG_5200.JPG

Luckily I tested just small portion of the braids first. Silicone is getting literally into all cavities and underneath the braids and so when I'm trying to get mold off braids come along and silicone mold is looking just crazy, see picture below.

IMG_5220.JPG

So my question is: any ideas how to get clean mold and little as possible damage the original sculpture?

At the moment I don't use any mold releases, just thinking if spraying some would help a little?

One option I'm thinking would be to thicken already the first coat of Rebound 25 for the braids so that it would not get to all holes.

Also, If there would be some material that i could apply on top of the braids and then rub almost all off, so that the material would get off from top of the surface but would stay into cavities (sort of like dry brushing) and underneath braids so that silicone then wouldn't. Any ideas for such a material?

Thank you very much,
Sami

The mold DESTROYS the sculpt. Sorry, but true. once the sculpt is buried in RTV, the clay will be pulled apart and the braids will stay inside the RTV, and you will dig them out. Everything from the sculpt will be gone, so make sure you get the mold right on the first try!

You can brush some molten clay into the cavities then rework it a little bit. As of this moment those braids are unmoldable, there cannot be such deep and thin slots in the sculpt.

Definitely need to remove as many of the undercuts as possible. Fill the spaces between the braids, so they are connected and closed, but try to make the "wall" looking organic rather than flat. When painted you won't be able to see those walls between the braids anyway, if you paint things with low light and high light in mind and do dark washes.

The bust is fantastic. Very well done and those braids look like a nightmare to sculpt.

Many thanks to all for great tips!

my only concern at the moment is that which material can I use to fill the cavities? Molten clay was something that came up to my mind at first but Im afraid that Ill mess up the fine details on top of the braids surface if I try to fill the cavities... Im thinking to use vaseline but I dont know how it will react with silicone and how Ill clean up the vaseline after molding phase so that I could use the NSP plastelina again for other project.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back