TFA vintage graflex: modify vintage glass eye or buy a replica?

Jedisushi

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
See subject.

I'm torn! Not sure what use I'd have for an orphan vintage glass eye (if I buy a TFA replica), but at the same time I'd hate to modify a vintage piece like that (also not sure if I have the tools/capability, to be honest).

I suppose the third option is to leave it be and try to suppress the OCD. I guess I'm conflicted about removing a perfectly good vintage part from such an expensive piece.

Thoughts/advice?

I would go all in and grind it down like the TFA prop makers did, or commission someone to do it for you if you’re nervous about doing it yourself.

I would go all in and grind it down like the TFA prop makers did, or commission someone to do it for you if you’re nervous about doing it yourself.

I suppose that makes sense in the end! No guts no glory.

If anyone is willing to do the work or has a vintage glass eye that's already been modified for sale, I'm all ears. I'll also post in WTB.

If you've got a TFA vintage glass eye ready for sale, I'd also be willing to trade my unmodified vintage glass eye.

Thnaks,
Michael

Last edited:
I suppose that makes sense in the end! No guts no glory.

If anyone is willing to do the work or has a vintage glass eye that's already been modified for sale, I'm all ears. I'll also post in WTB.

If you've got a TFA vintage glass eye ready for sale, I'd also be willing to trade my unmodified vintage glass eye.

Thnaks,
Michael

Hey Michael,

I remember talking about this a while ago. Someone on Etsy was selling replica glass eyes that were turned already. I think that's a better option. You can keep your vintage one and just screw in the new one when you like. That way you can make any variant.

Please don't do this to a vintage glass eye. Sell it on here or on Ebay and you'll have more than enough money to buy a replica to grind down. Or keep it in case you decide to go ANH at some point with your Graflex.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back