Brand new feature in Wired on 2049

Jedisushi

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
https://www.wired.com/2017/09/behind-the-scenes-blade-runner-2049-sequel/

Interesting nugget regarding Deckard's blaster:

"For 2049, Harlocker and his team fashioned an exact replica of the iconic original. They tracked down the blaster’s owner, a collector who’d snagged it at auction. He flew the sidearm to LA, where they meticulously photographed and measured every inch. They reverse-engineered three identical copies, using parts from the same revolver and rifle vintages as the original, then distressed them to look timeworn. “We went to incredible lengths to make sure what we put in Harrison Ford’s hand was something he recognized.”

So... NOT a Tomenosuke after all? Hmm...

Based on that article, which is not all that well written in regard to the props, I would say they could have still used tomensuke blasters. It's my understanding ISS did the firing blasters, and they may well have used them for parts.

For K's blaster description, it says Deckard's blaster is a double barrel, which it obviously is not.

Maybe what they mean is that they used a tomenosuke and used the actual blaster as reference to replicate the weathering? still seems a bit over-the-top to get the real blaster when there are so many pictures available of every angle.
I don't know if the picture they are using in the article is the actual new blaster but it looks to me like a tomenosuke blaster not even very well finished, you can see all the molding circles that were not removed from the bulldog frame and that I believe were painted over. :(
https://www.wired.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/blade_gallery8-1.jpg

I said exactly that on December 22nd last year and no-one took a blind bit of notice.
I believe the Tomens were the stunt/backup props.

Strange that the studio visited Dan Lanigan to study the original hero prop if they were just going to buy Tomens.
Also, that must mean the guy who says he saw three scratch-built Bulldog/Mannlicher-based pistols is wrong.

View attachment 692219

Last edited by a moderator:
For K's blaster description, it says Deckard's blaster is a double barrel, which it obviously is not.

I mean, the profile of the barrel shows two cylindrical items stacked on top of one another, and the muzzle has two visible circles...To the average person looking at it, I'd say it definitely "reads" as double-barrel.

That picture is a Tomen, though. You can tell by how the trigger guard attaches, and the mold lines of the Steyr magazine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I mean, the profile of the barrel shows two cylindrical items stacked on top of one another, and the muzzle has two visible circles...To the average person looking at it, I'd say it definitely "reads" as double-barrel.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on that count. But, these are not average people. These are prop makers who supposedly "studied" Deckard's gun.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on that count. But, these are not average people. These are prop makers who supposedly "studied" Deckard's gun.

You never know what sins an editor has (unknowingly) committed when revising a writer's piece in the name of "clarity". Worth remembering they have to describe the gun to the lowest common denominator.

I know from talking to Dan that they (as is stated here) came and documented his original blaster meticulously. Dan said there was also brief discussion about using his for 2049 but it was quickly shut down because his prop could never be replaced if something happened to it.

Its also been reported before that a number of blasters were made based on the research done on the original blaster and that the Tomen's were also used so the comment userd1402 and Brad Yeun made back in October would appear to be correct...

Last edited by a moderator:
Liberated some pics.

Attachments

• blade_gallery4.jpg
    blade_gallery4.jpg
    163.5 KB · Views: 121
  • blade_gallery3.jpg
    blade_gallery3.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 140
  • blade_gallery2.jpg
    blade_gallery2.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 140
  • blade_gallery8.jpg
    blade_gallery8.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 136
  • blade_gallery9.jpg
    blade_gallery9.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 129
Its also been reported before that a number of blasters were made based on the research done on the original blaster and that the Tomen's were also used so the comment @userd1402 and Brad Yeun made back in October would appear to be correct...

I love you Mark, and want to have your babies :thumbsup

EDIT: Tomen's would be used also for the promotional tour items. Much like the Star Wars Celebration displays actually used 'lookalikes' in displays of screen used props because to put the genuine ones in there would be just too risky. So the gun everyone has photos of from San Diego Comic Con is a Tomen for sure but screen-used? I seriously doubt it!

Last edited:
That picture is a Tomen, though. You can tell by how the trigger guard attaches, and the mold lines of the Steyr magazine.

Hey veektohr, would it be too much to ask you to eleborate a bit on that comment? as I said on my comment, I'm also quite sure this is a tomen seing the mold artifacts on the pistol frame but I'm searching for the evidences you are pointing and cannot really see what you mean. This seems very interesting to me.
thanks a lot :)

Hey veektohr, would it be too much to ask you to eleborate a bit on that comment? as I said on my comment, I'm also quite sure this is a tomen seing the mold artifacts on the pistol frame but I'm searching for the evidences you are pointing and cannot really see what you mean. This seems very interesting to me.
thanks a lot :)

Sure dude, here you can see the Tomen on the left has much sharper mold lines than the real Steyr mag. It's a dead giveaway. The contours of that filleted edge also appear different to me.

The trigger guard on a Tomen has a nub that fits into the same counterbore the crane's screw goes into. I think this was done to help stabilize the Tomen, since otherwise it's just a really small screw attaching it at that point, and the body is plastic.

46491f8df585e7d7fd961934a2d65803.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thanks for the explanation and also thanks a lot for the picture, it's pretty rare to see something like that. This is pretty helful, I might try to soften the line on my tomen thanks to that. :thumbsup

Edit: Actually, did you try to swap the tomen part for the real one? is it possible? sorry for all the questions but this is really interesting :)

Last edited:
I know from talking to Dan that they (as is stated here) came and documented his original blaster meticulously. Dan said there was also brief discussion about using his for 2049 but it was quickly shut down because his prop could never be replaced if something happened to it. Its also been reported before that a number of blasters were made based on the research done on the original blaster and that the Tomen's were also used so the comment @userd1402 and Brad Yeun made back in October would appear to be correct...

Harlocker says he studied Dan's gun and "recreated it bolt by bolt".
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inC4OXEWIBs
IMG_1630.PNG

Attachments

• IMG_1628.jpg
    IMG_1628.jpg
    244.3 KB · Views: 143
  • IMG_1631.jpg
    IMG_1631.jpg
    241.7 KB · Views: 126
Last edited:
I wonder if Adam Savage and crew got to go behind the scenes and shoot some vids and ask questions.

Oh man, K's blaster looks sweet.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back