Aurora 1963 Mummy.

ausf

I've been buying up old Auroras from my childhood and giving them new life. I grabbed this Mummy relatively cheap (not the 98 cent original price) and after disassembly and good soak in CSC, I had something to work with.

I didn't want to resculpt much, the goal was to pay homage to the original, so besides seams, I just redid the left eye. It needed to have the comical iris filled in and an upper lid added. As said and done, this kit really is a faithful representation of Lon Chaney Jr's Mummy's Tomb character Kharis. He was burned early in his afterlife.

Finished with Vallejo acrylics and some dry pigments.

Let me know what you think.

Here's the start:

m1.jpg

And where it ended up:

m63a.jpg

m63b.jpg

m63c.jpg

m63d.jpg

m63e.jpg

m63f.jpg

m63g.jpg

m63h.jpg

m63i.jpg

m63j.jpg

Looks great!

The cobra looks perfect and the base sand and rocks look pretty convincing as well

All in all it makes for an excellent show piece

The only thing I might suggest if I was to try an improve it or was painting one myself, is the mummy and his wrappings look kind of monochromatic. it might not be appropriate ( I forget how the character looked in the movie) , but maybe some darker skin tones to make the rags look different from the mummified flesh (usually the flesh is darker on mummies I have seen in museums). It could just be my own preference though

That's fantastic! I LOVE these kits, they were such a part of my childhood. I have a Frankenstein and Dracula that I built when I was a kid and have most of them, un-built, from when Monogram re-issued them back in the 1990's.

Thank you for sharing!

Dave

Thanks guys, glad you like it.

I was basically copying what I saw in the film, the face and hands were slightly darker because he was burned. I didn't want to stray too far from what the kit was supposed to represent. A few times in the film, Mr Chaney's hair flips up en masse as he moves fast, for Im assume Mr Pierce just gelled it down and whitened it.

Dave, these kits have a soft spot in my heart too, none of mine survived the 4th of Julys. but I've found and stripped a bunch of originals that I planning on doing this Winter.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back