Fullcock Blade Runner Blaster

Haven't poured resin yet. But yes, just pour, let set, pop out. Need to pick up food coloring today to make the amber color. I only had blue, green and red. Stay tuned, I'll post on this tonight.

I would be careful what you use to colour your resin. Water based colours won't work. I used alcohol ink for mine after following the recommendation in the resin product.

I don't think anyone was saying that the food coloring was going to be used to color the resin, it is used to color and activate the silicone used for the mold.

And that clear resin....can that be used to make thick copies? I thought that particular make was only supposed to be used to seal bar tops or just blanket things with a thin layer.

Finally got the second grip cast. Picked up some amber resin tint at Hobby Lobby tonight as well. I'll cast the grips tomorrow. Fingers crossed....

Attachments

• 0925171942.jpg
    0925171942.jpg
    565.2 KB · Views: 100
Im gonna have to try that for other applications! 3d printing a arc reactor and I need to cast a clear ring. That looks like a low cost solution.

Well, we will know in 18-24 hours how successful my first time at resin casting was! I like the color, straight from the bottle.

WTH, their sideways again!!!!

Attachments

• 0925171942.jpg
    0925171942.jpg
    565.2 KB · Views: 117
  • 0925172127.jpg
    0925172127.jpg
    474.9 KB · Views: 133
  • 0926170919.jpg
    0926170919.jpg
    628.8 KB · Views: 148
  • 0926170938.jpg
    0926170938.jpg
    531.5 KB · Views: 174
Good luck with the casting mate , got my fingers crossed for you too . By the way , not sure what's what with your pictures , but I'm using a tablet to view them and when I ' tap ' on them they appear right side up on the screen :thumbsup

p.s., is there a specific name ( colour ) for the dye you've used ?

What's the working time on that resin? And did you have trouble with lots of tiny air bubbles being trapped in it?

Not sure what the working time is, but I will say it is plenty! I mixed three cups of A and B each, and that was plenty with a bit left over. The color on the bottle is amber. I added probably 10 drops until I was happy with the color. There were lots of tiny bubbles, a few I had to help come up, but it seems they have all popped after a few hours. The left over resin in the mixing cup is already semi hard.

Trust me, I was a bit scared. But it seems to be working!

I was thinking of making a two part mold so that I could still have room for a battery in the gun butt for leds. That, or perhaps easier, groove out room for a battery in the resin after it sets. Do you have any idea how easy that resin is to work with (filing/drilling/cutting) after it sets?

Cool, thanks Robiwon.

I pretty much followed same process as you, but put both grips in a shallow box. I closed out the ends of the grips exactly like you did.. I used PinkySil (2 part silicone) and Epoxy Resin Casting Kit, with a orange resin tint, 8 drops (into part A first), per 120 mil total (A+B) - Both silicone and resin is form Barnes supplies here in Sydney.

I just need start to plan the rest of the build..

Cheers Bryn

P.S. one thing is that the resin takes longer to cure if you add lost of tint, I had to leave mine overnight.. Box says that it should cure in 3 hours..

Last edited:
Those grips look fantastic, sla73
Thanks for the tip on Barnes, i have one here in Brisbane too
Can i ask what amount of tint you used in the resin? That color depth is spot on.

Just updated my previous post David re tint amount.. And cheers dude.. I totally lucked out on the colour, this was my very first cast, ever

- - - Updated - - -

Cheers Funky!

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back