Fullcock Blade Runner Blaster

Mate those look amazing, I noticed your in Sydney (I am in Newcastle) Wana work out some sort of trade? I could 3d print you the inner workings of the grip frame like I did for mine and you could send me a set of grips? PM if your interested ;)

20170918_190410[1].jpg

Going to invest in proper mold making compound. While the silicone caulking method worked, I did not get a smooth shiny surface on my parts. I attribute that to the caulking having corn starch in it. This would be good for solid parts but not transparent. They did come out good otherwise. Need to clean up the edges where it ran over. I'll call these Just a test and do another set in a "real" mold.

I think for the next set though I'll add a drop or two of red tint to my amber to get a richer color.

Attachments

• 0927170500.jpg
    0927170500.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 326
Going to invest in proper mold making compound. While the silicone caulking method worked, I did not get a smooth shiny surface on my parts. I attribute that to the caulking having corn starch in it. This would be good for solid parts but not transparent. They did come out good otherwise. Need to clean up the edges where it ran over. I'll call these Just a test and do another set in a "real" mold.

I think for the next set though I'll add a drop or two of red tint to my amber to get a richer color.

Yea man, good decision. I was blown away with the detail the pink silicon picks up!
Cheers Bryn

While the silicone caulking method worked, I did not get a smooth shiny surface on my parts. I attribute that to the caulking having corn starch in it. This would be good for solid parts but not transparent.
See if you can just smooth it out with polishing compound. Even the urethane cast ones you get from kit builders come slightly frosted and requires a bit of compound and elbow grease to get it clear.

Beautiful grips sla 73 and Robiwon: good results since you've used the "Poor Man's Silicone". Cleaned-up, they'll be ace!

Yeah, I'm going to go ahead and finish these as useable pieces. Trim them, fit them, and see what I can do to gloss them up. But I will also still invest in the proper mold stuff.

After being out of the mold now for 24 hours, one grip is now completely cured. The other is almost there. Feeling better about these now. Going to park them in the sun today while at work. Should be fully cured by tonight.

I had the same issue with another manufacturers clear resin years ago. The area exposed to open air while in the mold cured perfectly, while the side touching the mold never fully cured. That side remained tacky for years.

After leaving my grips outside in the sun while at work, I'm happy to report that both grips are fully cured! Mike Salzo posted on my FB page that the mold itself, the silicone caulking, and the fact I didn't let the mold cure and gas out likely caused my issue with the resin not curing.
Lesson learned. Let your molds cure for two days before pouring resin!
Now I need to clean them up and cut out the water tank from the guns frame.

Cut off wheel and sanding drum in my Dremel made short but nervous work of the grip frame area. Grips trimmed for basic test fitting. Looking good!

Attachments

• 0928171917.jpg
    0928171917.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 303
  • 0928171944.jpg
    0928171944.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 308
  • 0928171918.jpg
    0928171918.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 339
  • 0928171945.jpg
    0928171945.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 327
Picked up some proper mold making material today. Built my mold box, filled the grips with playdough, and poured my rubber. We will demold in 12-18 hours....l

Attachments

• 0930171511.jpg
    0930171511.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 273
  • 0930171529.jpg
    0930171529.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 228
Robiwon, Did you cut the nibs off the inside of the grips?.. For my mold box I used corrugated cardboard for the base and pushed the grips into the cardboard.. I had a small amount of leakage but the flap that was created was easily removed. Bonus was that This also gave me a fill line for the resin..

znJMbvj.jpg

Cheers bryn

Yes, I removed the pins so they would sit flush to my glass base. Anxious to see how they turn out tomorrow.

Molds turned out perfect. Now the hard part, letting them sit for a few days before pouring resin.
I also picked up some red dye to add to the amber for a richer color.

Attachments

• 1001170911.jpg
    1001170911.jpg
    460.6 KB · Views: 261
  • 1001170920.jpg
    1001170920.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 249
This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back