bondo or filler ..... how to fix the inperfections

vwcranky

ok coming to the end of my Strom trooper helmet, but the more sanding of the bondo the more small pin holes I find. Is their away of filling them with remixing the bondo, something simplle and quick..q
been told to use pre mixed wall filler but to sure if will shink over time ....

Try cyanoacrylate on the pin holes. It's liquid enough to flow down into the holes and will dry rock hard. You can also spread it around with an old paint brush that you don't like anymore.

Working off the previous comment, CA glue and baking soda makes instant plastic and works great for small applications. Heck, CA glue and some kinda filler (talc/corn starch) will typically work out okay.

The only draw back to CA is it dries rock hard. Thats a problem when the surrounding area is softer.....like polystyrene, bondo or fiberglass or ? When you try to sand over a CA filled pinhole in a sea of softer material, it will be higher than the surrounding area and create misery.

You have to smooth it out really good to the eye. A quality hi build primer will fix the edges.

Avoid wall filler, it will probably be too coarse,granular and insecure. I share Lear60man's experience of cyano creating hard spots. GenerallyI use a two part epoxy putty to fill significant gaps and smooth it with a wetted finger or dental tool while still workable. For small holes a one part modelling filler of creamy constituency works for me, but often I use car body filler thinned to an appropriate degree; just be sure to find the right thinner for the particular filler and avoid cellulose fillers, acetone or other plastic eating ingredients.

Like someone mentioned above use glazing putty. If I have pinholes, I usually fill it in with glazing putty, I use a 3M product and works well, this is also what they use in the autobody industry.

Good question. I need to fill and sand a bunch of stuff on my corgi Starfighter refit. I previously used Tamiya putty but it wasn't great to work with. I need something softer to apply
af6200f1823411d57c6f3dcc146af8e7.jpg
6d6e785a2fb150c41e057edda7575259.jpg

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Cyanoacrylate glue mixed with baby powder or aluminum powder is pretty good for small imperfections.

ok coming to the end of my Strom trooper helmet, but the more sanding of the bondo the more small pin holes I find. Is their away of filling them with remixing the bondo, something simplle and quick..q
been told to use pre mixed wall filler but to sure if will shink over time ....

Pinholes happen from stirring to mix the hardener into the bondo, creates bubbles in the mix. Fold the hardener into the bondo instead of mixing can help.

After you sand get an old toothbrush and hit the bondo with the bristles, literally like a hammer from different angles. It will clean out and help reveal pinholes.

To fill pinholes I use Bondo 'glazing and spot putty'. Comes in a tube and is usually in the same place as bondo itself. You can get it at Walmart for like $4.

Use only the most minimal amount necessary. Spread it thin, push it into the pinholes and then scrape off the excess.

Absolutely do not dollop it on for any reason. If you dollop it on it can skin-over, it won't evaporate and can cause issues. Spread it thin, no problem.

I use various putties from Deluxe Plastic Putty, Evercoat Car putty, to CA glue and it all depends on the seem/imperfection that needs to be fixed. I just started using Evercoat Easy Sand and Evercoat EverGold Finishing putty and they both go on smooth and sand very easily leaving no pin holes. One of the best things about Evercoat is that it doesn't seem to attack paint or primer from what I have seen like the 3M putty does. My primers and basecoat are usually lacquer based. Evercoat is a 2 part putty that needs to be mixed with a hardener. Once you figure out how little hardener is needed then its really simple to make these repairs. It dries in about 20 minutes and ready to sand. Evercoat is more expensive but one container will last you a very long time outperforming any of the Tamiya and other modeling putties that come in those little tubes. In the long run it probably will be cheaper too......Hope that helps

Glazing putty, primer, and sanding.

DO NOT USE SUPER GLUE AND BAKING SODA! The surrounding Bondo is softer than the super glue, and the bondo will be sanded down prior to the super glue (requiring glazing putty)

super glue and baking soda have their uses, but not for finishing work.

thanks for all the information .. i did what i could but, far do you go........ so prep done ... 2 cans of primer .... 3 cans of white gloss ..... looks the fantastic ..... untill i tried and put on some french blue decall...... FUBAR that, so just had to repaint that section ...... whats the best option to do this sticky back paper ???

so have finished the helmet .. but what the best finish .. i have use spary can's for the white and acrylic for the details ... been told varnish? not sure on that ... what best to use to get the brand new high gloss look

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back