Sanding/planing resin flat?

mark84

Hi,
I love polyurethane resin, It's brilliant and i'mhaving a great time learning how to use it and seeing what I can create.
One problem I keep coming up against is the back not being flat on a one piece mould, something that should be simple ends up being time consuming and hard to get accurate with sand paper.
Does anyone have solutions, sanders, planers or something?
Any help is wonderful and much appreciated :)

Mark

Get yourself a flat surface and stick down several sheets of different grade sandpapers, if you sand the parts in a figure 8 working through the grades that should help to get a surface flat, as far as getting it square to another surface you might want to look at how level your mould is when you pour in your resin, a spirit level is a good idea in that regard. another tip if pouring resin into an open, 1 piece mould, once the resin is in and up to the level/top of the mould, get a small strip of styrene and wipe away any excess on the top.

Hi,
I love polyurethane resin, It's brilliant and i'mhaving a great time learning how to use it and seeing what I can create.
One problem I keep coming up against is the back not being flat on a one piece mould, something that should be simple ends up being time consuming and hard to get accurate with sand paper.
Does anyone have solutions, sanders, planers or something?
Any help is wonderful and much appreciated :)

Mark

Glass plate + super77 + sand paper. Works a treat for everything from brass to pla :)

How big a part are we talking about? If it's not too big a mold top can be used to make a flat backed casting. It's just a flat slab of silicone placed over the poured resin. This could sag if it's too big though, I've seen other folks use a piece of glass sprayed with mold release as a topper.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back