Ken Burns Documentary " Vietnam War"

Really enjoying the series so far. I even downloaded one of the tracks off of ITunes. Who would of thought Trent Reznor was involved. For me it's a chance to learn some more of what my Father went through over there. He was a sniper, and still to this day doesn't talk about it. This last episode really hit home, when the soldier was talking about using a night light.

My Dad wasn't in Viet Nam, but a lot of his friends were.
One of his friends survived the battle for Hue, and another the assault on Da Nang airbase.
I know both of them.
When I was shooting CMP, I befriended a vet who served 3 tours with Marine Force Recon,
and one of my old clients was a vet - a Jeep driver for a general. He wrote a book about it. I designed the cover.
Even a Jeep driver for a general wasn't safe in that hell.
I remember as a kid going through my Mom's high school yearbook with her (class of '67),
and there wasn't a single page in that book without a red "K.I.A." next to somebody's picture.

Me and a girlfriend ended up living with her father for a short time - he was a vet.
Her family thought he was in Quartermasters and safe from all the action.
But I found a photo album in his house of him and his buddies in full gear riding on the tops of APCs on red mud roads cut through the jungle.
He would dive under the table at a clap of thunder.

I agree, we were inundated with Viet Nam in the '80s.
But a whole generation was run through the sausage-grinder for that stupid war,
and the reaction at home was literally a social revolution.
It was a stupid war. But an important one - for Americans. It changed our culture.

This one's close to home.
I hope the kids watch it, to understand what their grandparents went through.
I'll be watching it.

Finally catching up on all the episodes I have recorded and, already, this may be the best things Burns has done and may ever do. And I say this having seen all his films.

I'll be going back to the Ol' Country this October and this is a good primer for my trip. I'd like to sit down with my mother and watch the show with her and get her thoughts on it but, understandably, she's completely opposed to having witness and remembering it all over again.

Last edited:
Surprisingly, my Father has been watching this as well...and he has just started talking to me about some of the things he went through over there. I am happy in a way, but the more I talk to him about it, the more pain I feel for him. I was in the Gulf war, but experienced nothing, in any way that he or his friends went through. I just can't imagine living through the nightmare of fighting over there, every day wondering if you will make it home. Hoping and praying for light at the end of the tunnel and a trip home, only to discover and have to live through another nightmare.

Boy, is this show good and not just in an entertaining way. It fills in and illuminates a lot of stuff that I never knew objectively from both sides that just stories from those who were in it, that I've managed to hear, just don't as educational and enlightening as it is.

I'll have to pick up the series when I can. This is a must own for me.

Hi, I am from Germany. Here, the current generation doesn't know anymore so much about the Vietnam war. Afghanistan, Irak, Ukraine, these are the wars that they are aware nowadays.

I am a collector of vietnam artefacts ... most are US military. I remember the 80ies and 90ies, it was still easy and cheap to get. But nowadays ... uhhh... in Germany, touch to get and expensiv:confused:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back