Returning / Restarting after 10 year absence

Fxguy1

Greetings everyone!

I am looking for advice on how to get started / get back into doing some things after a 10 year absence. Basically I really wanted to be a makeup artist and so I learned how to do life casting, sculpting, mold making, appliance application, etc. I tried to tackle the hardest makeup of all first, trying to learn to do an old age sculpt / prosthetics. I even went as far as contacting Dick Smith and got a copy of his Basic Correspondence course.

The problem was that I had a hefty amount of student loans coupled with a wife that made taking the leap a very difficult thing to do. I realized that the lifestyle of the makeup artist would make it difficult to have a family and spend time with them. So I abandoned my dreams and passion, completed pharmacy school and became a pharmacist. I boycotted watching Face-Off because of the emotional impact it would have had.

Long story short I've come to grips with my decision and started watching Face-Off again which has re-ignited my passion and desire to do a makeup. The difference being that I simply want to do it because it is fun and I liked doing it. I'm not trying to make a career out of it, I just want to do something and be able to stand back and say "that looks good" and "that's so cool".

So I'd like advice on where to start over. What should I try to get my feet wet again and to build/ refresh skills? I still have tons of materials left over (although prob have to get fresh material). I know that my drawing skills are abysmal so I need to work on drawing /design and plan to take a couple of classes to improve that.

I thought about maybe doing a life cast of an arm and creating a creature / alien arm piece just as something fun to do. I need to figure out a way to get back into being creative and being able to think up a character and back story and then do the makeup for it.

What are the basic skills every makeup artist needs to have?

Thanks!

PS - I guess I should have mentioned I have the Prop Builders Mask Making book, Prop Builders Molding and Casting Handbook, Grande Illusions I + II by Tom Savini, The Complete Makeup Artist by Penny Delmar, Techniques of the Professional Makeup Artist by Vincent Kehoe, Techniques of Three Dimensional Makeup by Lee Baygan

Last edited:
You know, I have zero experience with makeup, but have sculpted for years, and have returned to it after a long absence. I applaud your courage, and really like the fact that you want to have fun with it. I am unfamiliar with the books you mentioned, but I suspect if you go with the alien arm idea, and have fun with it, those ancient cogs will start to turn once more. The internet is packed with videos on how to do almost anything, including makeup, and though I am brand new here myself, I suspect there are loads of folks who can steer you to threads that will inspire you. Much good luck on your journey!

Kudos to you and your decision to become a pharmacist...but as we know, the passion never dies down, like amber it's simmering under the surface until it has to go and be something else than thoughts! Ten years is "long" (materials and some techniques have changed, but nothing drastic). As Adsaka has mentioned, the muscle memory will kick in and you're going to get where you've left off in no time, I'm sure! Eager to see what you're going to cook for us in the future:)

I was similar in I wanted to be a practical effects creature artist - Thank god I didn't as CGI made that industry shrink (instead became a BIM modeler for HVAC,Plumbing and Medical Gas systems- which is an industry that is growing) - I never stepped away from it always kinda kept it as a hobby if anything just for Halloween. But as far as being inspired with forums like this on the internet and facebook groups I am sure you can find other artist projects that give you that "hey I can do that moment" also some good podcast like (Creature geek) and as far as make-up goes shows like Face off and Skin Wars are fun to binge. Good luck and welcome back to the fun!

As for refreshing skills I would look into tutorials from smooth on and other companies as 10 years ago some of the materials were not made so you may find some new options and new tricks that make life easier when making molds/cast/prosthetics.

one resource that is kinda a catch all for props/makeup etc... that I read and enjoy a lot is Cinefx magazine...you can get it digitally now and also all the back issues from the 80's
so look into that as well.

Awesome suggestions! I've started drawing again the past couple of days. Man I suck at drawing! But there has been improvement. Here's some sketches I've done in the past few days:

b8e471f7ee805c1f33f398194e5585e9.jpg

96279c5ab4896aeedb3118b2a2a79992.jpg

c7986cb86b3cad3d8346c3abc305d4b4.jpg
a5cbd32f6f937ee529fab7d7550a93eb.jpg

cbdb1d542c8a951ece3af4cb424c8ae2.jpg
10ade0a9409bec6573d24e314b9cf741.jpg

I basically started reading How to Draw the Marvel Way, and then started to work on a face. Then learned the facial proportions (which I still need practice on) and then dove into trying to learn how to sketch a realistic nose and eye specifically. Figure I need to learn how to draw the components first then learn how to put those components together in space.

I've got a couple of tutorials from Stan Winston School to watch. Biggest thing I think is going to be finding the time. Creativity sometimes takes time. Anything rushed isn't as good as it could have been.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back