3D printed DH-17 Blaster - work in progress

If this photo from a sale of a sterling on gunbroker is to be believed, the left side safety looked like this.

11028569_1.jpg

This is the only picture of the sterling's safety I could find. I was gonna go to my "big book of awesome guns" manual, but my copy was published the same year the sterling went into service, so it's not in there :p

I'd assume the model makers had no need to change the safety on the prop guns (heck, the originals were apparently all castings any ways), especially since they left the markings in place on the right side of the gun.

it's more of a question of if they should be there on the ESB Dh-17. The sterling has ARS (Auto, Repetition and Safe) on the left hand side but I haven't seen any Dh-17's with the markings possibly because they are castings and the ARS is a very shallow engraving on the real SMG which didn't get picked up by the resin.

I'll probably do both pistols grip, with and without ARS, and let people decide which one to print.

Love it! It's threads like this that make me wish I had a 3D printer. [emoji3] Thank you for being kind enough to share your files with the community.

Do you (or anyone else) happen to know an accurate length for the ANH DH-17 blaster?

I'm not 100% sure but I based mine of a photo and used the blueprints for the sterling tube (44.2mm) to work out a complete length of 475mm (18.7 inches).

I did a bit more work today. Nothing special but these 2 greeblies turned out to be time consuming.

I'm not 100% sure but I based mine of a photo and used the blueprints for the sterling tube (44.2mm) to work out a complete length of 475mm (18.7 inches).
That's great, thank you!

Nice work on those greeblies, I have some 3D modelling skills but could never do anything as complex as those. Subscribed for sure!

I did a bit more work today. Nothing special but these 2 greeblies turned out to be time consuming.
http://i353.photobucket.com/albums/r389/mightyairsoft/missile_zpsffmscj4r.jpg
http://i353.photobucket.com/albums/r389/mightyairsoft/piston_zpsjmkbdyzm.jpg

WAIT!!!...the L2A3 receiver is 38,1mm O.D., NOT 44,2mm

If you scaled all your greeblies to the 44,2mm receiver, the models are off.

WAIT!! looks like the models are correct. It was a typo in my earlier post. The models are based on a 38.1 diameter receiver and not a 44.2 one. Check out the picture below.

Nice try OdiWan72.

Started work on the ROTJ DH-17. So far it has a longer overall length and new scope rings. The cylinder part that sits between the scope and the blaster is also lower.

taking a slight break with the DH-17 and working on this. I know the lightsabers have been done to death but I wanted to try out some sketchup commands.

So, I'm curious about the "blue print" things it looks like you use. Do you use them just as a template to build around, or does your 3D modeling software actually allow you to interact with them (can your program tell that there's a "square" at a certain spot, and you can just tell it "make this square 3cm tall"?)

I'm also curious where they drawings have come from. do you make them yourself, or are there a number of such things just out on the internet for free or for sale?

I found the diagrams on the internet. you import them to sketchup and scale them to the correct size. I do this by measuring a line to a known width and fitting the jpeg to that line. Once it's scaled you just use the tools in sketchup to make the shapes. its easier to make half the model them copy and flip to make the complete model. It's probably easier to watch some youtube videos on using sketchup to get a better understanding than I can give here.

On another note the lightsaber is finished and can be downloaded here:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2569775

I've included a stand and a power panel than can be opened to display some electrics inside.

Gotcha. My main 3D modeling experience has been in, the now defunct, 123D Design. I know it had functions for using vector drawings to create shapes straight from the drawing; I didn't know if whatever you were using had an amped up version of that or not.

I've gotta see about upgrading sooner than later. I'm reaching the extent of what I can do comfortably in that program.

i'm pretty much self taught on sketchup. The good news is if I want to try something and can't figure it out there are usually guides or videos showing how to do it or at least point me in the right direction. I'd say sketchup is better for engineering/object creation but isn't so good with organic material. That might just be because I'm rubbish at that side of things!

Good luck on whichever program you decide to try.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back