Baby Groot FROZEN IN CARBONITE D: >>FINISHED<<

torsoboy

Sr Member
So this is a bit of a sadistic project for me, but it definitely makes me laugh every time I think about it! I've never done a crossover project, and I thought it'd be fun to freeze something small in carbonite, something small and cute. I'm also trying to do a lot more organic sculpture lately, so this is a great way to practice that.

I started off by mocking up the pose in Adobe Illustrator using existing photos of various products and screen grabs. I could have picked any pose, really, but I thought it would be nice to mimic Han's pose in the block. I printed this out to scale and taped it to the piece of sintra I'd be sculpting on so I could transfer the sketch to the sculpting surface.

37026145192_f7e612a5b9_c.jpg

36360209094_de76da2df8_c.jpg

Then, because I'm running low on materials, I blocked out the forms in insulation foam to fill space. I would then start adding Apoxie Sculpt onto it. Since I'm using Apoxie Sculpt, it's cure time allows me to really only sculpt so much before I have to stop. But because of Groot's layered body panels, it makes sense to approach it in phases anyways. As of this post, I'm done with this phase and I'm letting it set up overnight.

36383164763_f2a6a75258_c.jpg

37007053146_24783cc526_c.jpg

36383164543_fa174f8d13_c.jpg

Last edited:
Re: Baby Groot FROZEN IN CARBONITE D:

This is such an awesome project! I love it!! [emoji7] Subscribed for sure, I can't wait to see how this turns out.

woww love this concept. really cool crossover.
What will you do with the face? angry or scared/sad...

woww love this concept. really cool crossover.
What will you do with the face? angry or scared/sad...

I will try to make the face somewhat mimic Han's face. In my mockup, I found mouth and eye elements that were close enough so I know how to hit my marks. The eyes will be closed, but I knew I wanted those eyebrows to be down and tensed, for example. "In pain" is really what I'm going for. It's sadistic, but true to the original. ;)

I'm lovin' the idea of this! Kudos!! Subscribing now as I m sure this will look cool.

A little more progress, moving up the torso and adding to the neck's layering. I also added the second foot, as well as some vine details throughout. I should be able to finish the torso in the next sculpting pass.

36397220264_825433be03_c.jpg

36397220044_bfa76cdaba_c.jpg

More progress tonight. I got the chest done as well as the remaining vine details on the torso. I'll be sculpting the head next because I want to save the hands for last (mainly out of concern for their fragility, given their small scale).

36854941640_03249929e3_c.jpg

Sculpted the head this afternoon! It was a bit of a larger chunk of Apoxie Sculpt than I prefer to work with, given it's setting time. But it started setting just as I was wrapping up the main sculpting work, just in time for me to scribe in the detail work. It was difficult getting the facial expression right, though, since there's no instance of Groot ever really making this facial expression. But I'm pretty happy with it, especially considering I've never sculpted an organic likeness before.

Also, if you're wondering where all that gross carbonite oozing is, it's coming later. I figured I'd sculpt it clean first, and then go back and add that later. Groot is already so detailed that I thought it best to focus on getting him right first.

37268847755_e8e18fea6f_c.jpg

37078121826_2b34d9cac6_c.jpg

37078121296_7b42e2bdc2_b.jpg

Closing in on finishing the main sculpt! I did a little eye surgery this evening - the left eye was really flat, so I bulked it back out and broadened the bridge of the nose to help close some space that opened up as a result.

36546365103_5dfcc3e25a_c.jpg

I also started working on the hands. Because of the incredibly soft state of working Apoxie Sculpt, I can only work so much on them before I need to let that batch of work cure. That way I have a solid form to sculpt onto with some pressure later on. As such, I only have the palms, two thumbs, and one finger sculpted at the moment.

36546365353_907035df0f_c.jpg

37168616866_242e2c7c31_c.jpg

Also, in typing this updated, I looked below to the "Similar threads" section and saw that rgriesbeck was wanting to make a Baby Groot in Carbonite in the Project Runs section. I totally didn't know someone else was already thinking of this idea, so I hope they don't think I'm trying to steal any thunder! Purely just an instance of parallel thinking!

Looks great, keep it up! No worries from me, I'm too busy with the new Blade runner guns

Thanks everyone!

Just finished the main sculpting work - he has all his fingers now! It was important to me that I capture Han's gesture in Groot's little sausage fingers.

Next, I'll work on all the carbonite effects - the plate's surface detailing as well as those few "oozing" bits that flow over his body.

37220201416_fb0d80ea4f_c.jpg

37266924651_3a91156fbe_c.jpg

37220202066_5f902c898c_c.jpg

Great idea fantastic mashup! Also I love wood texture you created! What clay you use?

That is excellent work. I would be hesitant to add the carbonite detail on such a beautiful Groot sculpture.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back