Alien environmental MK50 suits FINISHED!!

Re: Alien environmental MK50 suit group build PIC HEAVY

Beauty all around!! Paint job looks really realistic:cool

Beauty all around!! Paint job looks really realistic:cool

thanks! Nothing is actually painted aside from the red on the knobs on the backpack and the black handles on the stomach box. Everything else is a natural patina from the brass powder mixed in the resin.

That is looking AWESOME! I've watched Adam Savage's compression suit breakdown video about ten times and the level of detail in these suits is insane. Keep going and keep us all posted!

We’ve got brass details! Now to get the rest of it etched.

36A3F495-55C4-4684-8FF5-C89787FA7F80.jpeg8A635463-0836-423F-8DE6-C6C7D7ED48C8.jpeg

OH WOW!!! Those etchings came out fantastic! And now about those laser cutter costs... ;)

As we're nearing completion of the hard parts of the suit we're starting to focus on the details. Next up is the purge system. Been throwing around some ideas and was thinking of using a CO2 tank and a solenoid valve but also wanted something a little simpler. Does anyone have any suggestions what might be able to achieve this effect?

purge 1.PNGpurge 2.PNG

This project is super cool! Great job so far.

I'm sure y'all have probably seen this already, but maybe someone else hasn't. Great closeups and different angles on some pieces:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1yRMxS7TT8

For the venting, what about a "mist humidifier"/"essential oil diffuser" like this:
https://www.amazon.com/BalanceFrom-...89094&sr=8-3&keywords=mist+humidifier+cycling
(I'm not affiliated in any way, nor am I promoting this particular item, just giving an example. Searching for "cycling mist humidifier" or "cycling essential oil diffuser" should get you in the right ballpark.)
The important thing is that many of these have an "intermittent mode" that mists for 20 seconds (or whatever - it varies by model), then is off for 10 seconds. May be a bit long of an "exhale," but you'd have something out-of-the-box that would give you a cyclic mist effect without a solenoid or any microprocessor electronics. Maybe you need to add a squirt gun nozzle to throttle the jet a bit and figure out some way to make sure the water inside doesn't spill out, but... can I say "that's your problem" without sounding like a jerk?

Added bonus: You can put aromatherapy oils in it and each suit can have a different purdy smell.

This project is super cool! Great job so far.

I'm sure y'all have probably seen this already, but maybe someone else hasn't. Great closeups and different angles on some pieces:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1yRMxS7TT8

For the venting, what about a "mist humidifier"/"essential oil diffuser" like this:
https://www.amazon.com/BalanceFrom-...89094&sr=8-3&keywords=mist+humidifier+cycling
(I'm not affiliated in any way, nor am I promoting this particular item, just giving an example. Searching for "cycling mist humidifier" or "cycling essential oil diffuser" should get you in the right ballpark.)
The important thing is that many of these have an "intermittent mode" that mists for 20 seconds (or whatever - it varies by model), then is off for 10 seconds. May be a bit long of an "exhale," but you'd have something out-of-the-box that would give you a cyclic mist effect without a solenoid or any microprocessor electronics. Maybe you need to add a squirt gun nozzle to throttle the jet a bit and figure out some way to make sure the water inside doesn't spill out, but... can I say "that's your problem" without sounding like a jerk?

Added bonus: You can put aromatherapy oils in it and each suit can have a different purdy smell.

Thanks for the info, i actually have one of these diffusers in my house now. The smoke plume looks correct though i would still need a way to push the plume out. gonna try some canned air upside down next to see if I can get it to feed through a hose. Or possibly use it in conjunction with the diffuser or E-Cig to push the smoke

More etching underway for Toms helmet. Using cupric acid this time and so far it’s a much quicker process and cleaner etch.

ti79fYO.jpg

Attachments

• 9247727D-FBEC-4519-BAAC-C5C006D17CA7.jpeg
    9247727D-FBEC-4519-BAAC-C5C006D17CA7.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 256

update.

here is the greebs for the control panel on the interior front of the helmet. i really don;t have a good reference for this part so i had to improvise with dragon con looming. if i ever get great pics i will do the greebs to match the screen used stuff.

here is the vacformed interior panels. i have to redo the the two back side panels, windows are too small. alittle to large would not be problem since there is a window seal on the inside and outside of the helmet window. i am working on the greebs for the rest of the interior of the helmet.

and finally getting to see some of the soft parts getting done by john P. happy dance!

thanks, guys. starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel.

John P. is getting close to finishing our suits. here are some pics. glorious detail work in these things!

got the interior greebs finished now for final assembly. lights and display panel. the top light is going to be super bright i hope.

i have them just taped in. i vacformed the greebs to save weight but you lose some detail. i might mold and cast them.. :/ we hope to be able to velcro the interior panels for quick removal to get to electronics. seems like a good idea... or we could bolt them in.

Wow!!! It's all coming along nicely. The details inside the helmet are fantastic.

Fantastic update; that helmet (and the suits) look very, very good:thumbsup

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back