Alien environmental MK50 suits FINISHED!!

Re: Alien EVA MK50 suit group build PIC HEAVY

playing with weathering options and i think i found a winner. since we are cold casting these in bronze we should be able to get a good patina on them like the originals. first i polish up the surface with paint thinner and steel wool. then i used a mixture of vinegar and salt and brushed down the surface on the armor. then wrapped in cling wrap and left over night.

cleaned up alittle with steel wool.

then final clean up with steel wool. i might go back in with some black shoe polish also.

playing with weathering options and i think i found a winner. since we are cold casting these in bronze we should be able to get a good patina on them like the originals. first i polish up the surface with paint thinner and steel wool. then i used a mixture of vinegar and salt and brushed down the surface on the armor. then wrapped in cling wrap and left over night.
[url]http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a178/oneeyedtom/th_20171111_130127.jpg[/URL]

cleaned up alittle with steel wool.
[url]http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a178/oneeyedtom/th_20171111_130131.jpg[/URL]

then final clean up with steel wool. i might go back in with some black shoe polish also.
[url]http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a178/oneeyedtom/th_20171111_161705.jpg[/URL]
Wow! Looks awesome

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

thanks!

major update.

pack molds are done and got the first casting along with the chest armor.

here is the 3d printed wrist part with model kit greebs for size reference.

here is the pack weathered and some of the lights attached, still need to finish painting parts of it. and we also need the pressure gauge decals plus the other stickers. plus the toggle switches which i have and the u brackets on the corners.

here the mock up of the armor on the pads. i still need the right webbing and adjustment buckles.

I’m finally getting around to weathering my gear. Starting with the pack.

BDB26920-61BE-4E2D-88AC-E7D9BC923E2E.jpeg1A61E3B8-49A4-4306-AD66-40457046CDA9.jpeg

Ive also worked out the graphics for the pack and have sent those off to be printed.

9B78A804-FAB7-43EC-A0F1-9E76D174D3D2.png

the stickers are going to look great! good job on those, cody!

here is a helmet update. still fitting symmetry issues but getting there. this helmet will be more symmetrical than the original..LOL....

finally getting to the point of starting to add detail to the helmet and working on the dome light at the top. still working out the size of the light one top.

IMG_20171205_143036_383.jpg

i don't know why photobucket keeps posting my pics sideways... bastards..
20171205_114612.jpg

20171205_114810.jpg

Re: Alien environmental MK50 suit group build PIC HEAVY

update some what. cody got the decals for the pack done. and the helmet is coming along slowly. the stomach box is coming along too. starting to the light at the end of tunnel. LOL hope to post some new pics next week.

Need to dirty up the decals to match the rest of the pack

xJxeqe3.jpg
[/URL]

well here is where we are at the moment. still tweaking the helmet getting everything to line up right, the two back windows need to come down alittle . along with the very top of the helmet. the light base is alittle too tall. so that is where i am trying to get it to look right. the stomach box is too deep so going to trim that to.
here are the pics.

Excellent work...yeah, that helmet is difficult to achieve, but you're making good progress. Keep up the great work!

Excellent work...yeah, that helmet is difficult to achieve, but you're making good progress. Keep up the great work!

thanks, and i agree . lots of complex shapes going on, i notice the bottom of my helmet was to rounded coming from the middle band where the dome started to the bottom of the helmet. it is alot flatter than you would think. the greebs in the back should be able to lay almost flat and vertical. also the back of the helmet on the bottom came out to far so sanding that and cutting it back. so i am sanding a ton to get the right look. but it is slowly taking shape.

That's looking great! This is a huge task but it appears you are up to the challenge. Well done, sir.

still looking for these greebs. 1 is some kind of hood scoop from a muscle car and the square things above the hawk space part is i don't know. 2 is some kind of grill i can;t id it. the pattern looks similar to the dallas rank badge. 3 is some kind of tube with rounded ends.
20729320_10155642847956340_4873292358919154013_n.jpg

here is the back. 2 these parts are mirror parts not sure what they are and top corner another part i can't id.
20769979_10155642849261340_2144437936496627184_n.jpg

Love your progress - very nice work! I've always loved this suit. Can't wait to see more...

thanks, i am in the middle of major alterations of the helmet to get a more correct look. the bottom and the back were too large so tons of cutting , grinding and redoing., but starting to take shape , hope to have some pics later in the week.

Looks great so far. I'd like to make my own one someday, ever since i acquired the Hot Toys Kane figure a few months back. Does anyone know what parts were used to create the surface pattern on the front and sides? I know they were photo-etched parts of some kind, but have no idea where from.

Thanks, we have not got that far yet. Plan to finish the helmet sculpt. Then Cody is going to 3d print the etching. The etching will be very size specific. Made for our helmet. I don know any one who just sells the etching.

but what they used for it, i have no idea. trust me. i have looked. i think it was custom for the design. not even all the model parts have been found that were used on the back of the helmet.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back