Black Series Poe Dameron Helmet Wireless/Bluetooth headset modification

daftPirate

Hi all! I'm a new hand at this, so let me know if this needs to go elsewhere.

So just after seeing the Poe Dameron Black Series helmets and its insides thanks to some intrepid members here, I got an itch to turn it into a gaming headset. I have no experience with this kind of thing; the most I've done is an installation on an LED lightsaber hilt. But the idea was too insidious to let go. I got my own helmet and immediately gutted it. Fortunately, they made that pretty easy; all the screws except those securing the circuit boards are the same size, and most of the parts can be unscrewed and lifted away no problem. Even the mic is basically just wedged in place.

The next thing was finding a headset. I came across the Plantronics Gamecom 818 for $24 bucks, which seemed good for experimenting with. Once it came, that too actually proved fairly easy to dismantle. But it presented some problems that I'm not sure how to handle. Here's a shot of the headset parts:
View attachment 758060
DwfZTXw.jpg

There are two major issues. The more significant ones is that the actual speakers of the headset are secured to the grill by some kind of liquid rubber/glue seal. Here's a closer shot of it; that milky looking gloss around the edge:
AqmEGI5.jpg

View attachment 758061
I have no idea how to get rid of it. As you can see in the first pic, after gouging, cutting and pulling as much of the stuff out as I could, I eventually hacked up part of the left grill and pried the speaker off, basically destroying it in the process. I tried applying acetone to the other one, but it didn't seem to have any immediate effect, and dried too fast for leaving it on to do anything. I've just ordered a heat gun for another project, so I'm planning to try that, and failing that, a dremel. I'm concerned that'll damage the speaker, though, so if anyone has any experience with this sort of thing, or other ideas, let me know.

The other obstacle, assuming the headset electronics are safely extracted, is that most of the headset functions are confined to the left side (which on the helmet only features the battery and the power) and the battery is housed on the right (where the "functions" are activated on the helmet). That's more an issue of how to modify the helmet, and I think will be a much smaller issue as long as the electronics are intact. Thoughts? Thanks!

Sidenote: Whenever I tried to post this on Chrome, it gave me an error saying it was blocked by the XSS Auditor. Anyone know how to get around it?

Edit: Fixed images

Last edited:
Glad I inspired someone.
I'm also clueless, I just Brought a bluedio T3 headset to gut. Not sure how I'm going to do it yet

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back