Falcon3Dparts cockpit upgrade set for Revell 1/29th X-Wing Fighter kit

Andrew C.

Hi everyone!

Just received my Falcon3Dparts X-Wing cockpit upgrade set for Revell's 1/29th scale kit and thought I'd share some info & pictures.
The upgrade set is beautifully done - the print, details & accuracy are gorgeous! Immediately set out to remove the printing support rods, do some clean-up and shoot a few photos:

AC 29th scale X-Wing cockpit front view.jpg AC 29th scale X-Wing cockpit rear view.jpg

Am one happy modeler, will definitely be getting more from them in the future! :)
Here is a link to their website, there are more upgrades and for other kits, too: http://www.falcon3dparts.com/
Will be posting a few more pictures soon, there is more to this cockpit than you can see in these two pictures.

Greetings,
Andrew

Indeed, those parts are really nice ! would be great to see some progress pictures. I'd like to see how the 3D parts look once painted.

I wonder if Falcon3Dparts also makes 1/72 figures to go with the Millenium Falcon ?

Indeed, those parts are really nice ! would be great to see some progress pictures. I'd like to see how the 3D parts look once painted.

I wonder if Falcon3Dparts also makes 1/72 figures to go with the Millenium Falcon ?

Click on the link to their website, they have pictures of an inserted & painted up cockpit.
Maybe they would scale down their figures for you? Send them an email, it's possible they might do that.

I actually just emailed asking about sizing some stuff down to 1/48th and was told it can be done. I'm gonna place an order for sure, just deciding on what I want to get.

The set comes in four pieces which makes it easier to paint: cockpit tub, seat, rebel pilot and clear visor for helmet.
The cockpit tub is cleverly planned out in advance for lighting and is ideal for inserting fiber optics and lights. The openings in the sides and bottom allow for threading the optics & wires. If necessary, the modeler can enlarge the access holes, and the optics/wires are not visible when viewing the finished model. They are hidden from view since all panels have their own 'boxes'.

New pic:
AC 29th scale X-Wing cockpit pilot set.jpg

Pictures of the Falcon3Dparts cockpit set inserted into Revell's 29th scale fuselage fuselage. Some plastic needs removal & whittling away to fit it in, and the result looks great!

AC 29th scale X-Wing cockpit inserted.jpg AC 29th scale X-Wing trench detail plus cockpit.jpg AC 29th scale X-Wing cockpit inserted w window.jpg

Won't be using the clear cockpit windows, the Revell pre-painting process scratches those. Falcon3Dparts is making a replacement frame for it, definitely will be getting that! :cool:thumbsup

Looks great. I ended up ordering a few things as well, should be here soon.

I built this kit a while back and I was really disappointed with the cockpit considering how much room they had for detail given the size of the model. Didn't even bother with the awful pilot figure.

Looking forward to seeing this painted. How do you plan on painting and attaching the visor/goggles piece to the pilot.

Yeah, the figure is clearly identifiable as Mark Hamill. The painting will require very careful micro-masking to get the crisp silver-and-black look. I haven't figured out the attachment of the visor yet -- probably clear epoxy. And be more careful than I was trimming out the Revell dashboard and rim -- I cut out too much; now I need to fill a little back in with epoxy putty! And the little hydraulic struts for the canopy are insanely detailed, but super thin. I'm trying to handle the cockpit tub as little as possible.

Looking forward to seeing this painted. How do you plan on painting and attaching the visor/goggles piece to the pilot.

Murph, I'll be using some clear yellow plastic for the visor. Will be drilling/scoring the helmet's sides very carefully so the yellow clear plastic slots into the helmet a little - much like real visor's would do in a real helmet. This way, there is a bit of hold to it, and also this gives a recessed area to drop in a bit of Micro Kristal Klear: when combined those two factors should hold well.

Cool, that seems like a good idea. I just got my stuff in the mail today, looks great! I'll post some pics this weekend. I actually just got a pilot and an R2, scaled to 1/48th for the Fine Molds X Wing I'm building, so quite a bit smaller than the stuff for the Revell. (Really wanted to do the full cockpit but I couldn't afford it.) I have NO idea how I'm going to handle the pilot's visor yet.

Can't wait to see your stuff painted up -
really looking forward to it.

Cool, that seems like a good idea. I just got my stuff in the mail today, looks great! I'll post some pics this weekend. I actually just got a pilot and an R2, scaled to 1/48th for the Fine Molds X Wing I'm building, so quite a bit smaller than the stuff for the Revell. (Really wanted to do the full cockpit but I couldn't afford it.) I have NO idea how I'm going to handle the pilot's visor yet.

Can't wait to see your stuff painted up -
really looking forward to it.

Thank you, Murph! By the way, have painted plenty of spaceships but very few figures, so I'm not really the guy to ask about figure painting. Am torn between letting my fellow Glues Brother buddy Martin painting it and doing it myself. Gotta learn sooner or later.

Looking forward to your pics, too! :thumbsup

Here is a new angle, with the both the new canopy frame and the cockpit together:

AC 29th scale X-Wing new canopy w cockpit.jpg

Wish this stuff was available when I built this model. The cockpit and the dumb seams from how they broke up the nose section still bother me. Could've filled the seams, obviously, but then you have to paint after final assembly.

You're priming in white on this one?

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back